End of the line for my Phase 1 Xantia - Attempted theft!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reanimation
My Cars: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI Desire
Xantia ph1 1.9d (sadly gone forever)

End of the line for my Phase 1 Xantia - Attempted theft!

Post by reanimation »

Help!

Yep TWOCing B-words!

I posted up in Aug viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55750
This became my second car lumped on a classic policy, I was evaluating it. I've not used it a lot, having a New born in October and winter saw off any spare time.
Since then I had someone steal an indicator unit, which I replace with a genuine new one, and I've discovered a weep from the top seal on the fuel pump, which is a bit frustrating as I spent £400 on it to get professionally reconditioned 2 years ago. Believe it or not it still drove well and never failed MOT on rust unlike my bloody Fords do, speaking of which our daily Focus is in for repair now!

So I had intended to drive to work in it today, but last night I found this mess!

Gutted, what a state. I don't even know where to start with those wires!! :(
the door is bent back and it's secured again.
They even mashed up the steering (Thatcham stop lock type device) lock Barrel. and messed with ignition barrel so the Key is tight.

It's end of the line for me I think which makes me sad, gonna make an advert here later. spares or repairs, I may consider breaking too as it's got 2 new Yoko Blu earth tyres, a brand new strut top fitted a few years ago by Savoy, that reconditioned fuel pump, a new alternator last year, new negative cabling too, a good battery etc!

Also considering taking off road quick and try and make Sorn before march tax payment comes out.

Help gratefully received. :)

:(
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Re: End of the line for my Phase 1 Xantia - Attempted theft!

Post by ekjdm14 »

What engine is it? I could be in the market for a half decent 1.9D (non turbo)... lol

Sorry to hear about the robbing scum though, on the wiring front it looks like they've just ripped the wires out of the switch so if you can find a replacement barrel/switch and key it'd likely all just bolt on and plug in. I wonder if they got it started but then couldn't defeat the steering lock? (PSA locks are a lot tougher than contemporary fords/rovers/Vaux etc, I learned that when I lost the key to my 205 and then bent the steering wheel pretty shapes trying to move it out of the road... and again when I pulled the same trick with my 405, i never even tried to snap it on that lol i just drilled/chiselled the barrel out to unlock the steering and joined the wires with a hidden switch...)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

It's a 1.9D no turbo! It's done 156k IIRC and always run on diesel, occasionally needs injector cleaner, but seems string and no obvious smoke.

I don't know why they bothered. last attempted theft was 6 or 7 years ago, bent passenger door, pushed around the corner after destroying teh steering top bush and left it there, this time via the drivers door they've really messed with the cables. I was too late to take a close look last night, there are two brown plugs on the floor, maybe I just need to faff with it. I had a Thatcham 3 Halfords steering look baton on there (second pic visable). I even live near a security firm! Wouldn't have been much of a joy ride thats for sure and diesel on the empty light. I'd only just recharged the battery too (previously flat)!

Cheers
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Also I think we would have heard them start it. Tuesday night was actually the first night we've slept after a week of poorly baby. Quite a week. I won't mention the bollard she hit with her focus last week...
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

no deadlocks on the doors?

shame that, they seem to have made a pigs ear out of it before scarpering. Even if they did start it the old XUDs aren't exactly quiet on a cold start!
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

chinkostu wrote:no deadlocks on the doors?

shame that, they seem to have made a pigs ear out of it before scarpering. Even if they did start it the old XUDs aren't exactly quiet on a cold start!
Do you mean extra locks other than Factory? No Its a case of bend the door and reach in pull interior handle and unlock all 5 doors!

Yeah it's a mess, I'm happier with a bent door (again) in this case than a smashed window.

I'm now hoping to look at those wires with a clear head tomorrow, I'd like to get it running again, it's in for sale section but hoping to update that when it runs again.

Yep noisy old things! :D
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Thought all Xants had deadlocking so you couldnt do that, if you hold the key round when locking it should lock then deadlock.
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

chinkostu wrote:Thought all Xants had deadlocking so you couldnt do that, if you hold the key round when locking it should lock then deadlock.
No, not all and not really early ones... So this one likely won't...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

I'm having a look at this now. In the wire pictures I can just about guess the big wires from.ignition barrel I think but I can't yet see where those thin ones with foam on have come from. Hoping the 6 barrel ones are all I need...

Good info about deadlocks I've been using the key rather than plipper but encouraging if I ever get a later car.
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Ignition wires from barrel. Two red shortest I've made the brown socket, doesn't seem to matter which way round. The middle length red and white are plugged in to grey. And the longest white and red are plugged in to the black.

The engine starts but settings are wrong it starts on second click of ignition but have to turn all the way and hold to switch off the starter motor. Hmm I've tried a few different swaps of cables but no joy. Hellllp
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body

Post by ekjdm14 »

Haynes BoL doesn't show me wiring colours at a quick glance, but the black plug should have pin 1 as the permanent battery live & is the main supply into the switch.

The other wire (pin 2) of the black plug is the starter supply wire, (if you can take the wires all back out again and then find your permanent live, you can then touch each of the other wires to it quickly and see which turns the starter over, then that should be the black plug sorted.

Brown, I'm not 100% but seem to recall that being the blower fan connector and possessing 2 red wires. Pin 1 on the grey plug appears to deal with battery charging and should bring on the batt light with the key in position 1. Pin 2 of the grey plug should supply the rest of the stuff like glow plugs, lights,. wipers etc when the switch is in position 2 (run).

Hope you're able to extract something useful from that lot.
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Thanks that's perfect it's running again. Turns out long and medium needed to be swapped. Messed with wires now it starts. Just need better connectors now.
Hoorah! It's almost a working car again so Mobile enough to sell and move about.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Or even good enough to keep? ;)
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

ekjdm14 wrote:Or even good enough to keep? ;)
It's an option granted but there's a few reasons to sell.
I've not used it nearly enough since getting our new daily driver. Partially down to faffing with child seats. Kids mean I'm not going out alone either. My current commute is train usually.
The car needs a little TLC I don't have time for now and now it's a street magnet in Manchester mean streets I'd like to pass it on.
Also my 2 older cars still need attention too.
At least now it runs it can be delivered, picked up or test driven or even run for a while to test engine out... ;)
I'm going to tuck it away tomorrow. SWMBO says I should SORN it tomorrow but less keen on that idea now...