ZX Info needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

ZX Info needed

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Folks
I am seriously thinking of getting a ZX diesel for an everyday car, and selling my Series 1 59,000 2 owner BX16TRS to someone who can treat it more like a classic, so a few questions:
Assuming a trim level more than the poverty spec (Aura or higher?),
Are all diesels turbocharged?
Are they all 5-door (hate 3-door cars with a vengeance)
Are there any WITHOUT ABS and airbag(s)
What are the 'stock faults' I should be looking for? (I know all about XUD head/gasket problems)
Is the auto box twinned with a diesel any good? I assume it is the same or similar ZF 4-speed as my BX that gives direct drive in 4th
Any useful links would be helpful, too
Thanks
Mike
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Not all the diesels are turbocharged, in fact most ZX's aren't. They are all 1.9's though.
The ZX comes in both 3 and 5 door versions (as well as a 5 door estate).
Not all comes with ABS; don't know about Airbags.
Some of the ZX owners can be more helpful here; for common faults I think there's problems with the rear beam bushes and brake hoses, as well as the rear drum adjusters (on all sub-Volcane) playing up, but that's a common PSA fault; both give the impression of very poor/spongy brakes.
I'd guess the 1.9D Auto isn't a ball of fire, but should drive well due to the torque available from the Diesel unit.
Andrew Robey
My Cars:

Post by Andrew Robey »

I'm sure you will get plenty of replies, but briefly - No, not all diesels are Turbos - I have a 1.9D normally injected engine. It's a good engine, but not exactly spritely!! I understand the turbo's go like stink tho. If economy is what your after, mine does over 50mpg.
Lower specced models had ABS as an option, and if you search this board for the word 'Popeye', you'll find someone who has one that doesn't even have power steering, if you really want to go basic!
Things to watch out for... Heater matrix on high milers - an absolute head-ache of a job. Check heating works well, no smell of coolant in car, and no Radweld in radiator etc
Suspension mounts go on older cars too aparently.
[:)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hiya Mike. My ZX does not have abs or airbags. I think they added those options when they modified the front grill late 1994 ish..
As for spec you can do what I have done, i.e. upgrade your car by obtaining stuff from scrappys or Ebay. EG I have the front aerated disk brakes and complete interior trim from a volcane, 14 inch ally wheels from the Aura, I also fitted a foot rest from an old Jag as for some strange reason Cit never though to put one in!!
Re the auto version. you may have a long search to find a nice one, they are thin on the ground! I love mine, the only thing I can fault it on is the fact that it wont go into top (4th) gear at less than 40 mph, so my 'in town' mpg is only in the low 30's, but on the motorways I have managed 55 over 350 mile journey at around 65 mph.. I ave about 40mpg overall.. [^]
Dont take the spec as gospel on any ZX model, they seem to vary a great deal, the only way to be sure is to have a look! I nearly bought an Aura that had no power steering..[:I] Also I have been reliably informed that they dont fit turbo engines to the automatics,
as it damages the auto gearbox. I considered putting one in my car but the bloke advised me not too, in spite of the fact he wanted to sell the engine...
You can find a list of the main faults if you look on this site, but provided you maintain them regularly I doubt you will find a more reliable, comfortable, or economic car. Personaly I am delighted with mine. [:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Have an 'L' reg ZX TD Avantage. Goes like stink for a diesel. It's got the electric front windows, electric sunroof, PAS and has the vented front disc's. It's had several problems fixed like rear subframe bushes, CV boots, new disc's but it the same with any older car not just the ZX. I've replaced the Citroen stereo and fitted a Sony, good sound from original speakers, only got front ones though but may fit some rear ones if I can be bothered. Dont go to Halfords or by a ZX stereo suround off E-bay, they only cost £10 from citroen them sleves. All in all a great car and returns about 400 miles from £28 of derv. Only wish I'd gone for one of the newer ones with the fitted fog lamps and the newer front grill. The wife says I can start looking for a newer car come March.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Stuart, you can buy the front plate complete with fogs fairly cheap from a scrappy, I bought new ones though and my mate fitted them for me. :-) all in all cost about £80 including the dash switch from Cit dealers. I think the "old" grille looks better anyway. :-D
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Apparentlt build quality is better on four door models due to them being built in france, three door ones being built in spain, up to 93/94 did not have too many electricals/airbags, ecus etc.
Stewart
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I had some fog lamps from Halfords a couple of weks ago. I fitted them flush in the bumper. There's an oval shape moulded in the bumper so I made a template and fitted them. I also got hold a ZX fog lamp switch and fitted that too. It works great. The switch illumination took time to work out but I sorted it. And the lamps are in the correct position height ways etc. Even the wife saya it looks good. total cost (I had other stuff with the switch) £48.
But going back to the question. I've seen only a few air bags fitted and they've all been on 'N' reg's onwards.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Unfortunately the auto gearbox isn't available with the diesel turbo (I don't think it could take the torque delivery). The Manual TD is a real ball of fire, the auto not so. However, check that you are getting full throttle - the previous owner to my fathers ZX auto diesel had "adjusted" the throttle cable so that you couldn't get more than half throttle. Don't know if it was to fool the MOT guys or to keep the Misses quite!
/NiSk
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

