Heavy steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Billathome65
My Cars: Renault Clio Mk2 1,2 16V Ph2 with the D4F engine ( Current repair project )

Citroen C3 1.4 LX 2002

Heavy steering

Post by Billathome65 »

Hi guys a little advice needed on this.

A few nights back due to the sod you attitude of many ( not all ) of todays younger drivers, I was forced to throw out the anchors and do an emergency stop.

I'm glad to say my 2002 C3 pulled of the stop perfectly and no damage.

Now the interesting point after a little cursing I carried on driving however a few hundred yards down the road the steering became really heavy as if the power steering had packed up? Holding her straight and turning became a struggle, so as I was in work I parked the car up and thought oh joy looks like break down services when I finish work at 12.30am.

When I finished work I crossed my fingers and started the car and started to move, for a moment the steering was still heavy then it corrected itself and has been fine since.

So any ideas of what might have happened??????

Cheers guys
Last edited by elma on 30 Nov 2016, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic spelling
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Re: Heavy steering

Post by ekjdm14 »

I'm not sure what type of power steering these modern Cit's have, but my thoughts if it's electro/hydraulic are perhaps the force of the stop threw the PAS fluid away from the pump inlet momentarily causing the pump to draw air & the electronics to disable the motor to stop it damaging the pump. Otherwise though I'm not sure and will leave it to those more au fait with the car.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k