Tired of being cold - solved

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Tired of being cold - solved

Post by elma »

If anything doesn't make sense give me a shout Jim. I'm ruled by the seventeenth these days.

Likewise if you'd like to borrow the yellow book or the onsite guide.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I only ever did the 16th twenty odd years ago. What's the new colours? Purple grey and black or something? Brilliant choice, I wonder what "expert" dreamed those up. I hear there were a few deaths because people thought black was earth?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

demag wrote:I only ever did the 16th twenty odd years ago. What's the new colours? Purple grey and black or something? Brilliant choice, I wonder what "expert" dreamed those up. I hear there were a few deaths because people thought black was earth?
Yes, funnily enough I was looking at just that subject in the 17th last evening... It's senseless. Whatever was wrong with Red, Blue and Yellow for three-phase supplies?

Even worse is the new colour codes for DC systems... Surely Red and Black is immediately logical and natural?
elma wrote:If anything doesn't make sense give me a shout Jim. I'm ruled by the seventeenth these days.
Thanks James :D I'm studying the 17th now to update myself from the 16th.. Bit late I know but when the 16th was still current I did a huge amount of work with translating the 16th into a document that could be read and understood more easily than the official documents... To do that I had to know the 16th inside-out and backwards...

A lot has been forgotten in the intervening 20-odd years but happily the 17th is bringing it all back :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Mmm dc, nasty stuff. It hugs you :-(

Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

demag wrote:Mmm dc, nasty stuff. It hugs you :-(
Yes... High voltage DC is to be respected... Low voltage DC, if it has enough amps behind it can be pretty dangerous too. Think of a short circuit across a car battery for instance...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:
Yes... High voltage DC is to be respected... Low voltage DC, if it has enough amps behind it can be pretty dangerous too. Think of a short circuit across a car battery for instance...
It was that that stopped me wearing my wedding ring, I reached down the side of the engine on an old Austin and shorted it between the starter solenoid wire and the copper braided oil gauge pipe, damn near burned my finger off. :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Mine slides off due to arthritic knuckles. :-(

Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
It was that that stopped me wearing my wedding ring, I reached down the side of the engine on an old Austin and shorted it between the starter solenoid wire and the copper braided oil gauge pipe, damn near burned my finger off. :shock:
Nasty! Same can happen with metal watch straps and they can be a great hazard in high RF fields too. Always been strictly verboten in my old line of work...

When we used to work on big batteries all tools had to be fully insulated and we ourselves could wear nothing metallic whatsoever... If you were a fan of piercings it was not a job for you...
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

The 18ths not far off Jim, don't spend too much time translating the 17th. It was due over a year ago but the technology is moving too rapidly so they amended the 17th in the mean time.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm not translating this time James, just for personal refreshment and revision... Happily!

I thought the 18th must be nigh-on due seeing as how long the 17th have ben around now...

Wonder what fun the 18th will contain to keep us all interested :twisted:
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

It's overdue, we were promised it for 2015 but got an amended 17th instead. The story going round was the iet couldn't write it as fast as technology changes and aren't willing to release it until they catch up. I think they'll be paying special attention to bathroom electrics as you can now get things like electric baths and the 17th doesn't really allow for that.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

I'm looking at different heating for the house. It's making my head spin. Had a bloke round for quotes for oil fired CH, solar hot water, and a wood burner with ducts for hot air. In the end I'll probably stick some piping on the garage roof in the summer, a fan on the wood burner for winter. And plug in the electric over blanket. Lovely it is.

The house has some horrid solid core wiring. Not come across it before, not easy to use either.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.