Citroen C5 Exclusive ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Citroen C5 Exclusive ?

Post by elma »

Thats not too bad considering their reputation.

I think I drive for longer than that just getting parts for my cars when work is due.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Brianw119 wrote:BL Autos is a 40 minute drive away.
I don't know what your budget is, but if you can source one from a main dealer (getting rarer) under 60k miles, get a Citroen extended warranty - worth every penny - and will cover most non-wear parts for a year at least.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Brianw119
My Cars: Citroen C4 1.6 HDi

Post by Brianw119 »

Ok, advice noted. I was aiming to get one in the next few months. I think my max spend is probably going to be around 6k.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Brianw119 wrote:BL Autos is a 40 minute drive away.
And worth every mile of it......go Shopping at the Galleria
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
c5rich
My Cars: C5 X7 2008 tourer

Post by c5rich »

Not to hijack the thread, but I have just bought another C5 X7 Exclusive Auto Tourer, the 2.7 diesel model - goes like a rocket :-)
Brianw119
My Cars: Citroen C4 1.6 HDi

Post by Brianw119 »

C5rich,Sounds tempting. I have read these ones are rarer.
milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

I absolutely love my '09 Auto Tourer! :)

Niggles so far in 6 months of ownership, 75k miles? Drop links done to fix the light knocking at the front - cheap as chips. I reckon the autobox fluid is due a change, that's imminent. Road noise from the front is an annoyance - I thought/hoped it was a wheel bearing, but its not, its the tyres...I just turn the radio up! Speaking of which, mine's the standard unit, no Bluetooth, and its pretty crappy to say the car's in 'Exclusive' spec - my last two cars had Mark Levinson/HK systems, the C5 one is dire in comparison! The right-hand 'wing' on the driver's seat squab is all floppy as the foam underneath has collapsed - I can't find a trimmer who'll sort it, so, with hindsight, full leather would've been better as the profile of the seats is completely different.

Shortly after buying it, I noticed that the high-level brake light was inoperative - snapped wire up near the left-hand hinge, so that needs sorting......and last week, the rear washer pipe snapped too, so I'll be sorting that at the same time as the brake light. I think both of these are fairly common issues, with lots of helpful info on here about them.

Other than that, all's good! It returns around 38mpg on local runs. On a run out to RAF Duxford last month, nearly all motorway, it did 57mpg, which I'm more than happy with. :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

c5rich wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but I have just bought another C5 X7 Exclusive Auto Tourer, the 2.7 diesel model - goes like a rocket :-)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Marc
c5rich
My Cars: C5 X7 2008 tourer

Post by c5rich »

Brianw119 wrote:C5rich,Sounds tempting. I have read these ones are rarer.
No idea really :) it has got 75k mileage wise and it cost £6500.... fully loaded, a few minor niggles but very happy with it.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I took my 2010 x7 auto 2.0 on two trips over christmas .it is a really nice car.. I did get a puncture during the first trip..so had to use the spare..with its 50 mph warning. it's still on there as things have been busy. 65mph with cruise set, on new years eve to oxford .. 60 mph average and 64 mpg after 100 miles ;)

mine has a very slight whine in 6th ..I think it's always been there.. otherwise love the car but it loves long smooth cruises.

I am 99% sure I can feel a difference when sport suspension is selected.even though I had a xant v6 once and knew about the parameter chage..

it's not so much sport as just different.. but that could be my car only!
john
Pain Junkie
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0L HDI Auto 2008

Post by Pain Junkie »

Hello.
I’m currently looking at an 08 C5 2.0 HDI Auto with 60,000 miles on it and I love the car,it’s so comfy and easy to drive I feel like I’m sitting in a settee but the arm rest is missing on the driver’s seat which I imagine will be extremely hard to find/fit.
Also I’ve read that if the front suspension legs need changing you need a bank loan along with other equally scary stories including you need to change the water pump and idler gears when you change the cambelt which again nobody seems to know when to change it.
I just need some unbiased advice which I fully understand no one can predict the future so you will not be in any way responsible for any future events,but I know that you guys are the best qualified because of your experience with Citroen,if it was Honda I’d be fine because I worked on them for donkeys.
So any advice would be muchly appreciated,I’m so so close to buying it !

Thanks for listening,John
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If the timing belt hasn't already been done then it's overdue, not on the mileage but on the age, should be done at 100k or ten years I think, I had mine done on a fixed price deal at the Citroen dealership, done in a morning for £340 all in with genuine parts. They don't change the water pump though that's extra and optional.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

For the 2.0 HDi 138 engine, the official timing belt service is actually 160k miles under 'normal' conditions, or 112k miles under 'arduous' conditions, or 10 years whichever comes first.

Citroen do either the timing belt alone, the timing belt and rollers / tensioner kit, or lastly a complete kit with all the previous items plus the water pump and gasket. The later being about £158 inc. VAT to buy. Citroen do say the water pumps on these are very robust - but the option is there anyway if desired - but obviously it will be cheaper labour wise to do it at the same time.

A hydraulic suspension strut can be expensive int he UK to buy, but genuine ones from Europe are a lot cheaper even with shipping. I bought mine from Poland (Febi Bilstein) and that was about £180 and got Citroen to fit only for me. So was about £350 ish IIRC. The price for supply and fit via Citroen was over £550.

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Interesting point about the X7 raising in value. When I renewed my insurance this year I was told they wanted to increase the value of my car on their system by £500 which was interesting.

I'm now within £200 of what I actually paid for it 3 years ago.

I would mention if you are looking to get a hydractive X7 is that you need to budget for front struts. I've had to change both of mine. The hydractive pump may also require attention and if this can't be done yourself, I can imagine it gets pricey to have a garage see to it.

Other than that, they are great cars. The gearbox is the very popular Aisin TF80 which is used in all manner of other marques including Volvo, BMW and LR. Oil changes are recommended as soon as you get the car as it won't have been done as part of an annual service by the dealer.