BX LH rear curly brake pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beemernut
My Cars:

BX LH rear curly brake pipe

Post by beemernut »

Has anybody had experience of replacing the rear left hand curly brake pipe on a BX 17TZD estate? Is it something that can be replaced at home using a jack and axle stands or do I need to swallow my pride and take it to a garage with hydrualic lifts?
If I am doing it at home, I assume I will need to jack up the rear left quarter and remove the roadwheel to get access to the pipe union at the caliper. With the car on axle stands, (do I need to jack up both sides?) will I be able to get access to the union at the other end of the pipe in the middle of the car and also be able to get to the 2 bolts holding the pipe in place on the support brackets?
Any suggestions apprecaited.
Beemernut
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sounds about right, would be easiest with complete rear of car securely supported, not just at one side.
Only tip I can think of for this job would be to WD40 both ends of the old pipe, then cut through old pipe with side cutters at either end where the nut is, you will then be able to hammer on an 8mm 1/4 drive socket (must be the type with hexagonal)to stand some remote chance of undoing the 2 nuts. Use of a ring spanner would just round them off and you'd be out with the mole grips and cursing otherwise.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've had to remove brake pipe nuts with a set of stilsons before, that is after I've had the spanners / sockets on them and all remnants of the corners are long gone.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Heat the ends up with a blowlamp, snap off the pipes, use six sided deep 8mm socket, works better with whole back end up in the air (My best is when they have a towbar, I hang em on a crane) you will also need 13mm 12 sided socket for anti roll bar clamp, watch routing and its plain sailing apart from other pipes that snap when you touch em.
Good luck its not a bad job
Stewart
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I found the worst part of the job was to remove the 10mm bolt holding the support plate. Access is near impossible.
The pipe itself is easy to handle as pr advice above - as it's no use anyway the fastest & easiest way is to snip the pipe at unions both ends.