Sympathetic Member, (Near Salisbury). To lend a hand, or a box of matches.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pgrant5
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 hdi estate 2005

Sympathetic Member, (Near Salisbury). To lend a hand, or a box of matches.

Post by pgrant5 »

Dear Citroen Members,
I purchased my 2005 Citroen C5 2.0 hdi Estate in September, as my friend said it was a good buy, (Sorry make that an ex-friend). After eventually getting it through a M.O.T, which was made even more difficult as the examiner did not know left from right! I then started experiencing difficulty in engaging gears, forum members suggested gearbox oil change, clutch slave cylinder, and clutch master cylinder all changed no difference.
I now think it is either the clutch fork, as there is a lot of up and down movement, or the clutch diaphragm, the car actually tries to move off, with the clutch down. I have covered only 100 miles since September, now the turbo has gone into low boost mode error code P0299, I think, and one of the air conditioning pipes was slightly damaged, when changing the clutch master cylinder, stupid place to put the pipes.
I am now in the unenviable position, of not being able to sell the car, only for a ridiculous low amount.
As it is beyond my capability to change the clutch, I was wondering if anybody out there will be willing to lend a hand, obviously I am not in a rush. I look forward to your replies with keen interest

Regards Peter
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Re: Sympathetic Member, (Near Salisbury). To lend a hand, or a box of matches.

Post by 411514 »

I think that you may struggle to find someone willing to swap a clutch as a favour. I did one recently and it is not a fun job. An amateur would be lucky to get it done in a long hard day.

Are you sure it is the clutch at fault? Some vertical movement in the clutch fork is OK. I seem to recall mine having say 5-10mm vertical movement, which I think is normal.

My first guess would be the gearchange cables. Are these correctly adjusted/trapped/stretched? Is it still difficult to select gears even with the engine off? If so, this would tend to suggest that the clutch is not at faullt. If the difficulty in selecting is only there with the engine running then this might suggest clutch problems.

If it is difficult selecting gears only with the engine running, have you bled and double-bled the slave cylinder?

Edit: just noted in your post that you mention the clutch appears to drag even with the pedal depressed, as above, have you bled and double bled the slave.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110