Xenon D2R bulbs what do people recommend?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Xenon D2R bulbs what do people recommend?

Post by Stickyfinger »

£65 each.......flippin eck !

Buy two get a free Xantia :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's about the price of the Night Breaker Xenarc Unlimited D1S bulbs for my X7 too. The older C5 II Exc. with Xenons had an additional main beam light which I miss not having on the X7, so when I got this model it had the original standard D1S bulbs and they weren't as bright, so replaced them straight away with the improved ones and made a huge difference. I DON'T expect to be replacing them again at that price!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
WidowmakerUK
My Cars: Citroen c5 hpi exclusive estate
Petrol 2Liter manual

2003 low mileage

Colour red

Post by WidowmakerUK »

Thanks Marc I have put a cheap set in it for a few days to pay day but I am unsure about these lights as they are aftermarket set they are killing 35 w bulbs and I am now thinking maybe they are 55w units and this is why it's killing bulbs. On my old lights the power unit was on the back of the bulb but these units are not the same the power unit is hidden deep inside the lamp and all I have is a twist fit power plug on the back of the bulb, the old bulbs said 35w so I replaced them with 35w bulbs but the died within a month over winter not sure what brand bulb they was the missus had locale garage fit them as I was away working.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You must get the right ones or you could have serious issues with the kit and these are not cheap to replace. What is your VIN so I can see exactly what your 2003 C5 has, then I can advise further. I know you have several C5s so I need the VIN for the one Xenons.

This is for a Mark 1 2004 model with discharge lights, so should be the same.

(11) is the D2R Xenon Dipped Headlight and does not have the ballast unit shown in the picture (see further down)
The main beam headlight bulb (10) is an H1 55W bulb. (12) is a W5W Side light and (5) is the indicator PY21W.
C5 Mark I Discharge Bulb
C5 Mark I Discharge Bulb
Your D2R Xenon bulb is 35W and should be replaced with the same. It looks like the one in the photo. The headlamp incorporates the beam corrector, linked to the ballast and the control unit.
C5 Mark I D2R Bulb
C5 Mark I D2R Bulb

Marc
WidowmakerUK
Petrol 2Liter manual

2003 low mileage

Colour red

Post by WidowmakerUK »

Hi Marc, yes that is the bulb that is fitted it rated at 35w but it keep burning that out unit they stop working or if you turn lights on and off it comes back on. Sometime it will flicker and stay working but normally I have to turn off and back on.
The light units are an aftermarket set but the power unit it not on the back of the bulb like the set that was removed, all I have is a plug with a cable on it that is not removable the cable goes down inside the headlamp unit. I am now thinking maybe they are an upgraded 55w unit and it's why it's killing bulbs.

I have sent you a pm with my vin number for you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Aaahh! That sort of makes sense now. Are you saying that the whole headlamp units themselves have been replaced with an after-market one - or just the bulb with cable and ballast?
To post a picture from your PC or mobile - just click the 'Full Editor & Preview' button next to the submit button below, then select the 'Attachments' tab, then 'Add Files'. You can either browse to the image on your PC you want to upload, or on a mobile it should list your photo library locations. Select the image, then add a description on the 'File Comment' box that appears, then press the 'Place Inline' button and submit or preview your post.

As per your VIN - the diagram I posted is still relevant and that is the original kit that was on your vehicle. It's really hard to work out what has been done. On the originals the ballast and control unit is incorporated into the headlamp unit, so I don't know what has been done to your car - but the original kit should be plenty bright enough. I take it the headlight wash system works when the lights are on and you activate the wiper wash / wipe?

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have got (but not used) a pair of Mk1 Xenon headlights. These should fit (ballast is in there), but I do not know if your C5 has the necessary extra sensors to allow the headlights to compensate for bumps in the road, or the washers built into the bumpers to keep them clean. They are slightly clouded, but it should not be difficult to polish this out. Only thing is working out how to get them to you.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The correctors are built into the headlamps - so these should be there. As Alan has (had) the original factory fitted units - the car is already setup for this system and will have the washer system. That's a very generous offer James. :-D We just need to know whether the headlamp wiring connector on Alan's is the original or is this the after-market one which could be causing all the problems. Do your units have any wiring James?

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

These headlights (which were given to me by myglaren) are just the headlight unit itself, with no extra wiring. The do have all the bulbs, but I have never tested them.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
WidowmakerUK
Petrol 2Liter manual

2003 low mileage

Colour red

Post by WidowmakerUK »

Hi guys, sorry for long delay in reply I dropped my iPad got it back today with new screen. Yes the whole headlamp units have been changed complete with the washer units for an aftermarket set the blast is not on the back of the bulb like the factory fit set but is under the reflecter somewhere the wire from bulb disappears down there somewhere. As I remember when fitting the units from another car they plugged in the same as the factory set, the backs of the lamp was the same including the washer units even the washer covers fitted from my old lamps.
What I can't understand is why they are toasting bulbs unless they are upgraded to 55watt instead of 35watt maybe I should try some 55watt bulbs and see what happens.
Tomorrow I will photo the lamps in question so you can see what I mean about the blast units. I do still have my old headlamps here but they are very yellow and faded but they might clean up if they have to be refitted for a while.