So whats your plan now their are no longer green or orange blooded Citroens being made?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

So whats your plan now their are no longer green or orange blooded Citroens being made?

Post by Quackers »

I've only ever had Citroens with blood running through them, 1 BX, 4 Xantias, and a Mark 2 C5. I really can noticed the difference when i get in other peoples cars how bad the steal sprung suspensions are. Its the only reason i ever buy Citroen, but obviously i have a dilemma in the future due to Citroens recent actions.

I still intend to get a C6 soon, and maybe a 3.0 Mark 3 C5 , but after that i just don't know what i will do. Just wondering what others who love the hydro Citroens are thinking of doing once the current ones reach that age of being to old to ideally run as a everyday car, with Citroens 10 year part policy running a C6 after 2022 will be even more difficult.

Stay with Citroen and hope their newer suspension system they are working on is good? or say good bye now they no longer offer something different to the rest of the crowd? I love the look of the DS5 but a common complaint is how hard they ride so i'm put off them.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: So whats your plan now their are no longer green or orange blooded Citroens being made?

Post by Peter.N. »

As I only run older cars its not so much of a problem because the like of Jaguars and larger Rovers still give a good ride, not that I run one. When my last XM went a few years ago a looked at a number of cars that might fill the bill, I had a C5 for a while but wasn't very impressed with that so I settled on a Peugeot 406 Hdi estate which gave a ride almost as good as the C5 with much better handling and super reliability and fuel consumption, so I will stick with those until they have all gone.

Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: So whats your plan now their are no longer green or orange blooded Citroens being made?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Drive one till I retire in 10 years....then I will have a small electric car to go get my pension in :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I'm sticking to Xantias until I can afford a fairly hydropneumatic Maclaren. I'll have a Fiat Ducato motorhome as well but seen as thats not a car I don't think it's entirely relevant.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I bought my X7 as probably the last car I'll own. I'm kinda hoping that it'll be because I have a long untroubled ownership not the other option.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm going to run Xantias as long as I can.. They only do very low mileages...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

'What next?' is a real problem, and something I often wonder about - with no obvious or satisfactory answer.

Ever since I was a passenger in a CX Familiale, and later drove one belonging to a friend, I was fascinated by the ride, driving position, visibility, space . . . We acquired an '89 BX19RD in about 1994, and the love affair blossomed. A 1.8i Xantia II auto for work provided some more terrific transport, at the rate of almost 3k miles a month. Then we fancied replacing the BX (177k mi on the clock, but would probably have gone on to that much again), and so to the XM in 1998 - ex-demonstrator from Freeborn/SEThomas, and 1k on the clock. It is, of course, the most fabulous piece of transport, still in regular use, and one of my ways of keeping the grey matter working out.

But, what next? Sure Tesla would be fun, but quite out of my pensioner price bracket. There are some older Jags (love the instrumentation and styling), but I've kinda done all that with a succession of Rovers, including a V8S. Petrol engines are not really my thing these days, either.

Citroen have absolutely nothing of interest for me now. C5 Estate might have been fun in its early days, but that was some while ago. X7 has no attraction whatsoever (quite the opposite), and my brief drive around in a C6 Exclusive didn't impress either: cramped, over-done black and chrome dash, and disappointingly firm suspension. Its owner actually missed his previous XM's ride.

Pick'n'mix wishware? C8 with decent engine and hpn suspension, maybe, but without the twisting chassis. A decent hpn 4x4 (another bit of Citroen missed opportunity: they let Toyota do it with their Land Cruiser V8) would suit our current location well. Practicality combined with comfort and performance is what I'd be looking for . . . . . But I already have it (RAV4 plus XM) - just not in one vehicle! I think I'm not the only one to struggle here. Could I be tempted by a Range Rover? No, silly running costs and awful reliability; shame.

But, for certain, PSA have absolutely nothing of interest right now, and the chief USP of Citroen has been killed off. Maybe something newer and impressive will appear, but I'm not holding any breath.

I think I've probably been in bed with Citroen at their best - CX, BX, XM and Xantia - and I should be thankful for that. I'll just hang on to the XM as long as I can, and am fit enough to fettle.

Did like the look of that Pug 106 electric, not least because it might be fixable. :-$
Last edited by white exec on 09 Jan 2017, 16:28, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I have the same problem - green blood is my chief attraction to Citroen's, hence hanging onto the Xantia as long as I can, but despite the excellent condition of the car, it's coming up on 20 years old this year and is having to be used as a daily driver including through the winter, so I don't know how many more years it will realistically have left, (I've had it for nearly 3 now, if I get 5-6 out of it I'll be pleased) and then there is always the possibility of getting involved in an accident etc... which due to the non existent "value" of the car in the eyes of insurance companies would write it off.

So I reckon I probably have one more Citroen in me after the Xantia before I jump ship - possibly a C5 X7 when they come down in price a bit further, however I'm on the fence a bit as although the design does appeal to me there seem to be a lot of reports of expensive problems at at low mileages, and a generally disappointing ride quality compared to older models makes me wonder if it's worth the effort if the suspension was the main attracting factor in the first place.

After that I think I'll be switching to an electric car, and I doubt that Citroen would be a first choice in that department. :lol: The age of electric cars is finally upon us, its only a matter of time until they filter down into the second hand market where mere mortals like me can afford to buy them. :-D I'm smitten with the design and Technology of the Tesla's - probably the only new car that I'd jump at buying, after a lifetime of always preferring and buying old cars and having no interest in brand new cars... but of course I can't afford one new unless I robbed a bank. :twisted: Eventually they will come down in price though and enter the second hand market.

There are also a few worthy competitors to Tesla's starting to appear on the market. So unfortunately unless Citroen jumps on the EV bandwagon in a big way in the next 5 years or so it will be bye bye Citroen for me! So long and thanks for all the fish. :(
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I had three CX Safari's, all diesel the last being the being a DTR Turbo, I ran that for 6 or 7 years and about 160k miles, fantastic cars, never driven anything like them although I suspect that the DS was even better.

Had about 6 or 7 XM 2.1 estates after that but couldn't find a worthy replacement.

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Somebody on the forum has a CX estate for sale!

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 52#p516652
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I hoping that if I do ever have to purchase another car in the future it'll be an electric one...

I have a 207 is store for now in case of terminal failure of Gabriel...

The Activa stays come what may...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Somebody on the forum has a CX estate for sale!

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 52#p516652

But would he swap it for my C5x7 ? (go on, you know you want to :) )
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Very nice - sadly its petrol.

Peter
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

I have often wondered this.

Although for me its easy, my cars seem to be getting progressively older. I've had a 2007 C8, a 2001 C5 ( I had other Xantias before these modern models) and now have a 1999 Xantia again, so I think it must be a BX or CX next for me!

A Tesla massively appeals to me though, they seem to be the most useable EV for someone who needs a range of 150-200 miles a day like myself. I'll wait until they are on the second hand market though unless I'm a lottery winner any time soon. Tesla seem to be forward thinking in a way Citroen used to be. Nothing in Citroen's current line up excites me which is sad.
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I do hope Citroen are reading this.
Chris