HDi & XUD Differences

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossd
My Cars:

HDi & XUD Differences

Post by rossd »

Was just browsing through the Electronic parts catalogue and noticed that the HDi (DW10) is not that much different from the XUD (XUD9TE). Looking at the two engines in the flesh, the head is obviously different, the block looks similar, but the Parts CD confirms that the HDi shares it the bottom end with the old XUD, its identical! They have the same crankshaft, connecting rods, big ends, even down to the bolts!
So the DW series is just an XUD with direct injection!
Jon

Post by Jon »

The XUD crank is used in the 1868cc DW8 normally aspirated diesel. (501H1). The DW8 is really an XUD with a bit of a makeover!
However the 1997cc HDi uses a different crankshafts, 501E2 without rollers, or 501E3 with.
XUD, DW8 and HDI do all use the same crank bearings.
Why change a good thing!!! XUD diesel been going strong for 20 years now, and its rare to ever knock out the bottom end on one.
[:D]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Odd, my parts CD says that the later XUD9TE also uses the 501E2 crankshaft.
The non turbo XUD and DW8 used the 501H1.
Edit: Sorry, when I said XUD in the first post I meant the turbo version, eg XUD9TE. OOPS!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sorry, you are correct in that the XUD9TE uses the 501E2.
When I looked at this earlier, I chose a vehicle that had used an XUD7, an XUD9, a DW8 and an HDi, that vehicle being of course the Berlingo. There was of course no XUD9TE Berlingo, thats why I didn't spot that this engine supplies the HDi with basically its complete bottom end!!!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Why change a good thing!!! XUD diesel been going strong for 20 years now, and its rare to ever knock out the bottom end on one.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The XUD diesel bottom end is so heavy that when the pistons and valves have a fight, it breaks the camshaft instead...