lucas epic swap to bosch ve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bobcat

lucas epic swap to bosch ve

Post by Bobcat »

Hi all my 2.1 series 2 xantia lucas epic has sprung a leak! i have an engine complete from a 1900 xantia with a bosch ve pump and injectors, what's the possibility of swapping this to the 2.1, or does anyone know where i can acquire the top solenoid seals, tryed electro diesel in exeter they say that the seals are no longer available, can anyone help,
Bobcat a.k.a Tim
if it aint broke fix it anyway
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: lucas epic swap to bosch ve

Post by CitroJim »

You're much, much better off fixing the leaking EPIC! There is a guide on this forum how to do it and it's actually quite easy and a heck of a lot easier than doing the swap... The EPIC is far and away the better pump.

Your diesel man is telling fibs but you may have to search for seals. Look over on the continent if need be...

Also, the EPIC was used in Ford Transits so there is another line of enquiry for seal kits...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Bobcat

Post by Bobcat »

Thanks for that i can get a complete kit from Germany for around 50 quid but i only want the top solenoid seals, or am i
just being fussy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Get the lot and do the lot as it may save a lot of time and trouble later ;)

£50 is a good deal and a small price to pay to keep the car going... Much cheaper too than faffing about trying to do a VE conversion that may well end in disappointment...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

First of all, is it just a leak? Does the car run and tickover OK?
The answers to the above are very important in order to give further advice
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Bobcat

Post by Bobcat »

Yes it,s just a leak causing an air leak needs priming to start after overnight stop, misting of fuel around pump body , if externally pressurised with fuel after aroung 1/2 hour fuel can be seen weeping from the top solenoids, other than that it runs fine.
Tim
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Tim, on that basis, definitely worth doing the job...

I once dealt with a leaking EPIC that had been Araldited together!!! Araldite had been smeared on all the gasket areas and the pump was a ***** to get apart... Gluing a pump back together I cannot recommend :lol:

If you ever do want to do a VE transplant I can give you some rough guidance...

I take it you've seen my EPIC rebuild guide on here and the very valuable material that's been subsequently been added... The model for the article was the one that had been glued up!
Jim

moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

All should be good then. Is the leak coming from below the bottom plate of the top solenoid or from above the bottom plate. If it's from below, carefully undo the 4 torx screws and replace the 4 o rings. If it's from in between the solenoid 'clamping' plates, they can be disassembled, and again the o rings replaced. 50 quid is a bit steep, the last complete set I bought was 36 euros (genuine Delphi) Let me know where the leak is coming from and I'll let you know the sizes. You'll be able to source them from a local bearings supplier or the like for a couple of quid. The other culprit is the 'capteur d'avance' (sorry I've forgotten the word in English). Again this has 2 o rings inside and isn't supposed to serviceable - but it is. Generally if something is put together it can be taken apart, just a case of knowing how. Use a bit of masking tape and toilet roll stuck the black resin . It's positioned right next to the glow plug, gets hot and cold and the o rings go brittle.
No leak enough to stop it starting without priming is one hell of a leak! I think that problem possibly is another issue. I had one that leaked like a sieve, still started.
All the best
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Did you give a part number to Electro Diesel? I found both them and Hickleys in Bridgwater were reluctant unless their job was made easy. I don't have part numbers to hand at the moment.

My XM is displaying very similar symptoms to yours. It has needed priming for a couple of years at least if not parked nose down. It's been getting worse and worse. I assumed it was fuel leaking back but when I put a one way valve in the fuel line I noticed drips coming from the bottom of the pump body.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote:Did you give a part number to Electro Diesel? I found both them and Hickleys in Bridgwater were reluctant unless their job was made easy. I don't have part numbers to hand at the moment.
I've found that very much to be the case with Citroen main dealers when ordering parts... They are much more helpful when you know the part numbers...

OP, have you seen this tread where sources of EPIC spares are discussed?

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 52#p521352

Kev, thanks very much for your valuable contribution to that thread too :)
Jim