Headlamp power, well I never knew that!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Re: Headlamp power, well I never knew that!

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Try just one headlight, a la 70's CB900 I campaigned for many years (still got it at the back of the garage). Couple of relays and a 130/90 H4. Didn't half do the business, but would'nt last that long. Bit of a b~gg#er when you've only the one afrorementioned headlight. Easy on a non-faired bike though, you just lean forward and tilt the 'light up or down. Switched to using 100/80's and they lasted just fine. No plastic lenses/reflectors to melt either way.
Anyway my question is how would a 100/80 upgrade (with good connections) fare against a modern (ish) Night Vision (etc) premium type bulb?
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Anyway my question is how would a 100/80 upgrade (with good connections) fare against a modern (ish) Night Vision (etc) premium type bulb?
FIGHT ! FIGHT ! FIGHT ! FIGHT ! FIGHT !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I've just been reading up about old Land Rover lights.....
Quote: "Early Series IIs had Lucas 700 series headlamps with separate bulbs of only 45/40W rating. These Tungsten filament headlamps cast a lovely warm yellow glow over an area extending about 10ft in front of the vehicle. As an aid to seeing in the dark, they are not especially useful"
:-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Monkeyfeet wrote: Anyway my question is how would a 100/80 upgrade (with good connections) fare against a modern (ish) Night Vision (etc) premium type bulb?
My guess is that a 55W Nightbreaker or X-treme would outperform a standard halogen dip at 80W.
The light from it would certainly be whiter.
The 100W (for main beam) is not usually an issue, as it is rare that main beam is a problem.

XM, for example, leaves dip beam on when main beam is selected. Dip covers the apron in front of the car, and main illuminates the distance. Not sure whether Xantia is the same.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Xantia is the same....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote:I've just been reading up about old Land Rover lights.....
Quote: "Early Series IIs had Lucas 700 series headlamps with separate bulbs of only 45/40W rating. These Tungsten filament headlamps cast a lovely warm yellow glow over an area extending about 10ft in front of the vehicle. As an aid to seeing in the dark, they are not especially useful"
:-D
:rofl2: That made me howl and reminds me of my old R4 6V lights -- and my Xantia lights :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Try a 1965 BSA Bantam D7, 6 volt electrics, 35 watt dip and main beam and when braking the headlamp is even dimmer!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Speaking of bike lights, my cycle lights are brighter and better than my Xantia lights. These modern LEDs are amazing... My bike headlight is one LED running from a rechargeable battery in a housing the size of a large matchbox and it's terrific... And that's not the best you can get either...

The rear light is blinding... (no pun intended...)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The two of us were out the other night to a local restaurant, and got into some slow traffic along a bit of unlit coast road. Hell, I thought, I wish that motorbike behind would stop following me on main beam.

Then I realised it was a push-bike. :shock:
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:The two of us were out the other night to a local restaurant, and got into some slow traffic along a bit of unlit coast road. Hell, I thought, I wish that motorbike behind would stop following me on main beam.

Then I realised it was a push-bike. :shock:
Some of the high-end ones are like arc-lamps Chris.. I've been dazzled by one to the extent I had to stop and let the bike pass... I was on my bike on a cycle path and initially I thought it was a motorbike being naughty...

The light output of the top ones are measured in thousands of Lumens! My regular one is a relatively dim one at just a paltry 800 Lumens...
Jim

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The problem with these ultra bright LED bicycle lights is that they don't cut off to the left, so the beam is directly ahead. I think some sort of new regulation is needed, maybe a dip/ main beam unit for push bikes!

Another example that I have a problem with is emergency vehicle lights, the LED types are absolutely dazzling at night, really distracting and I think potentially dangerous. They should really have a night setting to reduce or eliminate the glare.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

HDI wrote:The problem with these ultra bright LED bicycle lights is that they don't cut off to the left, so the beam is directly ahead. I think some sort of new regulation is needed, maybe a dip/ main beam unit for push bikes!

Another example that I have a problem with is emergency vehicle lights, the LED types are absolutely dazzling at night, really distracting and I think potentially dangerous. They should really have a night setting to reduce or eliminate the glare.
Fully agree with that - they are without question quite dangerous and likely to exacerbate an emergency situation.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

HDI wrote:The problem with these ultra bright LED bicycle lights is that they don't cut off to the left, so the beam is directly ahead. I think some sort of new regulation is needed, maybe a dip/ main beam unit for push bikes!
Yes, I'm always careful to aim mine downward as I'm well aware of the dazzle potential.. You're right, some regulation is needed...
HDI wrote:Another example that I have a problem with is emergency vehicle lights, the LED types are absolutely dazzling at night, really distracting and I think potentially dangerous. They should really have a night setting to reduce or eliminate the glare.
Yes, 100% agreed. They are dangerous... Also, I have great trouble working out from which direction an emergency vehicle is coming from when it has its 'American Cops and Robbers' type sirens on. I have so much trouble positioning it that taking effective avoiding action is quite impossible and dis-orientating... I know I'm not alone in this...

I never have the same issue if an emergency vehicle has the old traditional two-tone horns. I can instantly position those and take rapid action... A case (again) where the new, just like the lights, is not an improvement. The old rotating blue dome light is perfectly adequate when coupled with proper two-tone air horns...

Safety should be paramount in emergency vehicles and in my view that has well and truly gone out of the window...
Jim

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Thinking about that, I've also found myself trying to determine the direction of an approaching emergency vehicle. It may have something to do with the various frequencies and sounds reflecting off various objects. Also, anyone who has been a pedestrian when one of these vehicles passes knows how extremely loud they are! It's actually quite disturbing! Even in a car they are really loud. Quite unnecessary IMHO.
The lighting aspect also applies to recovery vehicles. Earlier this year I had to be recovered home by the AA and it was in the early hours. I live in the country where there is no street lighting, so when he pulled up outside the house the flashing beacons on the roof were lighting everything up like the sun! I aske him to turn them off and just use the hazards, in deference to my neighbours sleep, but he refused citing company procedure, legislation, etc, etc! Next time I had occasion to speak to the most affected neighbour, he asked about the problem I'd had with the car as he's 'noticed' I'd been recovered! I apologised and explained I'd tried to have them turned off. He understood and said, "we thought we'd been invaded"!!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

HDI wrote: I apologised and explained I'd tried to have them turned off. He understood and said, "we thought we'd been invaded"!!
yes, I've noticed they're like a mobile version of Blackpool Illuminations... Totally and utterly unnecessary and as for citing company policy are these people really so devoid of independent thought and an ability to adapt to a given situation?

That is perhaps the saddest aspect of what is happening all over to our collective detriment :(
Jim