aura to volcane suspension help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dundeezx
My Cars:

aura to volcane suspension help needed

Post by dundeezx »

hello all
im new to this forum and wondered if anybody could help me on trying to get my zx to handle the road better. im the owner of a 94 ZX TD aura. Its my second zx and first turbo diesel one. I have driven a 2.0 8v volcane before and thought its steering and road holding was very good. I have fitted a set of new genuine TD volcane spec shocks and set of front lowering springs from cit tuning. there is a big difference in handling now but I still want less roll and feel the steering is slow to turn in and the back suspension is too soft even after fitting the the volcane shocks which are much harder damping and less travel than the old ones. the front anti roll bar links are in good condition. Does anybody know if there is any other suspension difference on the volcane TD apart from harder shocks? Is there different front anti roll bar links? I have not lowered the rear suspension yet as ive heard this is a c**t of a job to do, do you think this should be done? How much adjustment is required on the torson bars? The car already had volcane 14 inch wheels fitted with cheapo 175/65s which i will change to 185/60 goodyear eagle F1s. any help at all on this would be very much appreciated. Hope i can help with others peoples posts on this forum soon.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Different antirollbar diameters (stiffness) ?
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

the torsion bar itself may be stiffer/larger as well? it could also have a quicker steering rack. the 16v certainly does but im not sure about the volcane over other models
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

I have some data about Peugeot 306, which shares very similar suspension setup.
Steering rack is different: on 2.0 16V there are totaly 2.9 turns of the wheel, and 3.4 on other models with PAS.
Rear torsion bars are considerably stiffer: 24 mm diameter on 2.0 and 2.0 16V model, and 19.3-20 mm on other models. Spring rate is 2 times higher!
Rear anti-roll bar is 20 mm on TD, 2.0 and 2.0 16V model and 19 mm on other models.
There can be also a difference in rear subframe mountings, which are probably stiffer, with less self-steering action. After driving a Xsara HDi several months ago, I don't think they could be so soft in some 16v.
Lowering of rear end will have very small effect in reducing body roll. It's different on the front - when you lower the car, front bump stops will probably sit on the front shock absorber (can you verify this?), so total spring rate will become much higher. On the rear, distance between bump stop and rear arm is much higher.
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Alexx has already said it but the difference in handling is because the Volcane is approximately 10mm lower with thicker torsion bars and a thicker anti roll bar.
Lowering is a bit of a bitch-I played around with a similar set up when I owned my 205 and the rear arm bearings went shot-I got a new axle but it was the wrong ride height. There are some good articles on lowering around on the web-if I can dig some up later on I'll post the url.
Jon

Post by Jon »

see here http://www.tuning.co.uk/puglowering/lowering.htm
Its a nasty job though.
Why not try and get hold of a complete rear beam from a Volcane, that way its lower, you get the thicker anti-bar, and the added benefits of rear disc brakes.
Fairly simple job, you need to get the disc brake type handbrake cables and theres some playing about with the rear brake pipe (the Volcane has compensators in the brake lines).
dundeezx
My Cars:

Post by dundeezx »

thanks for all ur help, this is the first time ive read the replies since i posted. I have plenty to look into now.
I think i will look into changing the back axle to a volcane TD one but dont like the idea of the rear disc brakes as the handbrake will not be as good. I think the front suspension is fine, its had new tie/track rod ends and anti roll bar links, volcane TD shocks and is away to get new top mount bearings which i ordered from gsf( i got told they only sell the bearsing not not the whole top mount itself is this true?). Maybe the new top mount bearings will help the steering because the n/s bearing is solid and causes the harder springs i have to jump on the cup when going lock to lock and does not sound good. Im away to look up the url posted by jon about lowering back suspension.
Does anyone know of any good online used spare parts companies for citroen as I may need to get a volcane TD rear axle?
Thanks again