C4 Picasso intermittent wipe?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

C4 Picasso intermittent wipe?

Post by Old-Guy »

Usual problem, fixed-interval is rarely appropriate. Resorted to 'manual' intermittent today - using flick-wipe whenever the screen became too spotty. Sorted this on the Xantia (just had her 21st birthday!) by fitting a VSX variable-speed wipe-stalk. First time SWMBO drove the Picasso, she asked where the intermittent speed control is!
Dare I hope there is such a simple solution for our VTR+ GC4P?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C4 Picasso intermittent wipe?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Is the rain sensor completely free of grease? I assume the sensor hasn't been removed for any reason including a windscreen replacement? Check the Gel Pack in front of the sensor - is it nice and black or are there any milky sections anywhere? Failing that - good old comms unit - worn track on the wiper arm Guy.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

VTR+ doesn't have variable intermittent wipe, you just have to get used to flicking the stalk again! Fitting it would be a major undertaking.
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Time to rewind - does it even have a rain sensor then? If it has the rain sensor then it has auto wipe which is in itself intermittent supposedly.

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

No, no rain sensor.
Richard W
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Handbook very confusing as it is written as though all Picassos have all the bells, whistles and options but fails to properly explain how even the options on the Exclusive work. Even the detail spec for the VIN from service.citroen is of limited help. There is no automatic wipe as there's no A position on the stalk. m I right then in thinking it's a matter of Automatic wipe (Exclusive only?), or single interval on all lesser versions or is it just the VTR+ that gets an intermittent wipe at all - even tough it's pretty useless.
If so, what peculiar set of priorities: no intermittent wipe, but remote control of the lights, and other non-essentials.
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes very weird. I have positions 2,1, I, 0, Auto. 2 and 1 work as expected but when car is stationary, the speed decreases. Intermittent does as it says and alters according to vehicle speed. One press to Auto activates wipers according to rain intensity and also a flick to this position commands a single wipe. Strange that I had this on my Xantia series II SX in 1999, yet not on your C4 GP!

Marc
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Yes very weird. I have positions 2,1, I, 0, Auto. 2 and 1 work as expected but when car is stationary, the speed decreases. Intermittent does as it says and alters according to vehicle speed. One press to Auto activates wipers according to rain intensity and also a flick to this position commands a single wipe. Strange that I had this on my Xantia series II SX in 1999, yet not on your C4 GP!
The GC4P VTR+ only has 2,1,I,0 flick down from 0 gives one wipe. I haven't noticed if on 1 & 2 the speed decreases; as with a lot of other functions, the handbook illustrates and describes the all-singing-dancing Exclusive, owners of lesser models have to work it out for themselves. :evil:
[EDIT] Looking at the PDF handbook, only Intermittent is variable according to vehicle speed (but that probably only applies to Exclusive). The Handbook doesn't even recognise the introduction of the 6-speed box as standard on diesels from 2011-on, even though judging from the proportions on the UK used market, diesels outnumber petrols 9:1!

Even my D-plate MG Maestro, and the F and L-plate Montego D estates that followed, had variable-speed wipe. Doing 20-30,000 a year in all weathers, I simply wouldn't have bought cars without it. These days, being retired, if the weather is s**t we don't go out unless it essential, so lack of variable intermittent is liveable-with - though having been mislead by reading the handbook, it was an unwelcome surprise.

Our S1 VSX Xantia had variable speed intermittent wipe, but the Green Lady (an SX) only had fixed speed wipe; easily converted to variable by simply fitting the stalk from the VSX when it was scrapped. No wiring mods or changing modules - same (blue) wiper relay/timer on both cars front and rear!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I suspect that position 1 (and probably 2) will be variable insofar as when you come to halt the motor will switch into an intermittent mode. It might not though - you would have to try this out.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

The higher spec ones don't have 'intermittent' as such - they have Auto, which has a rain sensor, and can run the wipers anywhere from the occasional wipe all the way to flat out depending on how heavy the rain is. I think I had variable on my VSX Xantia, but never sure it worked too well! Maybe it doesn't matter in the W of Scotland as it always rains!

Yours will drop the speed one notch when you stop ie 2 - 1, 1- I, I-stop. There are also 2 intermittent speeds, the interval goes down above 50 mph.
Richard W
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

RichardW wrote:The higher spec ones don't have 'intermittent' as such - they have Auto, which has a rain sensor, and can run the wipers anywhere from the occasional wipe all the way to flat out depending on how heavy the rain is. I think I had variable on my VSX Xantia, but never sure it worked too well! Maybe it doesn't matter in the W of Scotland as it always rains!
I've never driven a vehicle in which the a variable speed wipe was really satisfactory; they all suffer from an inadequate range of delay: when it's not raining quite enough for the slowest constant wipe speed, the shortest delay needs to equal half the complete low speed cycle time; when it's only spitting slightly, the longest delay is much too short. Our Xantia's delay range is about 4 to 12 seconds; 1 - 12 would be much better.
Yours will drop the speed one notch when you stop ie 2 - 1, 1- I, I-stop. There are also 2 intermittent speeds, the interval goes down above 50 mph.
Next time I'm driving in rain, I'll experiment. This level of important detail is completely absent from the Handbook for any function that you care to choose; there's absolutely no mention of the 6-speed gearbox (with 'lift collar to engage reverse') in either the 1/10/2010 - 30/09/2011 or 1/10/2011 - 31/08/2013 Handbooks (English or French!).
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Old-Guy wrote:I've never driven a vehicle in which the a variable speed wipe was really satisfactory; they all suffer from an inadequate range of delay: when it's not raining quite enough for the slowest constant wipe speed, the shortest delay needs to equal half the complete low speed cycle time; when it's only spitting slightly, the longest delay is much too short..
My old 1989 Montego had intermittent wipe which was adjustable in four or so stages. It was perfect and far superior to the auto setting f the C5 that replaced it.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

P6 Rovers had a vacuum system to provide infinitely variable wiper speeds, it was brilliant, reliable - & pre-dated even 2-speed wipers in most applications!

Much as I do like intermittent, it seems to be the first function to fail, firstly on the Cadillac (too complicated to even think about a fix) & now, disappointingly, on the C15, more primitive but 7 years younger.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Tried it this morning; in fact the speed change is approx 57 mph - I think it might be lower when slowing down, but not 10% sure. Also, the drop in speed at stop is only when on full wipe not intermittent. It does say this in our handbook but it's a bit vague!
Richard W
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

On intermittent on my current cars the duration between wipes increases when you come to a stop. the actual sweep is the same speed.