Time for new glow plugs ...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

superloopy
My Cars:

Re: RE: Re: Time for new glow plugs ...

Post by superloopy »

white exec wrote:While you're at it, clean up all the glowplug eye-connectors back to bright metal, and do the same with the connections at the glowplug relay.
Where's the glowplug relay located?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Time for new glow plugs ...

Post by white exec »

I'm sure one of the Xantia guys will post a description or photo.

Clean up all exterior connections to bright metal.
Check for any 'swelling' in the cable immediately next to the eye-connectors - this shows that the terminal will have got hot, due to a dirty connection or poorly crimped eye connector.
Also, if you are happy to do it, open up the relay, and clean the internal contacts.

This relay handles the very high current to the glow plugs, which can be between 50 and 75amp, and puts considerable loading on cables, connectors and contacts. Dirt, corrosion and time take their toll, but a good clean-up will sort it.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, the glowplug relay is located on the LH inner wing ahd hides behind the battery. It's right adjacent to the big earthing plate...

Can't miss it. a big plastic box about the size of two matchboxes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Got it ... thanks! I started on this simple (sic) job yesterday. I was on my daughters drive and everything that could go wrong did. I eventually only got the first two 'easy' plugs changed after losing nuts and washer down the back and then trying to retrieve them with a magnetic pickup tool only to find they were brass! So ... armed with more steely nuts tried again, lost them again confident i could pick em up this time only for the head to come off the pickup tool down behind the engine. Managed to eventually get two nuts back on only to realise i'd dropped the feed wire so nowt starting. Getting dark, gave up and have just finished off this morning. Starting is moreorless the same, slightly better with two new plugs so i'll be needing to do the rest when i'm feeling more inspired than i am today alongwith retrieving all the debris 'down the back'. And ... daughter not happy that i 'occupied' her drive overnight [emoji20]

Mike

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Some jobs on some days are like that Mike :twisted: Hopefully the next two go a lot better [-o<
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Not looking forward to the left hand two ...

Mike