Rattle!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Rattle!

Post by qprdude »

The C5 has developed a bit of an engine rattle. It is most noticeable when starting off on a corner ( think turning out of the driveway mediately after starting up). A bit like the old sewing machine tappet rattle. Can't here it when driving straight, but even when he engine is hot, I can hear it on slow corners. It had an oil and filter change 1000 miles ago, and the level is high if anything. Overfilled?. Wrong oil?. Normal wear?
Why only on corners?. Kind of lost touch with doing my own maintenance hear days
Any clues would be welcome, even "get rid quickly" :-D
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Rattle!

Post by Mandrake »

What makes you sure its the engine ? The engine doesn't know which way the steering is pointing... :-D

I have a suspension/steering related rattle on the front right of my Xantia that has been getting gradually worse - it only rattles on a right lock and previously only when traversing broken surfaces.

More recently I have started to notice that acceleration from stationary on a sharp right bend will cause a repeated "rattle" from the suspension if the traction on the surface is anything less than ideal and allows a bit of wheel spin. It doesn't do it when accelerating straight ahead or to the left. It's something steering/suspension related but I haven't been able to pin it down yet...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Thanks for that Simon, it's something I hadn't considered. It's actually more than likely that it could be something other than the engine. Is the steering power assist electrical on the C5 X7. I was under the impression that it was mechanical and part of the suspension fluid system. I'll have to have another listen after Christmas but I'm nearly sure that I hear it on left and right turning. I hear it turning left out of the driveway and again turning right at the end of the road. Seems to be only at slow speeds but then again, I'm probably not listening at higher speeds.
Rick.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Recently someone found a corn snake in a newly purchased Juke, and a green mamba was discovered in one in Newcastle,

maybe it's a

To the best of my knowledge, the X7 has an electric power steering pump but shares the LDS reservoir with the suspension
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Cheers Steve. Some research required then. It will have to wait till after the festivities. I have the use of the boss indoor's Clio if need be, and I've just bought a wee moped so I'm still mobile.
Rick.

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

What about the infamous steering rack that goes on these X7?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, but no rattle associated with the steering rack issue that I'm aware of. I've had rattling / vibrating on mine before now, but going uphill and sometimes whilst accelerating - was put down to vibating engine shielding vibrating against components. It may be down to some of the shielding that has been moves slightly after being in with the garage. You can always ask them to check they have everything secured and in the right position next time it is in.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc