Citroen C5 Exclusive ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Brianw119
My Cars: Citroen C4 1.6 HDi

Citroen C5 Exclusive ?

Post by Brianw119 »

Hello

I am new to the forum.I am currently on my 4th Citroen - 3 diesels and one petrol.I had two Xsaras, and two C4s. My current C4 HDi is fairly ok, low maintenance , good MPG, fairly cheap to insure. I am thinking of getting a C5 Exclusive Auto . I am thinking of one made in 2009 onwards.
I would appreciate any feedback. What is the auto box like?
I am interested in the hydramatic suspension. How firm is the "sport" setting for the suspension?
Just the general things to look out for when purchasing a used C5.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 Exclusive ?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

There is plenty of information here about the C5 X7 (the mark III), so have a search and read through some posts, but here are a few things:

The C5 X7 has stopped UK production now, so well-specified examples are going to get harder to find as they are gradually snapped up by enthusiasts.
Only the Exclusive models have the Hydractive 3+ suspension (with the exception of a few early 2008 models), the rest are steel sprung.
If you are serious about buying one, be prepared to travel, have a deposit ready and do your research first. Well-specified models don't tend to hang about long.
The build quality of the X7 is a lot better than earlier models, there are a choice of engines, but the diesels are the most popular, with the 2.0 being a good reliable workhorse.

Issues: The steering racks on earlier models to about 2013 have a design fault which can cause water ingress into the pinion, with the resulting rust destroying the internal seals and causing leaks. Although some have had reconditioned racks, the results have been variable and some have had to be replaced again. Citroen redesigned the rack and replacements shouldn't have the same problem. So check the rack for leaks or a history to see if it has had a main dealer replacement (Citroen do not repair / exchange these - they only fit the complete newly designed rack).

Dual Mass Flywheel / Clutches - In common with other diesels, the DMF can have a short life depending on how it has been driven by the previous owner. If going for a 6 speed manual, do check the condition of the clutch driving off - see how it pulls away, and accelerate hard in 5th / 6th to check for any slip.

There's not really any other major issues that you wouldn't get with any other car - check for regular servicing, try out all the equipment for functionality. Exclusives are the top of the range model - but there are many options than can be specified - so again don't assume they are all the same spec.

In my opinion they are a really nice car and if looked after, they will look after you. Always ensure you have a good powerful battery and pay special attention to the BSI reset procedure when replaing or disconnecting a battery from the car so as not to upset the electrical systems.

Check out the Audio system - as these head units also provide access to some of the car's configuration options depending on model. There were several variations of audio systems fitted - some have Bluetooth, some don't, some have navigation and telematics - others don't - so again do all the research first, decide on the trim level and options you want, then go search and test drive!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Love mine, no real problems (apart from a GB-solenoid and a s**t Main Dealer)
The gearbox is a dream, it DOES need to have a oil change (over three drain/fills) at about 80-100k so budget £150 for this.
Reduce oil changes to 1/2 the recommended intervals just to help keep the EGR clear.
Not a car for constant short trips, it does like good long runs to keep all the Anti-Pol system clear, then it is trouble free normally.
Check the rack, ADD shed loads of very good grease to the pinion, I use Volvo Truck stuff from a friend....sticks like S2a shovel :)
The suspension does not firm up as such, it just does this when the car detects speed/steering angle/body angles/road condition, it calculates this then triggers it, the sport button just changes these parameters. It does (thank god) NOT change it into an AUDI
Do NOT worry about the in-car nav, it is crap vrs the "add on" types such as TomTom, accept the Audio system is very average but is so tied to the car it is a PITA to change it. A Tom Tom and a Bluetooth speaker or an add on like Xtralink (£120) keeps you legal on the phone.

Love the car, and I see the value of the X7 Exclusive rising very soon. Having kept an eye on the market I think I could sell mine for more than I paid for it now. This is especially true with the Tourer/Estate versions.

Oh yes, and endless "In Jokes" with other C5x7 owners about door pockets and drink holder position :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Brianw119

Post by Brianw119 »

Stickyfingers, thanks for responding.

Just to clarify, the X7 is the MKII ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A further note on the Audio / Navigation - There are lots of different head units fitted depending on year and model - they are NOT all the same. To put things into perspective, the NG4 Navidrive 3D system that I have is an excellent unit and is quite different from the standard Navidrive unit that can be fitted, which isn't so good. I have Speed Trap Risk areas, 3D maps, Voice Commands, Bluetooth Phone and Internal Car phone, Emergency Services Button, a high quality sound system, MP3, Jukebox etc. etc. You won't get 7 digit postcode mapping, though, only 5 digits, unless you have the RT6 system with a later firmware revision. Like I said, if audio and connectivity is important, do the research first on the systems, as you won't want to be cannibalising you system after.

