ZX Central locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sponix
My Cars:

ZX Central locking

Post by sponix »

Hi
Have just bought a 1995 ZX and have a prob with the central locking.
All was working fine last night but today went out and unlocked the car, opened the door..all fine so far.
However it won't lock again! The front door won't even latch when you push it shut. The same happened when I opened the passenger side door! As the doors won't actually latch I can't turn the key top actuate the central locking.
Is this likely to be a fault somewhere or is it likely that the door locks have frozen in the open position (It is *very* cold here today)
If it is down to the cold weather what can I do to prevent a recurrence?
Jon

Post by Jon »

If the door shuts but won't latch, then the locks have frozen up, this has happened to me in the past too.
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

Thanks...the locks freed themselves by mid-morning.
I have drenched the locks in penetrating oil in an attempt to drive the moisture out. Will have to wait and see if it's a permanent cure.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

Probably just the cold. Might be slightly locked as is the case with mine when I use the remote central locking.. it doesn't seem to be strong enough to pull the locks up completely! The cold weather seems to accentuate this.
gradeafailure
My Cars:

Post by gradeafailure »

can agree with the situation - had the same thing on my zx; ended up taking the door trim off and discovered that the locking motor wasn't correctly located in its mounting. having similar issues with the new zx too so think that'll be all the trim panels off at the weekend!
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

still, taking door trims off isn't hard...you can almost talk them into coming off! ;)
gradeafailure
My Cars:

Post by gradeafailure »

true... just time taken that i'd rather be doing something else on the car, like checking/changing engine mounts (ooh that's not gonna be fun...)! ah, the joys of cheap citroens off ebay...[:)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My ZX did it to me on a frosty morning a few weeks ago, I lubricated the locks with aerosol oil and have not had the problem again.
Stewart
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

i hav a fault with mine too
its intermittent as they work sometimes then dont
its not wen its cold weather as the key will lock the car but not the central locking!!
its a frequnt problem now as it did it wen i 1st bought the car 5 months ago then it worked fine and now its started agen
any one got ne clues to my problem