A Bit About Diesel Particulate filters For You

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: A Bit About Diesel Particulate filters For You

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Wholesaler? Tescos sell in bulk as do Asda and Morrison's. Mind you Jim I have no idea what it might do to a catalytic converter.
It's still too much bother even if it's available from Tescos Nigel... It's all too much mucking around for someone who dos so few miles... Now if I did a heck of a lot then it might be different...

Mines a 1.9TD with a cat (brand-new in fact) and what veg. might do to it is a moot point... I think it might be OK but it bears a bit of research... Thanks for raising that point. I shall now go and research ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

i ran my synergie on veg oil , lovely bosch pump as well

now I`ve got HDi - wouldn't dream of it!

that and I have to figure out what to do with my 2.2 with a DPF fault - regenerated the DPF and the crap that came out was something else , sadly its an early one with DPX42 , put some in the empty tank but still not happy
Simon
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Harlequin wrote:i ran my synergie on veg oil , lovely bosch pump as well
now I`ve got HDi - wouldn't dream of it!
that and I have to figure out what to do with my 2.2 with a DPF fault - regenerated the DPF and the crap that came out was something else , sadly its an early one with DPX42 , put some in the empty tank but still not happy
Have you considered some of that DPF cleaning solution you can buy now? It;s squirted into the filter itself and disolves all the soot - then go for a good drive to regenerate. Maybe worth a shot.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4

Post by Harlequin »

its more the mileage + empty tank issue (first gen FAP) , will see if a second hand ecu will fix it
Simon
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Marc. I've seen the AA website recommend that addative used at every tank fill they also say to stay away from supermarket diesel as it can produce a lot more soot at idle in traffic than say shell or BP fuels. There is also a point made about the quantity of bio diesel used by the supermarkets apparently shell use less of it. I fill the filter housing with diesel magic at every filter change it helps keep the injectors clean apparently raising the cetane levels helps regeneration at lower temps. Which I guess the Citroen fap fluid must do.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Simon. I wonder if you have an airlock in the pipe that runs from the dpx42 tank?
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

the car has 115000 on it , I`ve added DPX42 and it still is in limp mode - next is to change the ecu , but after this , its the realms of `expensive` :(
Simon
falling-out-with-my-car

Have you told the ecu that the tank has been filled up and deleted the fault? I saw this done on you tube after accessing the ecu with a laptop and telling it the tank had been filled the car came out of limp mode.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 13 Dec 2016, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Marc. I've seen the AA website recommend that addative used at every tank fill they also say to stay away from supermarket diesel as it can produce a lot more soot at idle in traffic than say shell or BP fuels. There is also a point made about the quantity of bio diesel used by the supermarkets apparently shell use less of it. I fill the filter housing with diesel magic at every filter change it helps keep the injectors clean apparently raising the cetane levels helps regeneration at lower temps. Which I guess the Citroen fap fluid must do.
I never use supermarket fuels Nigel - horrendous and are definitely NOT the same quality IMO. I always use Shell or at present Gulf as they have just changed. I tend to fill up with a tank of 'SuperDiesel' every other fill. It is their premium diesel and although 5p a litre dearer, it has a lot of additional cleaners present. I was told you don't need to put any diesel engine treatment in if using this premium diesel.

I was actually referring to DPF cleaner in my last post Nigel - not the additive that goes in the fuel tank, but the cannister that is sprayed inside the ceramic DPF filter - this sort of stuff:

Marc
falling-out-with-my-car

Marc
Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try in the hdi oh I see sorry wrong end of stick.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 13 Dec 2016, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

yes I have a lexia and have tried to tell it its new , and yet its still not happy. has a fuel filler cap fault as well :(
Simon
falling-out-with-my-car

You seem to know what your doing Simon, does it have an airflow sensor? have you cleaned that?
apparently dirty airflow sensors make the engine run erratically or idle to fast.

I did see a video that said on some cars you need to open the fuel cap for the count of 5 ten to be sure after telling the
ecu that the bottle has been filled to reset it. maybe this applies to yours as well? I'm only guessing mind you. 8-[
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Simon, if this is for your 405 and if so I'm not sure what year it is - but on this Peugeot video you don't choose ECU configuration, just use 'Replacement Parts' to do the reset and choose 'Manual'. All seemed done in a few minutes. To cut to the configuration bit skip to 8:58. Might help you before you go down the replacement ECU road. His was a 2006 model.

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

A constant diet of supermarket diesel is definitely not recommended.
It's cheaper because it lacks the cleaning additives and cetane improvers that you get in good-brand fuel, even in standard-grade.
Esso 2000 (probably succeeded by something else) was always stunningly good in the UK, I remember. Repsol is currently likewise here: little smoke (unless provoked), low amount of sooting, plenty of low-down torque and little need to drop a gear when meeting a sudden incline. Well worth the extra 3 cents a litre compared to the budget stuff.
Periodic use of Wynn's or Miller's diesel-clean goop at 1:1000 helps too. Last MoT/ITV showed smoke at just 0.18m-1, about 1/10th of the acceptable figure.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I use almost exclusively Esso fuel Chris... Mainly because the filling stations are convenient for me and they give Tesco Clubcard points...

All fuels must meet a BS standard but that standard is the MINIMUM they must reach and is not tremendously demanding... It is likely that supermarket fuels may just achieve the standard whereas the likes of Esso, BP and the like may well exceed the minimum standards by a considerable margin...

Running Esso diesel, just the ordinary stuff, not their premium offering, Gabriel runs well and just cannot be provoked into smoking...

The Activa runs beautifully on regular Esso petrol too...

I hardly ever use supermarket fuel as normally their forecourts are stacked out with queues and I'd rather pay a few coppers more and not have to queue up for ages just to save a couple of bob...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...