Hydraulic tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C4robot
My Cars: Citroen C3 Pluriel 1.4i (75) Exclusive Paname Blue
Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0HDI (150) Flair Polar White
Citroen C5 2.0HDI (160) Exclusive Tourer Thorium Grey
Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDI (115) Exclusive+ Onyx Black
Citroen DS4 2.0HDI (160) D Sport Fluid Grey
Citroen C5 2.0HDI (160) Exclusive Saloon Artic Steel
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0HDI (143) Coupe Artic Steel
Citroen C2 1.4i (75) Furio Poseidon Blue
Citroen C2 1.1i (61) Design Poseidon Blue (1st Car)

Hydraulic tank

Post by C4robot »

Just wondering if anyone can advise if the hydraulic tank cap should have a rubber washer in it. Hydroactive 3+ on 2012 C5 Tourer my cap has the small hole in in the top but there is no LDS fluid on the cap but thete is a build up around the filler neck of the tank it's self, have cleaned it many times and the residue appears again after a few days or so, if left a couple of weeks leaves a LDS build up around the seam on the tank where the lip is, the tank is not over filled at is below the bottom of the basket on the lowest suspension setting on a level surface, just there has never been any fluid residue here before so confused.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Hydraulic tank

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Has it been raised on a post lift (tyre change at a garage for example), without having the cap removed first? At least it sounds like you have the modified LDS cap with the hole in it to help relieve pressure for those who forget to remove the cap prior to raising off the ground. Some have split their LDS tanks by not doing this.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
C4robot
My Cars: Citroen C3 Pluriel 1.4i (75) Exclusive Paname Blue
Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0HDI (150) Flair Polar White
Citroen C5 2.0HDI (160) Exclusive Tourer Thorium Grey
Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDI (115) Exclusive+ Onyx Black
Citroen DS4 2.0HDI (160) D Sport Fluid Grey
Citroen C5 2.0HDI (160) Exclusive Saloon Artic Steel
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0HDI (143) Coupe Artic Steel
Citroen C2 1.4i (75) Furio Poseidon Blue
Citroen C2 1.1i (61) Design Poseidon Blue (1st Car)

Post by C4robot »

Hi , it has recently been to a garrage in for a slave clutch cylinder not a Citroen main dealer, but I goth them to do ballancing, tracking and wheel alignment and realign he steering wheel whist it was in there. :/ if the tank has a breach could this also account for the harder ride I have been experiencing?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It is difficult to say, but if you have air in the system because of a leak for example, or air has been sucked in that can lead to hard suspension. All the service operations where a hydraulic Citroen is to be suspended, wheels hanging, has a bold instruction to ensure the LDS cap is removed prior to lifting, and then refitted once the car has been lowered.

You can try lowering the car, turning the wheel full lock left and right a few times, switch the engine off and check the LDS levels that should be between the A and B marks (remember engine off).

Top up if necessary, replace cap, start and raise car to high and low a few times, then go for a drive. If it is still quite hard, it may need a full bleed, which involves depressurisation of the system and applying a pressure of 0.5 bar to the LDS tank, starting engine, stabilise, raise to HIGH, then set to LOW, turn steering left to right several times, stop engine and re-check levels, top up as necessary.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

They also lift the car at MoT tests......does it look like it has been cleaned around the tank AND the bonnet above it ? (a jet of LDS comes out of the cap)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Uh, a car that can't be lifted on a hoist without first unscrewing an obscure hydraulic tank cap ? (obscure to non owners manual possessing Citroen owners at least)

What were Citroen thinking... [-X :roll:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

...and all because the pump wasn't self-priming? Wasn't that the reason?
Almost as incredible as Range Rovers that tear their air suspension bags when wheels are allowed to hang (for a wheel change).
Such craziness ought to bring sales of such vehicles to a sudden halt, one would hope.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yep, it is really hard work taking a cap off.

The blame is not the design, it is Citroen "Customer Education" making a non problem into a big one (when it happens) coupled with our unwillingness to fully read any instruction book (me included, I still have nor found the entry in my book).

It is this type of information sharing Forums like this are good at, Citroen do themselves no favours not combining with groups like us..................despite the massive efforts of the "Official Citroen CC" (cough)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

white exec wrote:...and all because the pump wasn't self-priming? Wasn't that the reason?
I think it's because its a sealed system to keep dust and moisture out. But of course this means it will be under pressure or partial vacuum if the quantity of oil in the tank varies greatly from the "norm".
Stickyfinger wrote:Yep, it is really hard work taking a cap off.

The blame is not the design, it is Citroen "Customer Education" making a non problem into a big one (when it happens) coupled with our unwillingness to fully read any instruction book (me included, I still have nor found the entry in my book).
I think you completely miss the point - nobody said removing a cap was difficult to do. The point is that it is idiotic to design a system where it needs to be done to avoid damage to the system. How many owners (especially if they are not the original owner of the car) would think, "gee you know, if I'm going to get my tyres changed, I better make sure to tell them they better remove the cap off the hydraulic tank before the car is jacked up so it doesn't split and spill oil everywhere and leave me with a visit to the dealers to get it fixed.

Ludicrous. :roll: What tyre fitter is going to know this ? None. What MOT testing station is going to know this ? None. Why should either of them be expected to read the owners manual for a simple operation like jacking up a car which doesn't cause any trouble on ANY other car, including green blooded Citroen's ?

What owner who doesn't read their owners manual is going to know this ? None. Why would ANYONE in their right mind even THINK that such a possibility as removing a cap from a hydraulic tank would be necessary to avoid damage before jacking up a car.

You can make light of "it's just removing a cap" all you like, however this is exactly the kind of reason that Citroen suspension died out and nobody will touch it with a barge pole. There were enough legitimate concerns with the older green blooded designs, don't go adding more problems that are going to catch innocent people out unfairly...

CLEARLY a design flaw in a sealed system where not enough expansion area for air has been left in the tank to prevent excessive pressure change with the change in oil volume and/or the material of the tank is not up to the task to withstand the pressure change. Xantia V6 coolant expansion chamber anyone ? Cough cough. ;)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Well said Mandrake!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

One thing that may also cause an issue is that there is a cover over the two tanks (hydraulic and coolant), and to access the hydraulic cap you have to take this cover off (no need for the coolant, there is a hole for it). I wonder how many first time Citroen owners would know about it (if they did not read through the handbook)?

http://parkers.bauercdn.com/Images/Arch ... C05007.JPG
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Simon, spot on. The cap should obviously have been vented (in a controlled manner) to allow excess pressure in either direction to be released. Crass, stupid and inexcusable, and almost certainly the basis for a courtroom win by a determined complainant. If Toyota had done this, there would have been several unmissable stickers on the car, and probably a recall of all affected models. PSA work along different lines, especially the P bit.

Right. I shall now be charitable for the rest of the year (until the next bit of idiocy turns up :cry: ).
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:One thing that may also cause an issue is that there is a cover over the two tanks (hydraulic and coolant), and to access the hydraulic cap you have to take this cover off (no need for the coolant, there is a hole for it). I wonder how many first time Citroen owners would know about it (if they did not read through the handbook)?

http://parkers.bauercdn.com/Images/Arch ... C05007.JPG
that is not an X7

I maintain it is not the "design" that is the problem, but the lack of adequate information from Citroen to the owner.
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 02 Jan 2017, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I know it is not an X7, but both my MkI and the facelift have that cover over the hydraulic tank. I do not know if the X7 has, but if it does then that could cause this issue.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

The covers over the spheres is yet another deleted item on the X7 compared to the MkI/II.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​