losing coolant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

edd001
My Cars:

losing coolant

Post by edd001 »

hi to all
have just noticed that i am losing coolant but can not see any leaks from anywere and oil leval is fine so not the HG
can anyone help.
cheers edd
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Just because the oil is fine doesn't mean that the head gasket is fine...
Could be a number of things; leaking radiator/expansion cap, even cracked/porous head!
You could have a fine split somewhere such that it only leaks when hot; by the time it's all cooled down the leak has evaporated!
How much coolant are you losing? A litre per week, or a cupful a month?
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

it has use about 1 litre in the space of about 3 weeks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Edd -
The most sure indication of a leaking HG is air bubbles from the coolant filler - cap off - while engine is idle. More bubbles as you rev the engine. Test from cold - and do it for peace in mind.
The coolant filler neck should always have some 10cm of free air left - to allow for fluid expansion when hot.
1L in 3 weeks sounds to me like a leaking hose - look for white deposits at every coolant hose stud - and over the radiator body. Very rare you'll actually see a dripping leak - as the cooling system is pressurised with hot engine - and then any leaking fluid evapourises fast. Som smallish steam from engine bay with hot engine after a drive is usually a telltale.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Any funny smells from the interior heater? Apart from the above be aware of interior heater matrix leaking. Its got me a couple of times when i thought i had checked everything!!
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

you saying about the smell
the wife has said she smelt a funny smell a cuple of times but it is not a constant smell.
i have not smelt anything so she must have the nose of a dog.
oops! who said that
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Ohh err Ed, I'd better not pass comment on your wifes attributes! Seriously though when I had the matrix go on the Xantia estate I could only smell it briefly after about 5 minutes running. I presume after then I just got used to it, however the real tell tale sign was a damp carpet in the front passenger footwell and a tendency for the windows to steam up when the air con wasn't on.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

have not got damp carpets and the windows do not steam up.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

You can spend many hours tracking coolant loss. Have a garage pressure test it and look for the leak / bubbles when the system is under pressure when cold. The kit to do it is like a bicycle hand pump with piping etc to connect it to the radiator.
My tame garage did it on my wife's old cavalier and didn't charge.