MAP sensor help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrgibbs
My Cars:

MAP sensor help!

Post by mrgibbs »

I think I've got a dodgy MAP sensor on my '98 Xantia 1.8 16v. The engine runs fine, but every now and then it will just lose all power for a few seconds and then kick back in again.
This can happen at any speed and might happen once in a week then ten times in a day!
Can anyone confirm if the problem is likely to be the MAP sensor? Also, does anyone know if the MAP sensor listed on GSF (part no. N92538) is suitable for the 1.8 16v engine (I think my MAP sensor is located under the inlet manifold, not on the inner wing). Basically I want to avoid paying dealer prices for a new one so any other suggestions grateful accepted!
Cheers
MrGibbs
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Get your yellow pages out and look for a Bosch electronic factors. Had the MAP sensor fail on my Xsara VTR and Citroen quoted me in the 100's for a new part but Bosch who made the part were charging only £65 inc vat. Other then that try to remove it and give it a clean. Not sure how they are on Xantia's but on the Xsara they were a unit about the size of a match box. It would fill with oil vapour and eventually the car would stall completely but drive fine, the rev's would rise and fall and it would seem like a coil pack. But a draining of the oil by placing on a radiator sorted it out. Ran like new.
Hope this helps.
mrgibbs
My Cars:

Post by mrgibbs »

Thanks for the tip! If the weather stays good this weekend I'll set about removing it and give it a good clean. Here's hoping......!
wilsonkrg
My Cars:

Post by wilsonkrg »

My MAP sensor was playing up occassionally but mostly when I first started the car. Before replacing it, I took it off the manifold and cleaned the electrical connections and no trouble since. If you take off the aircleaner and airpipe to the throttle body, you can get a socket onto the top of the bolt holding it on and you can wriggle it out of the manifold by reaching in under the manifold.
Good Luck
Ken W
Owen101

Post by Owen101 »

Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me the exact location of the map sensor in a zx 2.0i volcane.
The revs rise and fall and it konks out easy when cold.
cheers
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Not too sure but on the 2.0i Xsara the map sensor is located on the end of the left hand side of the inlet manifold next to the throttle housing.
Hope this helps.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

According to Haynes, ZX 2.0 has remote MAP sensor, near PAS fluid reservoar
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

If that's the case it will be bolted on to the inside of the wing by the power steering reservoir. It'll have a plastic tube in to it and an electrical plug. About the size of a box of matches. Once clean by leaving on the radiator try fitting one of those cheap in line fuel fillers from and motor factors,it will keep any oil vapour at bay and you can use ordinary windscreen washer tubing to fit it. Just make sure that the tube to the MAP sensor is hanging down so no old oil vapour collect's in the unit. Worked on my Xsra VTR. let us know how you get on.