Grand C4 Picasso - pollen filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Grand C4 Picasso - pollen filter

Post by Old-Guy »

Sorry another basic question and there's no BoL to fall back on! :rofl2:

I'm assuming it does have one. Knowing from the old blue Xantia VSX, that it's one item that can be repeatedly 'missed' at services, (the VSX had a Full Service History showing 'services' at the proper intervals, but the totally choked and broken pollen filter I removed was dated over 10 years previously!), I thought it would be a good idea to check the Picasso's pollen filter.

But I've no idea where it is - can anyone enlighten me please?

Is there a 'trick' to removing it (like the S1 Xantia) so that you don't break something vital?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: Grand C4 Picasso - pollen filter

Post by demag »

Behind the glove box?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What's your VIN and I'll check for you
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Thanks chaps. I'd had a look at service.citroen, so I know it has one (I was joking) and I know it goes into one side (but which?) of the heater/air-con unit, but even when I've found it, I don't know how it comes out without breaking anything. I'm not familiar with design conventions of C21 cars - give me a 'green-blood' problem and I'm at home.
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Old-Guy wrote:Thanks chaps. I'd had a look at service.citroen, so I know it has one (I was joking) and I know it goes into one side (but which?) of the heater/air-con unit, but even when I've found it, I don't know how it comes out without breaking anything. I'm not familiar with design conventions of C21 cars - give me a 'green-blood' problem and I'm at home.
I can't help without your VIN - I'm not looking at service Citroen - I have the service documents with the detailed info.

Marc
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Changed one on a friend's recently with the aid of a YouTube vid. You get at it from the driver's side footwell. There's a couple of trim screws to undo, then you can get your hand up behind the centre console, pop the filter cover out and waggle both (yes there's two elements) out of it, then put the new ones in.

I'll see if I can find the video. It's literally a 5 min job.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

A 5 minute job? You're having a laugh - unless it's different to mine (mind you it would be much easier on an auto).

1st remove the trim panel above the pedals, 2 or 3 torx screws plus plastic clips, then lever it off the A pillar (or break the clip as I did on mine). Now get your head in the foot well, look up past the clutch pedal and you will see a vertical black cover clipped on - unclip and remove this. You will now have access to the filter; you may see a tab on the end of it, and you might need a pair of long nosed pliers to start it. Now you will find that the crass design of the housing causes you problems. You have to bend the filter round to get it out, but when you do this, the pleats catch on the housing, and in particular a nice moulding that has a pin that sticks out into the pleats. Only way I could get it out was to reach up behind the clutch pedal with my left hand and push on the face of the filter, whilst pulling at the same time with your right hand sort of threaded up between the brake and clutch. Then lift the second one up so you can get it out the housing - thankfully easier than the first. Then you have to get them back in... at least that's a bit easier!

My advice - get someone else (not me!!) to do it!!
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

:rofl2: That's what I thought! These are all a bit different depending on the model hence why I asked for the VIN.

Marc
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

mickeymoon wrote: You get at it from the driver's side footwell.
Sounds like one of those right hand drive afterthoughts. Good way to make a 5 minute job take all morning.
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Grand C4 Picasso - pollen filter

Post by mickeymoon »

RichardW wrote:A 5 minute job? You're having a laugh - unless it's different to mine
No. It was exactly the same as that and took me the time it takes for my friend to walk from my house to hers, which is about 1/3rd of a mile.

I just watched the video a few times, and followed it.

If the OP is anywhere near me I'll happily do it for free..
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Checked on service.citroen and it recommends removing the air outlet duct - this would certainly make it easier, but I couldn't see how to do it. Service.citroen suggests there is a bolt / screw under the bottom edge - I'll have to have a better look next time (shudder....!) Book time 30 minutes.
Richard W
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

This was the video I watched a few times.

Bear in mind I'd never seen the C4 GP before, it still took me a very short time.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

RichardW wrote:A 5 minute job? You're having a laugh - unless it's different to mine (mind you it would be much easier on an auto).

1st remove the trim panel above the pedals, 2 or 3 torx screws plus plastic clips, then lever it off the A pillar (or break the clip as I did on mine). Now get your head in the foot well, look up past the clutch pedal and you will see a vertical black cover clipped on - unclip and remove this. You will now have access to the filter; you may see a tab on the end of it, and you might need a pair of long nosed pliers to start it. Now you will find that the crass design of the housing causes you problems. You have to bend the filter round to get it out, but when you do this, the pleats catch on the housing, and in particular a nice moulding that has a pin that sticks out into the pleats. Only way I could get it out was to reach up behind the clutch pedal with my left hand and push on the face of the filter, whilst pulling at the same time with your right hand sort of threaded up between the brake and clutch. Then lift the second one up so you can get it out the housing - thankfully easier than the first. Then you have to get them back in... at least that's a bit easier!

My advice - get someone else (not me!!) to do it!!
Last time I did footwell contortions like that (replacing Xantia clutch cable) I had a heart attack - literally!
I'll definitely get someone else to do it. I thought the Xantia pollen filter was a bit of a sod the first time (but it's not difficult once you know how!), but the C4 Picasso sounds much worse.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

mickeymoon wrote:This was the video I watched a few times.
Bear in mind I'd never seen the C4 GP before, it still took me a very short time.
That filter in the video looked too white to me -a knock off cheapy one methinks. The proper ones contain activated carbon, so should be slightly grey in colour to start with. The originals certainly are - so I wouldn't expect the one he's put in for a fiver to do much purifying!

I'm just about to order an original pollen filter for my X7, as I'm going to disinfect the inside of the filter box with some Dettol spray disinfectant. The car doesn't smell generally, but when the heater is on high heat (which is very rarely) it smells a bit stale - and I'm not talking about the known 'burnt curry heater matrix on the way out issue' - there's nothing wrong with that. I think there must be some water accumulation at the bottom of the matrix box area that's probably gone a bit stale and whenever I have the heater on hot it evaporates it and hence the smell. I've already had a brand new air conditioning condenser and compressor and the air con system fully serviced and cleaned, so I'm going to try this area next and give it a good clean out.

I doubt I'll be able to take a video at the same time, despite practising being a contortionist in the run up. Apart from that, there'll probably be too many expletives to publish it anyway!

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Cunningly in the LH footwell on an X7, so the RHD conversion works in your favour!!
Richard W