Xsara Picasso 1.6 petrol clutch change problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Muppy99
My Cars: Xsara Picasso

Xsara Picasso 1.6 petrol clutch change problems

Post by Muppy99 »

Seem to have run into problems doing a clutch change on a 2005 1.6 petrol and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Ive disconnected the 2 gear change cables from the ball joints, just push the button on the top, but cannot figure out how to disconnect them where they are connected to the gear change casting. Is it just easier to take the 4? bolts out of the casting mechanism and remove it from the gearbox leaving the cables attached?
Also seems that the cooling system plastic pipes bolted to the end of the head above the gearbox maybe in the way, in particular the plastic loom bracket that is moulded to the pipe. Ive took the bolt out that attaches it to the head but its does not seem to move far. Anyone any idea whats holding it?
Muppy99
My Cars: Xsara Picasso

Re: Xsara Picasso 1.6 petrol clutch change problems

Post by Muppy99 »

Well I can now answer my own questions!
The gear change cables disconnect from the alloy casting by pinching the 2 little metal ears together on each one and then prising the black plastic part them upwards out of their slots in the housing. Need circlip pliers to pinch the metal ears together.
You wont need to disconnect them at all if you are only moving the gearbox to one side (there is room to change the clutch with it in this position) but will need to disconnect if you are dropping the box right out.

Looks like on latter models or maybe just petrol ones the wiring loom support brackets do not disconnect from the cooling pipe because they are all in one. To reduce the chance of snapping them off and scrapping the whole pipe it maybe best to disconnect the large rubber radiator hose so that you have more free play to move the plastic pipe upwards once you have undone the single bolt that fastens it to the side of the head.