Is the Citroën Xantia a future classic ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

Is the Citroën Xantia a future classic ?

Post by lancia58 »

I know that the number of Xantias decreases very fast. I guess it is because it has a poor resale value and the maintenance is not easy and might be expensive. I live in a city with a population of 300,000 and as long as I know there are about 5-7 Xantias. On the roads I haven't seen Xantias for months. I wonder if the Xantia is going to be a future classic like the Iconic models the 2CV, the DS and the Mehari

Zohar
Last edited by lancia58 on 27 Nov 2016, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Is the Citroën Xantia a future classic ?

Post by Stickyfinger »

No: it will be a forgotten car and will fade to be a footnote, the only entry a mention of Active Suspension (but history will always show the Activa II prototype pictures)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Maybe Alasdair but then explain why such monstrosities such as the Austin Allaggro and the Morris Marina have become classics?

I think the Activa and V6 will always be well loved and well remembered especially as they get rarer and rarer...

It's a good few years off yet as the XM and BX have not yet truly made it... Witness their absence from the CCC stand at the Classic Motor Show earlier this month... Just the usual suspects were on display this year :( Nothing adventurous there but what do you expect...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Austin Allaggro and the Morris Marina, classic in name only , they have zero following with "younger than the car" drivers.....

fade away Jim, sad but that will be the fate of them..........
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I'm with Jim on this one. I think it's still 'early days' for XM (and BX). Friends we meet are still surprised when they discover that our XM is twenty years old - they regard it as something much less old. Good few possible reasons for this, but one could be that a good deal of more modern stuff can't offer much more in he way of comfort and accessories, except in the entertainment, electronics and display departmemt.

I think some of the Classic car world regards XM (let alone Xantia) in the same way. Also, despite current very buoyant sales of today's Citroens, the innovations and qualities of hydropneumatic Citroens still remain "a mystery" where most people (and many in the trade!) are concerned. Unless you've owned one, and bothered to find out what makes them tick, they'll probably just get binned along with all the other stuff.

That's exactly what has happened in Spain, too. XMs in less-than-miniscule numbers; Xantia perishing fast, as the majority of owners choose not to maintain them, or realise - all too late - that they actually required some special service attention. Some literally crash and bounce their way to the scrapyards, where they are immedately crushed (no call for used spares).

Having said all that, we passed two BXs yesterday, one metallic red, the other a spoilered white, within a km of each other. That's the first seen in almost six months! And Citroen here has enjoyed a huge following ever since C15 appeared.
Last edited by white exec on 27 Nov 2016, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Is the Citroën Xantia a future classic ?

Post by mickeymoon »

lancia58 wrote:I know that the number of Xantias decreases very fast. I guess it is because it has a poor resale value and the maintenance is not easy and might be expensive. I live in a city with a population of 300,000 and as long as I know there are about 5-7 Xantias. On the roads I haven't seen Xantias for months. I wonder if the Xantia is going to be a future classic like the Iconic models the 2CV, the DS and the Mehari

Zohar
No, it's Citroen's "Ford Mondeo"..

Activa maybe, V6 possibly, but not the run of the mill ones.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Is the Citroën Xantia a future classic ?

Post by mickeymoon »

CitroJim wrote:Maybe Alasdair but then explain why such monstrosities such as the Austin Allaggro and the Morris Marina have become classics?
These have become classics partly because people wear glasses with too much of a rose-tint on, and partly because insurance companies classed them as classics, not because they're a special motor like an E-Type or DS.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: RE: Re: Is the Citroën Xantia a future classic ?

Post by CitroJim »

mickeymoon wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Maybe Alasdair but then explain why such monstrosities such as the Austin Allaggro and the Morris Marina have become classics?
These have become classics partly because people wear glasses with too much of a rose-tint on, and partly because insurance companies classed them as classics, not because they're a special motor like an E-Type or DS.

Yes, I think there’s a lot in that... I have no rose-tints. I learned to drive in a Marina and the atrocious handling of a Hillman Avenger nearly killed me and four fellow apprentices in 1976...

They were shoddy rubbish then and remain so today whatever labels they may have attached to them now...

