Seized Xantia 2 bonnet cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Seized Xantia 2 bonnet cable

Post by handyman »

As the title says, in my efforts to get the S2 V6 back on the road, I needed to access under the bonnet.

Lo & behold, when the lever under the dash is pulled, sweet FA happens to the bonnet release. Its not unclipped as it was working well a little while ago, so I'm assuming its seized. :rofl2:

I know on a MK1 its possible to fiddle around in the grill & get the cable to release. Not so sure on my S2, so if anybody has a get around, I'd appretiate it, PDQ.

I'd hasten to add, please send me a PM as I dont want this info to be on the Forum for all to see. [-X
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Re: Seized Xantia 2 bonnet cable

Post by Paulmi16 »

Have you tried pushing down on the bonnet, whilst someone else pulls the lever?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Paulmi16 wrote:Have you tried pushing down on the bonnet, whilst someone else pulls the lever?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Yes, first thing I tried with my unwilling helper, to no avail.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

H, I'll have a close look at my S2 this morning and see if there’s a way of getting to the release mechanism via the grille or from underneath...

I'll be all over mine like a rash as I'm doing the cambelt...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Jim, I had hoped you would show up. If anybody knows how to, its got to be you!

I did wonder if the cable runs through the inner wing so I could give it a tug from there. I'm always mindful of how fragile that plastic release handle is in the dash. I did have a problem years ago with a Mk1 but cant remember how we solved it in the end, save that the release cable was modified to exit out to the grill, but Mk1 grills are different to S2s.

I'll await your prognosis.

H
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Handyman,

I opened mine by going underneath, reaching up and pulling on the cable to open. It's at the passenger side beside the rad, there is a small portion of the cable accessible.. Once opened I put cable tie on it prior to fixing the cable. Sometimes the cable and the outer sheath rust together preventing the cable moving inside.

I hope this helps.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Kenny, you beat me to it :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Richard W
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Success! After rattling the bonnet for a couple of minutes and gently increasing the tension on the plastic bonnet release handle, the bonnet eventually let go. I was almost at the point where I thought the handle was going to shear.

I did a search for info, before posting up, as like RichardW said, there is nuffin on Xantias that hasn't been done before. Surprised that the search came back with lots of posts, all irrelevant & mostly about seized handbrake cables. What were your keywords for the search?

Looking forward to doing Mandrakes mod on the pressure regulator. Bosch unit on order.

Thanks for the support.

H