xantia clutch slave cylinder

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

holmedog
My Cars:

Re: xantia clutch slave cylinder

Post by holmedog »

Thanks very much Jim. Was not looking forward to having to take the engine out again. And also the cost of a new complete kit.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
Gun Metal Grey Activa turbo,R.I.P. Gone to scrap yard in the sky and jims garage
Blue Activa from dr.madvibe
Silver Activa lost soul
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There's always a way round these things ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The replacement slave is now on its way to you ;)

Posted this morning... First class so maybe it'll be with you tomorrow...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Are these slave cylinders the same across all hydraulically operated setups?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xantiamanic wrote:Are these slave cylinders the same across all hydraulically operated setups?
Xantias, yes... There are differences with other models... Some models have slaves with bleed nipples on them and ones that may outwardly look similar have different pushrod lengths...
Jim

holmedog
My Cars:

Post by holmedog »

Sorry for late reply but thanks Jim. Would of replied sooner but left my phone at my mates.

Gun Metal Grey Activa turbo,R.I.P. Gone to scrap yard in the sky and jims garage
Silver Activa lost soul
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'd still want to know what caused it to fail.... if you shove the new one in there, and then welly the clutch pedal and it's seized somewhere(as it looks like the slave has ripped itself out of the bellhousing), then bang, another slave bites the dust....
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:I'd still want to know what caused it to fail.... if you shove the new one in there, and then welly the clutch pedal and it's seized somewhere(as it looks like the slave has ripped itself out of the bellhousing), then bang, another slave bites the dust....
One cause of this failure, Richard, as I have found to my cost in the past, is that it's easy to insert the slave with the pushrod 'on the cock' and it goes to the side of the cup on the release arm in free air rather than sitting in the cup. Then, when first operated the slave pushes into nothing and blows itself apart... The pushrod has a natural tendency to not line up with the cup so you have to be very aware of this... The weight of the pushrod causes it to down and out of good alignment as it is inserted.

A brand-new slave has a special tripod mount to hold the pushrod in correct alignment during insertion. This tripod then breaks on first use. Often the remains of the tripod can be seen on a used slave.
Jim

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

A good few clutch slave cylinders used to be fitted with a simple tension spring that kept the actuating arm gently pulled toward the slave cylinder body, and the pushrod centred in the cups, so it couldn't drop out of place.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:A good few clutch slave cylinders used to be fitted with a simple tension spring that kept the actuating arm gently pulled toward the slave cylinder body, and the pushrod centred in the cups, so it couldn't drop out of place.
That's the same role the 'tripod' plays Chris...

You can just see the remains of one in this picture:

Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I was thinking that the old slave looked like the retaining lugs had broken off - but looking at that pick maybe not; perhaps what has broken off is the remains of tripod? Does this normally happen if the plunger is ejected? Another thought that crossed my mind is that perhaps it was engaged on those tripod lugs rather than the proper ones, allowing it to be pushed back out of the box.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:I was thinking that the old slave looked like the retaining lugs had broken off -
I think that still Richard... The 'tripod' is very thin plastic and all you can see of the remains in the picture above is the ring around the pushrod and bits of the 'legs' It is very fragile and designed to break easily..

Holmdog's lugs don't look at all right to me.. The lugs form bayonets and it can be biblically tight and hard to remove.. It is further tensioned by big crinkle washer which is just visible in my picture.
Jim

holmedog
My Cars:

Post by holmedog »

Thanks for the slave Jim. In my pictures the lugs have completely disintegrated.

Silver Activa lost soul
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No worries, pleased it arrived safely and I trust it'll help resolve your problems....
Jim

holmedog
My Cars:

Post by holmedog »

Everything crossed doing clutch master/slave cylinder and have sourced a pipe for the hydraulic system.
Really need to get this car done now.

Silver Activa lost soul