ABS? hah! erm, it would probably be a lot safer if it did! The brakes on my 1.9D are shocking, but then I don'y really know enough about maintenence myself to do anyting about it!
Spec is good on all but the lowest "Reflex" models. My Avantage (2nd one up) has remote central locking, power steering, elec front windows and elec sunroof etc.
Not a fast car though, the turbo is supposedly much better performance-wise with not too much less consumption. Quite a bit higher insurance grouping though
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

As a daily driver, you can't beat a ZX. The non-turbo lump will last just about forever with regular oil and filter changes and attention to coolant loss.
The front calipers need regular attention, or the brakes can be quite poor - this is a Pug/Cit "feature" not unique to ZX's. When they're regularly attended to, the brakes are nice and sharp. The handbrake actuators within the rear drums benefit from the occasional copper greasing.
My '93 car is doing 2500+ miles a month with no fuss at all. Accelleration isn't exactly arm wrenching, but if you dial in a speed up to 90 mph (on the autobahn of course), it'll stay there all day and all night until you hit traffic and have to slow down. Best MPG I've had is 64 @ a constant 65 MPH.
Best of all is there is nothing that I can't fix myself, and no expensive bits to go wrong. Servicing is a breeze, and genuine parts are cheap through GSF. Mine's probably been by best ever motoring decision, the only downside is that it could be accused of being a teensy weensy bit boring.
But for a daily driver, boring is a good thing. I still have the nervous tick from when I drove an XM V6 every day.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Re auto performance with the ZX 1.9D. I have had a speedo reading of 110 mph on the M5 in the early hours of the morning several times, and a lady friend did Devon to manchester in it, covered 270 miles in 3hrs 50 mins and said she stopped for coffee in Michael wood services! She "blamed" the car! [:D] said she tried to keep at 75 ish but every time she looked at the clock it read 95 mph again! [:I] So it can sustain fairly good speeds over quite a long time..
After reading on here about driving diesels differently I now drop a gear on a long uphill and accelerate back up to 4,000revs (70mph) in 3rd, then when I drop it back into top, it holds that speed easily, although the revs are back at 3,000.. [^]
My Avantage spec was identical to Toms when I bought it.. Lecky roof, windows etc are pretty standard on the Avantage, and I totaly agree with arr_b As a daily driver, you can't beat a ZX [:D]... All things taken into consideration its certainly my best ever car purchase..[^]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

ABS was there early in the range, youth at my work has a J reg 1.9D aura with rear discs and ABS.
Dave
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Thanks, everyone, for your input.
It'll have to be a manual, then.
Tom - ABS does not make your brakes more powerful - it is just for those who have never learnt to cadence brake.
A few final questions:
What is the cambelt change interval, and are they better/worse than a BX for accessibility?
What sort of a job is the rear subframe bushes?
Why is the heater matrix a painto change? I presume entire dash needs to come out, so it is just time?
Stuart - if you are selling your car in MArch, I may be interested
Mike