Flush and bleed V6 coolant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Flush and bleed V6 coolant

Post by elma »

Any advice appreciated on flushing and bleeding Xantia V6 coolant. Going to do it tomorrow, found one bleed screw so far under a plastic cover near the air box and the coolant reservoir. Particularly want to clean out the gearbox oil cooler.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Flush and bleed V6 coolant

Post by xantia_v6 »

elma wrote:Any advice appreciated on flushing and bleeding Xantia V6 coolant. Going to do it tomorrow, found one bleed screw so far under a plastic cover near the air box and the coolant reservoir. Particularly want to clean out the gearbox oil cooler.
I have sent you some data via email.
elma

Post by elma »

Thanks Mike, looks very handy. I just have to work out what some of the pictures on page 2 are of then I can get going with confidence.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

I'd appreciate a copy if there's one available [emoji18]

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
elma

Post by elma »

Pm me your email and I shall pass it on.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh James, at this rate your V6 is going to be the best S1 in the country :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

Done by March is the plan Jim, looking forward to just enjoying it. I wish I could reach these blooming Lhm leaks they haunt my thoughts at the moment. Maybe today I'll get my hands on the first one.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I understand that James. I hate LHM leaks - in fact any leaks - myself...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

There are four bleed screws - I did this job recently myself after changing a radiator. One bleed screw is in the top corner of the radiator at the battery end.

There are two allen head bolts on the thermostat assembly - one on the upper section and one on the bottom section. You'll need to remove the air filter box to get at them. (which is step one on any V6 job :twisted: ) These two allen head bolts look "out of place" and when you unscrew them half way you'll find they're in fact hollow with a side drilling half way up...

The fourth bleed screw is at the top of the heater matrix hose joint - you can't see it but if you reach up under where the two hoses go into the firewall for the heater matrix you'll feel what is basically a tyre valve cap with an o-ring in it, I just remove it completely during bleeding to allow it to flow. (The two allen screws can just be unscrewed half way)

I found it extremely easy to bleed compared to some engines, no problems with air locks at all and the coolant expansion chamber is the highest part of the system so you don't even need to use an extra header tank! Just pour it in and close each bleed screw in turn as they flow. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Tip....take great CARE when opening the (4th) heater matrix bleed valve cap, it is very easy to undo it to far and thus easy to drop it, you will not find it again !

I replaced mine (and its little o-ring) with a metal tyre valve cap. (No way I like a little plastic cap being the only barrier to all my coolant)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good point Alasdair and as you found they’re not standard valve caps...

I've 'lost' them in the past too...

I have a few spares knocking around as the 1.9TD also uses one too...
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Stickyfinger wrote:Tip....take great CARE when opening the (4th) heater matrix bleed valve cap, it is very easy to undo it to far and thus easy to drop it, you will not find it again !
But it's not a proper bleed valve, just a cap so it has to be removed fully to bleed properly ? I found that it wouldn't bleed unless I removed it.

But yes, be careful with it. Just to be the odd one out I did drop mine but I did find it again! :twisted:
I replaced mine (and its little o-ring) with a metal tyre valve cap. (No way I like a little plastic cap being the only barrier to all my coolant)
Yes it's surprising a little plastic tyre valve cap with an o-ring can withstand nearly 100 degrees and 1.4 bars but apparently it does!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
elma

Post by elma »

Thank you for the help. With all the advice and the diagrams it went quite smoothly. Good to know the process for when the waterpump is changed and even better to have new coolant in for winter.