Yes, the X7 is the Mark III, from 2008 to 2016

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Brianw119 wrote:Stickyfingers, thanks for responding.

You have...Mk1, Mk2 (also known as "Facelift" up to 2008/9, then the C5x7 also known as the Mk3

(edit...see dates below...cheers chap)

Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 23 Oct 2017, 11:14, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Blank Videos removed - No Longer Available
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

[quote="Stickyfinger"][quote="Stickyfinger"][quote="Brianw119"]Stickyfingers, thanks for responding.

You have...Mk1, Mk2 (also known as "Facelift" up to 2008/9, then the C5x7 also known as the Mk3

Sticky - so as not to confuse the guy, the Mark 1 was from up to 2004 mid year, the Mark II facelift from 2004 to 2007 (a few late registered models would be the exception here) and the Mark III X7 from 2008 on. It was unveiled in 2007, but launched in Feb 2008, with the tourer from May 2008.

Marc
Brianw119

Post by Brianw119 »

Cheers Givemeabreak, I did figure it out by looking at Wikipedia.

The general impression I get is C5 owners seem to find Citroen main dealers services lacking.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Brianw119 wrote:Cheers Givemeabreak, I did figure it out by looking at Wikipedia.

The general impression I get is C5 owners seem to find Citroen main dealers services lacking.
He makes a point with dates, it is often misunderstood by Car Sales people:

All Main dealers are a nightmare for any 2nd hand cars unless under warranty no matter the maker, unless you just open your wallet and bend over
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 04 Jan 2017, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would suggest that you consider also investing in a Lexia system. A good clone will handle most Citron and Peugeot vehicles. While it might set you back £100 (not including the computer to run it on), it could save you money in the long run. Typically a dealership will charge you £50 for a diagnostics session. While you may not need to use it much, after three sessions it will have saved you money (and, if you have friends who drive Citroens or Peugeots, you can help them save money as well).
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 04 Jan 2017, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Brianw119 wrote:Cheers Givemeabreak, I did figure it out by looking at Wikipedia.

You're not likely to get anyone here to contest that statement.

If you are anywhere near Welwyn Garden City then BL Auto's are the go to place, you would be hard pressed to find anywhere better.
There is a link in the "Recommended Garages and Services" section.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Where you live I would 100% agree, go to Welwyn Garden City and use BL Autos.

Agree on the Lexi as well....another 100%
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 04 Jan 2017, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not necessarily Brian. This has to be a case of personal experience. Some here, like Sticky, have had very bad experiences with some dealerships, whilst others have had really good experiences. It is all down to how well they train their technicians and the knowledge and experience of the technicians working on your car. In my case, I know the technician (now service manager) who has worked on hydraulic Citroens for 30+ years, so knows his stuff. Younger technicians can do the training, but may not have the experience in working with this type of car. It has to be an individual choice, and that is why we have a recommended garage section here on the forum for members to contribute.

They are franchises after all, so it will be down to length of time working with a Marque. Those that change from one marque to another frequently, will of course have training, but won't have the experience on working with actual cars and won't know the foibles.

Marc
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Servicing really does depend, it's a case of finding someone you trust, who is fairly priced and consistently does a good job with your car. BL autos is a good option based on reputation here and their longstanding experience. They have a little place in Uk Citroen history for being a pioneer of V6 Xantia Activa conversions. Personally I don't trust garages at all after many bad experiences and if I can't fix it myself will change car.

A good example of why I don't trust them was the last service my parents had on the Scenic before I took it over. Nearly £500 for a full service, receipt included air filter, oil filter, oil, fuel filter and spark plugs. All that was done was an oil change, everything else was replaced by me a month later when I realised. Hilariously the Scenic doesn't even have a fuel filter yet the garage insist they have changed it.

They also MOT'd the car and told my Dad the two front tyres were illegal and they wouldn't allow him to leave the forecourt. Of course the tyres hadn't even got an advisory on the MOT and they are still totally legal today, which is some months and 1000s of miles later. They totally missed that the ns track rod end was hanging by a thread, I assume because it is more difficult work than changing a pair of tyres and carries less profit. This has been my ongoing experience of various main dealers over 15 years of driving, they're rarely honest and competent.
Brianw119

Post by Brianw119 »

BL Autos is a 40 minute drive away.