Petrol cambelt question.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Petrol cambelt question.

Post by demag »

I'm trying to talk myself into doing the Bx cambelt once the weather gets warmer. I've never done an east/west engine but loads of north/south. It looks a bit tight down there but I think I'll give it a go. Shall I get the front up on stands? I'm assuming most work is done through the wheel arch and will the crank pulley undo with an electric rattle gun?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Bick

Re: Petrol cambelt question.

Post by Bick »

Hi dave looks like no one wants to help you, you upset the click or something?

I havent done a petrol in years buy yes axle stands are safer, You should get the bottom pulley bolt undone with a electric gun - you may have to heat up the pulley bolt to melt the loctite.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, your BX is one of the easiest to do...

Work through the wheel arch and from above/below...

I can give you all the advice you need and it'll set you well up to do the Synergie immediately after. I'd say the Synergie was the most important to get done ASAP myself but as I say, the BX will give you useful practice ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Yes Bick, must have upset the "management" ;-) Jim the Synergie was done by Richard not too long ago.

Funnily enough I found an excellent post on the Bx Forum last night detailing everything. I lay in bed at 12.30am reading it. :-) I looked once before but couldn't find anything yet went straight to it last night. There are some really good pics and it looks ok.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh excellent, good to know someone still looks at the BX Club forum Dave... Seems most of its users have now emigrated to facebookland...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

If you need any more "talking into" getting it done, look at what has happened to the "indestructible" XUD in my recent project... Ok, so as I get into it it seems less likely the cambelt's fault this time round, but I have to say I think it's been brought about by a previous failure perhaps years previously. So yeah, get in there and change it before you have sore hands, shoulders and back from pulling the head off (which incidentally, requires removal of the cambelt anyway lol)

XU's are easy, petrols even more so I think :)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Haha I'll have a sore back, hands and shoulders with the bloody arthritis! I'll pump myself up on ibuprofen for a few days beforehand which hopefully will see me through. I won't be in a rush to do it anyway so if it takes two or three days thats ok.
I have visions of being locked in position under the wheelarch and having to ring the wife in the house to come outside and drag me out! :help2: :lol:
Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote: XU's are easy, petrols even more so I think :)
They are indeed, an absolute doddle :D
Jim

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

Hell of a lot easier than a full engine rebuild anyway lol
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote:Hell of a lot easier than a full engine rebuild anyway lol
Yes, very true and wise words! I'm paranoid about cambelts - especially on TDs...
Jim