Heating fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: Heating fan

Post by daviemck2006 »

I replaced the drivers side motor and linkage today. The linkage broke, a quick look online confirmed only the whole thing available at best 200 quid. Got one from a local scrappie for 20. 1/4 hr or so to change it.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:Most are going that way now
Why make life so bloody complex? I really don't understand this drive to make things as complicated as possible these days... I hate it with a passion and do all I can to avoid it at all costs. It just builds stress and poor health.

Oh how I long for simplicity in all aspects of life...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Module replacement is easier Jim, it requires less training, less part numbers, etc.
Does it work for us ? well thee manufactures are not thinking about us are they :(
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sadly, that makes a lot of sense Alasdair :(

I find that attitude totally abhorrent but from a maker's perspective I can see why they do it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I don't think the manufacturers consider servicing whatsoever, just ease and cost of manufacture.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's akin to the growing number cars needing bumpers off for headlamp bulb changes! Rarely heard of before 2000 I suspect.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
elma

Post by elma »

Have you seen the pliers to change headlamps on the BMW 5 series? They are about as long as my arm.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The difficulty of bulb changing raises an interesting question - in many jurisdictions it is a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs and have all lights working at all times...

How is one supposed to do a roadside bulb change on these sort of vehicles? Technically if you don't you are breaking the law...
Jim

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's a good point Jim - luckily I can get to my rear bulbs and the D1S (but wouldn't carry a spare DRL! and that's not an easy or quick replacement) - I doubt many would be carrying a spare D1S Xenon about though as these are rather expensive - I think my Osram Xenarc Nightbreakers were about £140 for the 2 and I wouldn't be wanting to risk getting these damaged in the boot! Plus they recommend replacing these in pairs.... I guess the answer is that with the move to OEM LEDs and their longer lifespan, it should be less of a problem in future.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is a dipped headlamp bulb out then you can at least proceed legally on sidelamps and fogs.

Have you seen the proposal to increase the time for the first MOT to four years?
elma

Post by elma »

I thought the rules on bulbs said if a bulb fails on a journey that you may proceed to the end of the journey but not start a new one until repaired. Thats how I usually play it with the Scenic as they are so awkward to change in the light I won't do them in the dark.
The Xantias another matter, I can change them faster than most people brush their teeth even on the V6.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Does anyone recall the incident with boristhespie when the police wouldn't let him drive home - a distance of only a few miles, but made him leave the car and take a taxi home - offered no help whatsoever.
elma

Post by elma »

I knew it was written in the regs, but only in daylight. If the Suns gone down you can't move the car until it is repaired. I always carry spare bulbs so would hope to get away with it by changing it there and then if stopped. Modern bumper off cars, leave them there or call recovery according to the letter of the RTA.

Road Vehicle Lighting Regs 1989

23.—(1) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle unless the headlamps are in good working order and, in the case of a lamp, clean.

This does not apply to a a defective lamp on a vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset, if any such lamp became defective during the journey which is in progress or if arrangements have been made to remedy the defect with all reasonable expedition.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

WRT four years until the first MOT, that's been talked about for quite a few years. Unsurprisingly, the motor trade has been fighting against this move claiming that it reduces safety. I'm not sure if raising the interval between tests to two years is also on the table. This is the system that is currently in use in France.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

The Police can stop you if they think having lamps out is dangerous, for example, fog, and total failure on the outside headlamps and side lights rendering the failure dangerous for the conditions at the time.
It is down to the copper at the time.

Just ask him if his JamJar had the same fault, would he walk back to the station and leave it there :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting