Heating fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Heating fan

Post by CitroJim »

James, it would be good to know if they can be easily re-brushed... Chris, you certainly raise a hope there. Davie, perhaps you can give it to James, send via me if you wish...

At risk of going off-topic (again!), we also need one day to experiment with radiator cooling fan motors and see if they can be re-brushed.

I once had one in bits and noted it's a four-brush motor like a small starter motor.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

If you have one spare Jim I'd be happy to attempt it, I don't want to steal too much of your fun though and won't be offended if you decline.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm sure I have James... No, It's not entirely my bag so you are most welcome... I'm much more mechanical than electrical...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

Cool, we'll have to arrange a meet and we can get all these bits exchanged. I need to meet Zel for a wireless and get some parts from Alasdair as well as dropping you that clutch cable. Hopefully can do it all at once. Will you be visiting Alasdair in the near future? If not maybe I will need to do so myself or attend the Haynes breakfast meet if I can.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:Will you be visiting Alasdair in the near future?
No, not any time soon as my need to visit Somerset on a regular basis has now ended... I will however be attending the Haynes Breakfast Club meetings when I can and combining it with a day of cycling around the locality...

James, you are always very welcome here any time and at some point I'd love to visit you and combine it with some cycling around the New Forest...
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

I'll work something out, I have too much on here to leave at the moment even for a day. I don't think theres any real rush on anything we're needing to ship around and the situation could easily change in a couple of weeks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No rush at all James, I'm always here and I'm going nowhere...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Davie, a replacement, fully tested blower will be on it's way to you shortly with your own regulator module fitted to it...

Whilst testing, I was happy to note that the brushes on this particular (Valeo) model are easily accessed and very amenable to replacement as shown in the picture below...

Suitable brushes of a near size could be obtained and filed to fit if need be...
Attachments
Xantia Valeo Blower Motor Showing Brushes...
Xantia Valeo Blower Motor Showing Brushes...
Jim

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Speaking of re-brushing cooling fan motors, I've actually dismantled a couple (albeit Ford/Motorcraft/whomever their supplier is) that were U/S and open circuit. In these cases the brushes actually had years of life left in them & very little wear to the commutator. The problem was that the brushes had got stuck in a paste of their own dust & presumably road grime/oil. Once cleaned up the fans worked with no need to replace parts at all. :)

Might be interesting to strip a dead PSA rad. fan & see whether it's a similar story here?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Much appreciated Jim. Do you want the old one to excitement with? Or if you don't does James want it. I will happily post it to any of you once I take it out again. If no one wants it then it will be destined for the tip.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote:The problem was that the brushes had got stuck in a paste of their own dust & presumably road grime/oil. Once cleaned up the fans worked with no need to replace parts at all. :)

Might be interesting to strip a dead PSA rad. fan & see whether it's a similar story here?
That's very likely with the rad fan motors as the one I pulled apart was full of brush dust. An incredible amount... More than you’d think could ever come from the four brushes!

Sticky brushes afflict a lot of motors in domestic appliances...
daviemck2006 wrote:Much appreciated Jim. Do you want the old one to excitement with?
James is keen to have it Davie so reserve it for him ;) Before you do it would be interesting for you to check the brushes and see if they're sticky in their holders as suggested by ekjdm... Be interesting also to see their general condition...

The Post Office said it'll be with you on Tuesday courtesy of Parcelforce...
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Ok Jim, I shall send it to him to expirement with. James when you see this will you pm your address to me and I shall post the fan to you for dissection rather than skipping it.

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Re: RE: Re: Heating fan

Post by daviemck2006 »

CitroJim wrote: The Post Office said it'll be with you on Tuesday courtesy of Parcelforce...
That will probably mean I shall be picking it up on Wednesday as I am often out all day on Tuesdays!

Now, most eBay sellers charge me loads extra for postage, anything up to £20, as they claim I am highlands and islands. I'm willing to bet that you weren't charged £20 extra! I never buy anything from eBay that wants extra for postage.

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Heating fan

Post by mickeymoon »

daviemck2006 wrote:Much appreciated Jim. Do you want the old one to excitement with?
I don't think even CitroJim will get excited by a Xantia blower motor.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Bloody auto correct [emoji23]

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2