Euro NCAP rating on Xantia shock!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Euro NCAP rating on Xantia shock!

Post by HDI »

Just listened to a feature on R4 on Euro NCAP, so I decided to take a look at the rating for the Xantia. It is shockingly bad! Just over 1 star rating and the written report is uncomfortable reading! It was on a '97 model so the later models will be slightly better by virtue of more airbags, but structural integrity wouldn't be much better. In a collision with the modern tanks that are now on the roads it will always come off worst! We all hope to avoid serious accidents but it's impossible to say that they will never happen to us. Now might be the time for me to move on to a newer and safer model. Wonder what the C4, 5 and 6 are like?!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
superloopy
My Cars:

Re: Euro NCAP rating on Xantia shock!

Post by superloopy »

Why didnt you check those models too while you were there?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

X7 is 5 star
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Just have! The C4 is notably good, C5 excellent, C6 was ground breaking, in being the first car ever to be awarded the maximum rating for pedestrian safety, by virtue of having a pop up bonnet triggered by a pedestrian collision sensor! TBH, I've never really paid that much attention to car safety but looking around the official Euro NCAP website is an eye opener! On the newer reports there is even video footage on the test selected.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I believe the reason why the Xantia was withdrawn from production perhaps a little earlier than intended was maybe due to the NCAP rating...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I'm not surprised! I'm on my fifth Xantia and think it is a good car overall but seeing such a bad safety rating is a nasty surprise! Although, it's probable that many other cars of the time were just as bad!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

HDI wrote: Although, it's probable that many other cars of the time were just as bad!
Very possibly!

How does the 406 compare? That one lasted three years longer than the Xantia in production...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Yep the Xantia's NCAP rating is very poor - 1.5 stars out of 5. That is for a S1 1997 though, I have never seen an NCAP result for the Activa or Series 2, both of which got side intrusion beams in the doors and side airbags. Maybe an S2 would have got 2 stars.

It's bad by today's standards but I don't think it's any worse than any other mid 90's car though - like almost any car from that era the problem seems to be a lack of strength in the A pillar and the front half of the roof - both of which buckle and compromise the integrity of the passenger compartment. If you look at most modern cars the A pillars are as tough as **** and don't bend at all even in severe frontal impacts, and most of the impact is taken by the body in front of the A pillar.

With a 10 month old baby I'm now also rethinking the Xantia as a daily driver due to the NCAP rating. (and also the petrol cost!) Even the tiny C-Zero that I'm considering gets a 4 star NCAP rating by comparison.

On the other hand a H2 Xantia while having poor passive safety does have pretty good active safety, Hydractive 2 really does make a difference in factors like the moose test. If you have ever swerved violently out of the way of an impact you'll appreciate just how stable and sure footed a H2 Xantia is in these conditions where many cars would get into a tail happy skid or spin out.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Don't forget the Xantia is nearly a 30 year old design now - and was designed pre NCAP for a full frontal impact only. Subsequent cars were designed for high scores on the NCAP test - but it's not the be all and end all - I remember one BMW was retested as it scored only 4* the first time. The only addition to get 5* was a seatbelt not fastened warning....

As I said before, the most important factor is car safety is the nut behind the wheel. Don't crash it, and you don't need to worry about how 'safe' it is!
Richard W
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Euro NCAP rating on Xantia shock!

Post by mickeymoon »

RichardW wrote:
As I said before, the most important factor is car safety is the nut behind the wheel. Don't crash it, and you don't need to worry about how 'safe' it is!
If only this were true... you're discounting the 30-odd million other cretins in cars who might crash into you.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

mickeymoon wrote:
If only this were true... you're discounting the 30-odd million other cretins in cars who might crash into you.
Indeed, but defensive driving and maintaining your personal safety zone goes a long way to reducing the chances that your paths will cross. Mind you, every time I come to your end of the country I'm shocked at how aggressively bad the the driving is compared to up here!
Richard W
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Choose your method of self euthanasia and carry on :)

Classic Car
Motorbike
Cycle
Walking
Wine/Beer
Fags
Worry/Stress
Bacon
Sugar
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Cycling is statistically safer than walking Alasdair ;)
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Stickyfinger wrote:Choose your method of self euthanasia and carry on :)

Classic Car
Motorbike
Cycle
Walking
Wine/Beer
Fags
Worry/Stress
Bacon
Sugar
Forgot breathing Alasdair lol

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

I do sometimes wonder how much these numbers mean in the real world.

I've been in one what I think I can call a reasonably high energy collision. Diesel tanker failed to stop at a give way, result being me ploughing straight into the nearside corner of the cab as he crossed my path, point of contact being the offside front corner of my car. There was enough energy involved that I did three complete 360 degree rotations, and the tanker ended up "with a chassis shaped like a banana" as a result of it.

I'd been doing somewhere between 55 and 60mph when it happened.

Injuries to me were a bruise from the seatbelt and two scraped knuckles from punching the wiper and indicator stalks.

I was driving a 1988 Skoda Estelle. A car widely ridiculed for having zero safety credentials whatsoever - even in the mid 80s!

Driver training has to be the best safety feature of any car though. If you've not heard of the Smith's System, it's worth a look into - it's all common sense stuff, but makes you actually *think* about it.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.