Yes, standards Xantias are exactly that - very good, competent French 'Mondeos' - but none the worse for it... They have stood the test of time pretty well though... I speak from experience having both a Xantia 'Mondeo' and a rather special Xantia. The only thing they have in common is they look similar and share a name... Apart from that it's like they came from entirely different makers and are entirely different cars...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

Yes! it's already a classic, though it depends on your fine line between what makes a 'classic' or not.

I tend to dissociate 'classic' with 'prestige' because the two can sometimes be associated in a sort of "can't be one without the other" sort of definition.

I think a classic is anything that was fondly (or not so fondly) remembered. I mean my definition of a 'classic' accepts that some classics were not very good even when new but are still loved. I mean I love 2CVs but let's be honest my memories of growing up with them as family cars were not really of pleasure or comfort (or warmth in the winter...) but it's a massively popular classic.

If I was in any doubt about the Xantia as a classic it was quashed one morning a couple of months ago when I chap walked past as I was opening the door and quite enthusiastically stated "I like your car.." much in the same vain of ".. ah I remember a road trip to Glastonbury in one of those.." or the eternal "my XX (fill in family member) used to have one of those" followed by an anecdote concerning an amusing incident with it that some how referred to a unique aspect of that particular car. That was a common feature when running my previous CXs and Mk1 BXs over the last 16 years.

So for myself I reckon it's a classic simply based on that fact that it's a conversation starter with total strangers for no reasn other than that it's still there.

But then again.. 2030.. "ah we had one of these: a nissan Leaf! I recall the time when we had to hack the electric generator to power a transformer to recharge the satellite phone on that field trip to..." sounds mad but you never know..
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

My view of a classic is something that was a new, great idea. Doesn't have to be prestige or expensive.

Model T
VW Beetle
2CV
Mini
VW Golf
MGB
MX5
Renault 5

Are come cheapies I'd consider classics because they were the first of their kind, apart from the MX5 which was simply what the MGN should have been!

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

I'm not a big fan of genres/putting things in metaphorical boxes, especially not when it comes to cars. True the Allegro et al were awful cars even when new (IIRC they couldn't be safely towed via spectacle lift as the bodyshell would bend!) but all the same they hold some nostalgia for me personally and I even bought a Russet Brown 1300SDL a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. Also, I was and still am a good few years younger than the car so I would dispute Alasdair's argument there.

I think *any* car no matter how good or bad, old or young, upmarket or cost-cutting, tidy or dog-rough, is worthy of preserving if it holds some form of sentimental value for it's owner. At the end of the day one man's classic will always be another's scrap-fodder, Personally I have no desire to own or drive an E-type and while I accept they're good looking cars I don't particularly enjoy seeing them at a show as they're too "obvious" for my tastes. I much prefer the more obscure stuff that makes you think back to when you last saw one, or indeed if you've EVER seen one before.

Classic/Retro/Collectible/Enthusiast or whatever "box" you want to put any given car in, it's all subjective and nobody should ever be discouraged from keeping/saving a car that they have enthusiasm for. (No, I'm NOT in the middle of restoring a Kia Pride haha but I hope everyone can appreciate where I'm coming from?) :)

So in summary, I would suggest, the Xantia is already desirable as a "Classic" if you personally appreciate it's shape, character and features or if it holds memories that enhance your ownership experience. What matters is what you think, not anyone else. :wink:
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote: So in summary, I would suggest, the Xantia is already desirable as a "Classic" if you personally appreciate it's shape, character and features or if it holds memories that enhance your ownership experience. What matters is what you think, not anyone else. :wink:
I certainly agree wholeheartedly with that :D
Jim

Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

I think the Xantia will/ is a classic. I am biased of course.

Proof for me came recently in two examples.

But I went to Motorworld the other day and the bloke came out to have a look and said, "I Haven't seen one of those in ages. And that interior is amazing"

I phoned a few scrappers recently and the chap on the phone said, "I havent seen one for about 4 years let alone scrapped one." This is the Cotswolds though so everyone has brand new Range Rovers, but still.

I like the Xantia, its different, but still completely relevant to todays modern traffic. It suits my needs and looks good doing it, my opinion of course!
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Andy F wrote: I like the Xantia, its different, but still completely relevant to todays modern traffic. It suits my needs and looks good doing it, my opinion of course!
And mine ;)
Jim

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Mine too! Several people have assumed that the 'Green Lady' is on a personal number simply because (when clean) she doesn't look over 20 years old.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)