So whats your plan now their are no longer green or orange blooded Citroens being made?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: So whats your plan now their are no longer green or orange blooded Citroens being made?

Post by wurlycorner »

Homer wrote:It's a shame they decided continuing with hydropneumatic was too expensive and I think it's a position they put themselves in by making it too complicated, the old mechanical system worked just fine and was simple. There never was any need to try turn it into some advanced system no other car of the same class has.
It's the other way round. The c5 suspension system is so, so much simpler than on a cx and as a result way, way cheaper to manufacture, install and maintain. It only 'sounds' complicated because it includes electronics which most people don't understand, but it has a lot less than half the pressure pipework compared to a cx\bx/xantia, basically no mechanical valves, no return pipes, no accumulator spheres... Etc.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: So whats your plan now their are no longer green or orange blooded Citroens being made?

Post by Peter.N. »

Its certainly very heavy but it is possible especially once on a good road, the brakes have a reservoir that lasts sometime. I have driven XMs for some distance with no hydraulics, they ride quite well on the bump stops.

Peter
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Like most of these older cars, looking back is mostly with a fondness............for your younger years!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:Like most of these older cars, looking back is mostly with a fondness............for your younger years!
:lol: Ain't that just so!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

It's not just rose-tinted memories - many of those cars were much simpler to maintain, and without electronic complexity, and the multiplying faults that could bring, given PSA's propensity for low-quality connectors etc.

I remember simultaneously working on both our own BX19RD and our son's BX19GTi 8v. Chalk amd cheese, reliability-wise: the ECU'd petrol was plagued with endless failure to start and cutting-out issues, only eventually solved by comprehensive tracing and remaking of connections and grounding. The RD never failed us electrically.

As electronic and other components, dictated by the accountants, multiply, the risk of breakdown escalates, often making DIY diagnosis and maintenance seriously difficult. Plenty of evidence of that on our Forum.
Last edited by white exec on 15 Jan 2017, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:It's not just rose-tinted memories - many of those cars were much simpler to maintain, and without electronic complexity, and the multiplying faults that could bring, given PSA's propensity for low-quality connectors etc.
Yes, absolutely :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The CX was like nothing I have driven before or since. There was a saying when I bought my first one that 'if you drive one for less than half an hour you won't want to drive one again, more than half an hour and you will never want to drive anything else' the latter was certainly true in my case, there is and never has been nothing like it - except perhaps the DS.

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CX is the only car I ever got completely stuck at the roadside with, two steel pipes across the front chassis member rubbed together, holed and poured the fluid all over the road, adding fluid would have been a waste of time, had to get a suspended tow back to my workshop.

Embarrassing when you're in the car auction car park. :(

Also got it stuck in the mud once and had to get a tractor to drag it out.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Peter.N. about the CX wrote:. . . There was a saying when I bought my first one that 'if you drive one for less than half an hour you won't want to drive one again, more than half an hour and you will never want to drive anything else'.
What a fabulous quote, Peter. Lovely! :wink:
Chris
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

It's a pleasure versus pain thing for me. I get a lot of joy from working on a mechanical system whereas the electronic ones just bore me silly. I often get the feeling when I'm doing work on the Scenic that I'm fixing something the car doesn't even need which is a waste of time and resources. I spend my daily work life with electrics though so I never really want to play with them in my personal time.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

wurlycorner wrote:
Homer wrote:It's a shame they decided continuing with hydropneumatic was too expensive and I think it's a position they put themselves in by making it too complicated, the old mechanical system worked just fine and was simple. There never was any need to try turn it into some advanced system no other car of the same class has.
It's the other way round. The c5 suspension system is so, so much simpler than on a cx and as a result way, way cheaper to manufacture, install and maintain. It only 'sounds' complicated because it includes electronics which most people don't understand, but it has a lot less than half the pressure pipework compared to a cx\bx/xantia, basically no mechanical valves, no return pipes, no accumulator spheres... Etc.
The mechanical bits may be cheaper but when you factor in the development and maintenance costs for the bespoke software then you increase the costs significantly.

If it were cheaper then they would have stuck with it.
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

I think we will continue to fundamentally disagree on this one by the looks.
(These days I have to say it's much cheaper to develop/redevelop different software than it is to engineer (and manufacture a variety of) mechanical bits. It's just how things are these days.
--
Iain

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I agree with what you say Iain but I still won't buy into it with my own cash. Mechanical all the way for me until I go electric or whatever else may replace engines. I just don't like the way modern cars are made at all, I'm sure you understand my sentiments with the cars you choose to own.
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Yeah that's fine - I am with you in not liking lots of things about modern cars. My last comment was more in response to Homer, tbf

I'm not personally extoling the virtues of Citroen's proposed new suspension against the benefits of hydropneumatic, either - it doesn't have the load levelling that I find so useful for towing, for a start! I was picking up on the OP about Citroen losing their comfort reputation, which it seems they might still be working to retain, after all.
--
Iain