Cambelt DIY C8

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ozfish1969
My Cars: C8, Mgzt-t, (Mighty) Daewoo Musso, Bmw R1100rt.

Cambelt DIY C8

Post by ozfish1969 »

Hopefully my clutch should be back together early next week once the parts arrive.

Next job is the cambelt/tensioners and water pump as its now coming up to 10 years old and just over 70,000 miles so due the change.

Has anyone DIY'd a C8 2.0 16v petrol cambelt themselves and if so are there any tips/pitfalls as it looks like quite a tight space to work on the cambelt.

Thanks.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Cambelt DIY C8

Post by RichardW »

Sure you can do the cambelt if you can do the clutch... books at 4.8 hours though, so it's not a walk in the park!
Richard W
ozfish1969

Post by ozfish1969 »

Started to strip the car down to change the cambelt / waterpump etc ready to change when the timing locking kit arrives, hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday.
The issue I have is I was assuming that the flywheel locking kit with the two pins for the cams would do it, however looking at the inlet cam it appears that there is a plate over the cam face pully so a locking pin cannot be used.
Anyone come across this before, I'm sure someone has, and how did you lock the inlet cam.
I am thinking that as long as the flywheel / crank is locked, along with the exhaust cam, and I mark the position of the inlet cam against a point on the rear cover, then mark a point on the exhaust cam and belt, then do the same on the inlet cam and belt, mark a point on the crank pulley and belt then once its off, measure the distance marked on the old belt against the new belt, count the teeth on old belt between the marks and mark the new belt accordingly I should be fine ?
I know the inlet cam will rotate slightly if not locked due to spring pressure, but surely I can take the 'play' up and set it up according to the marks I've made.
I hope that makes sense to someone who can advise.
I do have a photo of the inlet cam but unsure as to how to post it.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

is that the same engine as in a 206 2.0? twin cam about 130 horses I think..

john
ozfish1969

Post by ozfish1969 »

Don't know if its the same as the 2.0 206 engine, but logbook says its 103 Kw, that's about 138 Bhp so its possibly same engine. If I've read the Vin number correctly I believe mine is an RFJ engine if that helps.

Looking on line I have found one of those 'universal' cam locking tools which will lock the inlet to the exhaust cam so might have to get one of those:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWIN-CAM-LOCK ... SwBahVgCOT

Or else there is this kit:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/laser-3 ... ing-tools/
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

thanks ozfish

I looked at this engine on Sunday as other half wants hers doing... it looked a tight fit in that car :(

will follow with interest ..
yes cam locking tool a good idea..

had a quick look and I think hers is an ew10j4 rfn
ozfish1969

Post by ozfish1969 »

Just found this, brief guide, on line if it helps anyone.

http://replace-timing-belt.com/how-to-r ... -2-0i-2006_/

Its for the Pug 307 2.0 16v petrol but goes onto cover other models, one of which is the 807 so will be the same as our C8's.

The guide time for the 807 is optimistic to say the least though :lol:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

service.citroen says 143 BHP (or could be PS I suppose!).

Should be able to pin the front cam at 5 o'clock, and the rear cam at about 7 o'clock. Crank pin is on the rear of the engine; needs a large stepped pin to go in it, as per your link.
Richard W
ozfish1969

Post by ozfish1969 »

Finally got round to doing the cambelt / waterpump / tensioners today. My god what an absolute nightmare of a job !

Apart from the lack of space and having to lift engine, drop engine, lift engine..... on a trolley jack when working on the belt area, the waterpump nuts are not captive and dropped out from behind the pump housing. That resulted in having to remove a heat shield which is best accessed with 10 inch long fingers which need to be half the width of a normal finger !!!

In addition the access to the flywheel locking space to place the relevant locking tool is of the same restricted access.

The issue I had with the inlet cam having the cover and therefore no locking point was solved with marking the pully, old belt and a point on the back cover with tippex. I marked the exhaust cam and crank in a similar way. Once the old belt was off I simply counted the teeth between the marks and marked the new belt up in exactly the same way. It went on ok though its recommended to hold the belt onto the bottom crank with a clamp. Eventually the belt went on correctly, tensioner correctly set up (that in itself is a pain) and all back together.

The old belt and pump were in very good condition but for the sake of about £140 all in (GSF 48% discount) its peace of mind.

Its taken me about 1 and a half days all in, taking time / breaks and plenty of swearing.

Now the battery is on charge as its gone so flat the electric doors wont close.

That's the clutch and cambelt kit done so hopefully they will be good for another 70,000 miles.

I can honestly say that this has been the most difficult / awkward cambelt that I have ever changed.

Never again will I do it on a C8 and that's coming from someone reasonably handy with the spanners and who enjoys 'tinkering'. Give me an old Volvo anyday, fix those with a lump hammer and a set of spanners!

Anyone contemplating doing this job yourself, have a good think if its not just worth stumping up the cash for a garage to do it.