Euro NCAP rating on Xantia shock!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Euro NCAP rating on Xantia shock!

Post by CitroJim »

Me too about feeling naked without a seatbelt on. I feel the same about a cycling helmet too...

I think I've told the tale many times in other threads but I'm still here likely only because I failed to wear a seatbelt in the Hillman Avenger that suffered a terrible crash in 1976.

I went out through the windscreen just before the car rolled and the roof was squashed almost flat to the passenger seat where I'd been moments before...

Those are the freak exceptions to the rule though; I accept that and generally wearing of seatbelts is good and very sensible...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Crash safety is one major reason why I'm selling the activa and keeping a newer car, whether that's the Leon or something else. I take my grandkids in the car occasionally now and if I were to run only a 205 or a xantia, I wouldn't be comfortable with the kids in them. I know that would be no worse than the rover metro and maestro I had many moons ago when my kids were little, but there are so many more cars now, and nutcases driving then faster.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Davie, you know the 205 bodyshell has all the structural integrity of a biscuit tin don't you? :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

CitroJim wrote:Davie, you know the 205 bodyshell has all the structural integrity of a biscuit tin don't you? :)
The other issue, especially on older s/h cars, even if they did have a 4 or 5 star rating, is rot. My MK2 MX-5 had a 4-star NCAP rating. I found a picture of it the other day, so ran the MOT checker to see if it was still active. It's not, and it had had advisories for rust for 2 years, then failed on a lot of rot the final MOT. If anyone had bought it thinking it was a "safe" car in that last year of it's life, when in fact it was a rotten deathtrap....
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The children won't be in the 205. It's for me only, local running, car shows and North coast 500 in September only! If I end up not selling the xantia and having those two as cars then if I need to take the kids in the car it will be the xantia. But that is why I'm considering flogging it and the Leon and going for that likes of a c5. I'd feel comfortable in it with the kids in.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Understood Davie :) Makes good sense...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickeymoon wrote: The other issue, especially on older s/h cars, even if they did have a 4 or 5 star rating, is rot. My MK2 MX-5 had a 4-star NCAP rating. I found a picture of it the other day, so ran the MOT checker to see if it was still active. It's not, and it had had advisories for rust for 2 years, then failed on a lot of rot the final MOT. If anyone had bought it thinking it was a "safe" car in that last year of it's life, when in fact it was a rotten deathtrap....
Mickey, you raise a very good and valid point I believe...
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

And that's why I'm not going to keep the Leon. It already has an advise for slight surface rust on rear subframe. When the weather improves it will get treated and undersealed but,,,,,,,,

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

daviemck2006 wrote:And that's why I'm not going to keep the Leon. It already has an advise for slight surface rust on rear subframe. When the weather improves it will get treated and undersealed but,,,,,,,,
I don't view surface rust underneath on components as much of an issue, after all, brake discs go rusty in a couple of hours. As long as it's only on the surface, it isn't an issue. It's when there's crusty scabs on the sills, floors, and parts of the monocoque and floors where they shouldn't be that concern me. I once had a look at an MX5 that was so rotten that it flexed and cracked the windscreen when the owner jacked it up for me..
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I agree with you MM. Some of these subframes parts on certain cars can need welding though. Horrible things to repair. It's like a high carbon type pot metal :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Euro NCAP rating on Xantia shock!

Post by mickeymoon »

lexi wrote:I agree with you MM. Some of these subframes parts on certain cars can need welding though. Horrible things to repair. It's like a high carbon type pot metal [emoji38]
I learnt to gas weld on rotten mini subframes back in the mid 80s as a 14-year old helping out in my nan's mate's backstreet garage. Looking back, that would be V, W and I recall an X-reg too that I worked on - only a couple of years old and needing welding up!
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Yep at 30mph collision speed the Citroen 2cv was considered safer than a xantia.

Sent from my GoFone_GF50X using Tapatalk
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Yep at 30mph collision speed the Citroen 2cv was considered safer than a xantia.

Sent from my GoFone_GF50X using Tapatalk
Having owned enough of both, I can only conclude that it was a moron who considered it thusly
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I had a minor collision in my xantia last year and even at very slow speed
it did quite a bit of damage I think my 2cv would have faired better because of the chassis the 2cv was crash tested rigorously.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:I think my 2cv would have faired better because of the chassis the 2cv was crash tested rigorously.
Using 1940's test protocols ? :wink:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive