Hydraulic tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Hydraulic tank

Post by GiveMeABreak »

wurlycorner wrote:I've not been releasing the lds reservoir cap on my C5 when I have put it on my ramp, either... TBH the thought never crossed my mind!
I have noticed the car being a pita to get the suspension to re-raise after though... After lowering back onto all 4 wheels I normally need to manually jack one end slightly to get it to react.
Well now you know! Can't do it any good - may be building up problems for later. It doesn't take that long to raise up, undo cap and lift away... :)
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
C4robot
My Cars: Citroen C3 Pluriel 1.4i (75) Exclusive Paname Blue
Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0HDI (150) Flair Polar White
Citroen C5 2.0HDI (160) Exclusive Tourer Thorium Grey
Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDI (115) Exclusive+ Onyx Black
Citroen DS4 2.0HDI (160) D Sport Fluid Grey
Citroen C5 2.0HDI (160) Exclusive Saloon Artic Steel
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0HDI (143) Coupe Artic Steel
Citroen C2 1.4i (75) Furio Poseidon Blue
Citroen C2 1.1i (61) Design Poseidon Blue (1st Car)

Post by C4robot »

Well think I have gotten to the bottom of this problem, I think indeed a split tank even though I have the cap with hole in it, cleaned the exterior of the tank with de-greaser and after a week have ended up with LDS fluid around the seam of the tank, took a photo but don't know how to upload lol, think this explains the small oil marks where I park the car, wheel liner is oil marked too, when I first began having trouble I started hearing a faint what I thought was a rattle from engine bay in area where tank is sited I now believe this may be the air / fluid escaping when under pressure but it only hear it above 60mph. Not sure if this is an easy job to do or is main dealer only, anyone has this done before? Or know how much this would cost? Thanks guys, top advice as ever :)

[img]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll need to use an image hosting site to display images on the Forum at present. See the Forum link here (I will be updating this shortly though)
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 19&t=35470

If you email me the photo (go to my profile) I'll post it up for you until you've got an account set up.

That's bad news on the tank. Post up your VIN and I'll look at the parts for you.

Marc
C4robot

Post by C4robot »

Thanks Marc, VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, slight relief after looking at the prices!

The part number is 4009 V8 for the reservoir and Citroen Dealer price is currently £35.03 + VAT, so £42.04 for the part.

The service docs say to replace the clic clips that hold the pipes on when removing these. Also. you'll need to drain the LDS reservoir, replace with NEW LDS fluid and the fill and bleed the hydraulic circuit afterwards.

Marc
C4robot

Post by C4robot »

just a update on this one, its been a couple of weeks now since i changed the hydraulic tank ( thanks Marc for the help with part numbers much appreciated ) changing the tank was surprisingly easy and the area was cleaned with de-greaser all re connected, filled tank with new LDS fluid, applied 0.50 bar of pressure with the old cap which i modified.

cycled suspension up and down several times, steering lock to lock, returned to low position and topped up LDS to bottom of basket and the suspension has improved slightly, 4 weeks on and all the joints are dry with no signs of any leaking but I am still experiencing intermittent issues with ride quality, Tyre pressures are correct the car is running on Avon ZV5 they have 7mm on both rear and 5mm on both front so cant see any issues there, thing is I still experiencing sudden bangs and crashes whilst driving, stationary the suspension is soft and fluid bounce test on each corner is as it should be. at maneuvering speed on and off the drive the car behaves as you would expect soaking up the bump up or down the curb, now once moving you can feel the car moving up and down as you travel along the road buy you feel every bump and join in the road as if the tyres were made of solid rubber or were flat, this does not improve at motorway speeds though you can feel the can floating up and down as you are driving down the road hit anything other than smooth and boom you feel everything even cats eyes when changing lane or joints it the tarmac same sensation as lower speeds where you would think the tyres were made of solid rubber, seems to be no give over lumps and bumps but fine on smooth roads,i have the car to a second main dealer who has said the suspension checks out and that no faults were present, so am back to trying to locate the issue, height correctors have been lubricated and the car does cycle through each setting as it should now as in one of my previous posts i mentioned that there is a rattling coming from the engine bay roughly from where the pump and reservoir is located, I know it is there as cant be heard from passenger side now this may be compete coincidence but the noise only became apparent at the same time the suspension began to misbehave and is generally heard at speeds of 50mph+ could there still be air in the system also the as the steering sometimes going hard when pulling away now i know they are seperate systems but if air is getting into the steering system some how could this be returning air into the hydralic resivour and subsecquently being drawn into the suspension system? Im not a expert on these things but just thinking outside the box . so this has gone from a intermittant issue to pretty much present at all times, argghhh I just want the suspension to be like it used to be but we shall see, Would be interested to see if anyone is experiencing similar problems or could have ideas to why this is happening, Thanks