C5 MK1 2.0 HDI '03. LDS low in tank.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samjmann
My Cars:

C5 MK1 2.0 HDI '03. LDS low in tank.

Post by samjmann »

Hi,

I had a 'return fluid pipe' separate in the NSF wheel arch. I didn't notice anything at all for months except a tiny amount of LDS visible in water when I washed the car. The pipe breakage was picked up in a MOT last November, I had the fault put right, the 'slightly different than normal noise' from the pump when the car 'wakes-up' after been parked then stopped. This noise returned yesterday, I had a look at the LDS tank and it was dry...

I've put 1 litre of LDS in, but there is still nothing showing on the marker in the filler. I'm fairly sure that there is no leak, (not on the high pressure side anyway) as the ride and pump action are as normal. How much does it take to fill/part fill the system? I wasn't charged for any LDS when the return pipe was replaced, so I can only assume the level was low then as well...

I've had three suspension leaks on the car in the past, and I now recognise what LDS and water look like on concrete as apposed to engine oil and water! At £10 a litre for Total LDS I'm a bit cautious about just poring more and more of the stuff in.

Is it OK to top the level up or does the tank have to pressurised? When I release the cap there is pressure released.

Thank you in advance for any advice. SJM.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: C5 MK1 2.0 HDI '03. LDS low in tank.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The way to check the level (and to fill the tank, if required) is with the car bottomed out. Take the cap off (yes, it is normal for there to be a little bit of pressure), and then take a look. Ideally there should be LDS between the upper and lower markers (I have attached a photo, to illustrate). If there is not you will need to add some more.

Last edited by myglaren on 10 Jan 2017, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
samjmann
My Cars:

Post by samjmann »

Thanks Hell Razor5543,

I didn't know the suspension had to be set to low to fill the tank. I'll have a careful look under the car in the morning before I set off, just hoping there is no leaks. The odd noise from the pump is perhaps it priming when the level is low. Despite putting a litre in there appears to be nothing in the tank.
Cheers SJM.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

samjmann wrote:Thanks Hell Razor5543,

I didn't know the suspension had to be set to low to fill the tank. I'll have a careful look under the car in the morning before I set off, just hoping there is no leaks. The odd noise from the pump is perhaps it priming when the level is low. Despite putting a litre in there appears to be nothing in the tank.
Cheers SJM.
Well it must of been low in that case. Clean up any LDS around the tank and surrounding areas, top up the reservoir to the marks whilst car is on lowest suspension setting. Try and place some cardboard or similar on the ground under the front area and leave overnight, to try and identify where it is leaking from.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's possible that a sphere membrane has ruptured, and some of the fluid is now filling the gas cavity.
Is the suspension still soft on all four corners?
samjmann
My Cars:

Post by samjmann »

Thanks again for the replies,

The car has been fine since I put 1.75 Litres of LDS into the system..! There was a leak on the return side on the NSF return pipe in the wheel arch. I had this put right last November, however as far as I know no LDS was added to the system! I wasn't charged for any. I had noticed an odd spot of LDS on the driveway last year, going back as far as last summer, but had not been able to trace it!

Having said this, this afternoon, the suspension suddenly went rock hard on all four wheels. This happened after going down a very steep hill and then having to go over numerous speed cushions. I stopped the car and cycled the suspension a few times from bottom to top and all appeared OK. The car is now driving normally, but I'll do a check on the LDS again tomorrow. I've read on another post on the forum that the system may need to be bled to allow air to escape. As the return pipe from the NSF sphere was for months not connected; after connecting up now there must be air in the system -I think! I will keep a close check for any leaks

When the pump starts, sometimes there is a slight squeal from it after which it runs quietly. Other times, it will pump quietly without the initial squeal.
Is it possible that the return is full of air locks?

BTW, Lexi that's a good price for the LDS. I paid £9.18 trade inc VAT from a national motor factors.

Cheers, SJM