Wheelchair vehicle difficult to start - 1.6 HDI keeps needing priming bulb squeezed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

westfielder
My Cars: Berlingo B9 1.6hdi Wheelchair vehicle

Wheelchair vehicle difficult to start - 1.6 HDI keeps needing priming bulb squeezed

Post by westfielder »

Hi all,

Hoping you can help with our wheelchair vehicle

2010 Berlingo B9 1.6hdi

it's been difficult to start in some circumstances:

When parked facing uphill- the next morning it needs a lot of cranking to start (turns over fast, good battery)
Sometimes does same on flat. Parked downhill seems ok.

Today wouldn't start at all but after 10 squeezes of the primer bulb it started. Once running it's absolutely fine.

The wife had a couple of non-starting episodes where a message popped up on the centre console she says "something to do with pollution" Let it rest 5 mins and started ok.

I put on my rather ropey Diagbox and see the following 2 errors:

Any advice or help gratefully received. I'm hoping it might be a seal gone that's letting air in and gravity is letting the fuel fall back into the tank.

Thanks in advance,

Nick & Claire

Attachments
Bingo1.JPG
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Wheelchair vehicle difficult to start - 1.6 HDI keeps needing priming bulb squeezed

Post by RichardW »

Hi, welcome!

When was the fuel filter last changed? Those fault codes look like those generated when the filter is a bit blocked. If there's a bit of a leak on it somewhere that may account for poor starting. If it's not been changed in a while, then I would put a new one in (not all that easy!) and see where that takes you.
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Wheelchair vehicle difficult to start - 1.6 HDI keeps needing priming bulb squeezed

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur with Richard, being parked facing down hill will increase the fuel pressure and will also purge the system of air. By all means change the filter and when the car has been parked facing down hill check the fuel lines to the tank and filter for leaking diesel.

Peter
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I solved a similar problem by replacing the fuel filter.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
westfielder
My Cars: Berlingo B9 1.6hdi Wheelchair vehicle

Post by westfielder »

Sorry for late reply - yup it was the fuel filter - thank you