DW8 cam belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: DW8 cam belt

Post by van ordinaire »

Job done, good ol' boy pleasure to meet, talk to @ watch @ work - learned a bit but for £100 I can't see it's worth all the hassle: except my amateur pride's hurt BUT I'm happy again.

Oh, & he spotted drive shaft boot on t'other side gone (bit of a story there that I won't bore you with) anyway another shaft on its way - so that's one obstacle to a new MoT almost sorted.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

£100 was an excellent price for the job :D Did he do the water pump as well?

I hate CV boots and usually farm those out... CV grease is disgusting stuff :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Old school see! Yup, WP, idlers/tensioners & alternator belt (all in the Continental kit I bought in preparation). In fact, when I was talking to him on the 'phone (actually I think I was being interviewed as prospective customer) he asked if I'd got antifreeze, obviously assumed he'd be doing the WP as well.

Boots seem to be anything between £7 & 12 a piece & I can get a recon. shaft for £35 so it doesn't make much sense to me BUT having destroyed the boot on a nearly new shaft I MIGHT have a go at that (I did the rack gaiters, when I replaced the track rods - now that was fun!) OR simply ask my new friend in the trade if he'd do it for a drink. There is an additional difficulty, they're not listed for the C15 (but then neither were the shafts) so are they some Pug X-over part? I believe much of the frontend is 205.
b-t-w, is that grease really any worse than PAS fluid - or old hypoid?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You've found an absolute treasure in your old-school engineer. Look after him; they are now very scarce and almost extinct...

I love the bit about how he interviewed you as a prospective customer! Quality!

The C15 is more Visa-based isn't it but then having said that I guess as the Visa GTi was a complete 205 1.6 GTi drive-train then the C15 XUD/DW8 is likely the same as the 205D or perhaps the 205STDT - the turbo 205 that went like stink and could burn off a GTi!!!
van ordinaire wrote: b-t-w, is that grease really any worse than PAS fluid - or old hypoid?
Ahh yes, old Hypoid... Guaranteed to make me physically sick :evil: I believe it's the sulphur in it...

LT71141 ATF as used in the ZF 4HP20 and AL4 gearboxes is some rank stuff too - smells like old cat's pee. That too makes me ill if I spend too long exposed to it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

I'll hang on to him as long I can but, given his age & health issues, I fear he may be nearly extinct. (He's coming over to work out how to remove the rad from the Cadillac - as it has rigid plumbing not mentioned in the manual) & run confirm that the "old" Cherokee's trans. is trashed - & maybe discuss swapping in the one from the parts one. Oh yes, he's versatile!

He told me he'd agreed to come out on his day off because I sounded nice on the 'phone - & I didn't ask the price!

So the C15's more P205 than Visa at the front. I know that C15's & Visa GTi's are lumped together in the specs pages,so that explains how a firm could supply driveshafts that they didn't list - now I know what to tell them the boots are for.

What you say about the 205STDT doesn't surprise me, as the Diesel is, accidentally, the 2nd fastest Visa (& now I know what engine I want for the van)
'96 Cadillac Eldorado