xantia clutch slave cylinder

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

holmedog
My Cars:

xantia clutch slave cylinder

Post by holmedog »

Hi everyone was just wondering if anybody else has had any experience with their clutch slave cylinder.
I have recently done an engine change on my exclusive hdi 110. On completion of this when i came to move the car out of the garage to take it for its mot i noticed a small leak from the 12mm pipe going into the anti sink sphere. not a bad leak at first and thought nothing of it would get sorted at a later date. Got in the car clutch pedal on the floor. Thought this might be because of the leaking hydraulic fluid.also the car would not raise up on completion of work. primed the punp and all that but no hydraulic action at all. leak got a littlr worse. Got in the car clutch still not working lifted it up with foot and it went back down again. did this several times and it started to lift the pedal back up,still no gear selection or biting point.
Phoned my mate who has been helping me do the car and he came up to check himself. After pumping the clutch pedal he thought he was getting a bitting point but still no gear selection of which he had before on first start up when we did the engine flush and such.

Then we heard a pop i looked under the car and saw 2 litres of hydraulic fluid all over the garage floor.This had come from the 12mm pipe going into the sphere block of the anti sink unit. Then he also noticed that the cltch slave cylinder had gone to pieces too.

Ordered new seals for the pipe, got a new clutch slave clinder but toally different to the one that is on their now. When my mate looked online all he could find was the same one that i had bought. the only other thing he came across was a full master and slave cylinder complete unit for the 406 at a cost of around £130.
My question is can you buy the actual slave cylinder on its own for the 2litre hdi 110. And does anybody now the part no. or even better does anyone here have a spare one that they want rid of i am getting really desrerate now as i need the car on the road.

PLEASE HELP,ANYONE,PLEASE
Gun Metal Grey Activa turbo,R.I.P. Gone to scrap yard in the sky and jims garage
Blue Activa from dr.madvibe
Silver Activa lost soul
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: xantia clutch slave cylinder

Post by GiveMeABreak »

holmedog wrote: Ordered new seals for the pipe, got a new clutch slave clinder but toally different to the one that is on their now. When my mate looked online all he could find was the same one that i had bought. the only other thing he came across was a full master and slave cylinder complete unit for the 406 at a cost of around £130.
My question is can you buy the actual slave cylinder on its own for the 2litre hdi 110. And does anybody now the part no. or even better does anyone here have a spare one that they want rid of i am getting really desrerate now as i need the car on the road.

PLEASE HELP,ANYONE,PLEASE
Post up your VIN and I'll have a look at the parts for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
holmedog
My Cars:

Post by holmedog »

Hi yes certainly.
VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
Gun Metal Grey Activa turbo,R.I.P. Gone to scrap yard in the sky and jims garage
Silver Activa lost soul
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, here's what's listed:

Clutch Diagram & Clutch Parts
Clutch.png
Clutch fork & Clutch Fork Parts
Clutch Fork.png
Clutch Parts.png

Marc
holmedog
My Cars:

Post by holmedog »

It appears i need the full master/slave cylinder kit. So if anyone has one spare let me know.

Silver Activa lost soul
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Are they the same across all cars i wonder?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No - the above is specifically for the OPs 110 HDi - I believe they moved to Hydraulic declutching on the Mark II HDis

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, you don't need the full kit as I said in my PM...

Anyway, you won't install it without lifting the engine again and stripping a lot out of the way. When new they come in two halves and are joined at the blue metal connector but once they are joined up there is no way to separate them. I know as I've tried very hard to do so.

Also, you should be able to reassemble the save cylinder...

Here's an exploded view:

The Blog I wrote when I did Davie's Activa clutch has lots of valuable clutch bleeding information toward the end...

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 14&t=54694

I'll be sending you a slave but I'll wager you won't need it if you reassemble the old one and bleed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

We should say the clutch hydraulics are self contained and nothing to do with the suspension hydraulics; so the 2 faults are not linked.

Ref the clutch fault - need to get to the bottom of what caused it; otherwise you will rebuild the slave and then it will go pop again.... This might be bad news, depending on what you did you when had the engine out :( Did you put your old box on a new engine or did you transplant the complete thing. If you had the box off did you re-seat the release bearing properly? If you didn't remove the bearing from the clutch and the refit it after the box was installed; then the box will have to come out to reinstall the bearing in the release arm, then the clutch cover..... :roll:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good point Richard, the ML5 release bearing is a fit once and it cannot be reused or indeed easily separated from the clutch... On first assembly it has to be pulled into engagement and if this is not done then as you say, the slave will against burst apart as it has nothing to act against.

It is easy to check ahead of reinstalling the salve. Look in the slave cylinder hole in the gearbox and look for the end of the release arm. It's bronze in colour and ends in a cup to accept the slave pushrod.

It should only be about an inch (if that) inside the hole and if pushed moderately hard it should not 'give'. If it is deep in the hole then the release bearing is not properly installed. Try pulling the arm back with a hooked tool to see if the release bearing can be pulled into engagement.

This is what the view down the slave hole should look like:

Here, the arm is in about the right position.

This is the full clutch assembly:

Davie's Activa Clutch blog has loads more pictures showing it going back together...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
holmedog
My Cars:

Post by holmedog »

The slave has completely gone to piece's. ImageImageImageImageImage
As you can see it is in no repairable state. So can i replace just the slave then Jim and then bleed with your method in your blog.

Silver Activa lost soul
holmedog
My Cars:

Post by holmedog »

Original working gearbox put on to donor engine with new clutch. Everything was checked on reinstalling and my mate had gear selection when we first started her up to do all the oil and coolant changes.
Silver Activa lost soul
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That slave does look a little past its best. A replacement will be in the post to you tomorrow..
Jim

holmedog
My Cars:

Post by holmedog »

So it is possible to separate that part then and replace it with another. Your blog on fitting the bleed screw i get. But how do you separate it from the hex bolt.

Silver Activa lost soul
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

holmedog wrote:So it is possible to separate that part then and replace it with another. Your blog on fitting the bleed screw i get. But how do you separate it from the hex bolt.
Yes, very easily. The metal hexagonal bit at the end of the pipe inserts into the end of the plastic body of the slave via a pinned spigot.

Drive out the pin, separate the two, recover the special rubber seal and reassemble.

It will be obvious when the replacement slave arrives. Just packed it for despatch...

The pin will be tight and you will need to rig up a couple of mandrels (a small socket and a slightly smaller pin will do) and a G Cramp to press out the pip from the old slave and press it back in.

Go carefully although you can afford to wreck the old one ion learning how the pin works..

That is my last slave, I have no more now so go easy on it and I hope it works :)
Jim