C3 front suspension query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaskin
My Cars:

C3 front suspension query

Post by Gaskin »

Having got rid of my Xantia many years ago I've not needed to post for a while, but I now have a 2009 1.4HDi C3 which had both front springs replaced last month. After 2 return visits to the garage involved to correct basic errors it has developed an annoying clunk that I think is related to the NS front strut top. I'm loathed to take it back again. Before I take it somewhere who know what they're doing I just want to sort out what is normal behaviour for a strut top!

The OS one doesn't turn when the steering is turned or move much when the car is bounced. The NS one does both. The nut seems to be tight on the strut but the whole thing can be turned by hand and it moves when the car bounces (hence the clunk I think). I tried to tighten the nut on the strut top, but access is not brilliant and I couldn't get it to move. Either it is done up tight and there is something missing from the top bearing or I couldn't overcome the thread lock used. Both look to have the same amount of thread showing.

So the query is which side is right and how should the strut tops behave?

Cheers

Duncan
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: C3 front suspension query

Post by Lighty »

The strut top shouldn't turn, I guess you mean the visible part when looking under the bonnet.
The C2 & C3 top mounts are a bit strange, and many of the aftermarket ones are incorrectly made in my view.
Get a lemforder one or genuine from a dealers and your problem will be solved if it's fitted correctly .
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Gaskin
My Cars:

Re: C3 front suspension query

Post by Gaskin »

Just had it looked at and the guy said that since he was going to have to take it apart it made sense to replace the top mount bearing as a matter of course. As it turns out the damper and droplink had been bent as a result of the spring collapse so these were replaced too. Citroen had a recall to fit spring catcher cups on 01-03 cars but stopped fitting them on later C3s despite broken springs resulting tyre damage and/or damage to the strut. As far as I can tell the catchers are the same for all C3s so options are to get a pair off a scrap early one (~£30 the pair), or buy from Citroen (~£45 each!).

Cheers

Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k