I just had my ZX 1.9TD tuned today!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Has anyone seen these resistors on Ebay - My little 1.4i goes well but is kinda missing something, can't really explain it, its almost like it goes well off the line then levels off & then pulls well again from 60+. Might just be me, but it has spent its life running around town, might just need the crap blown out of it!
Anyway back to the resistor, Im not sure really, anyone got any thoughts?
matureoak
My Cars:

Post by matureoak »

Ross, If you are talking about the £2-3 resistors that are on eBay, THEY WILL NOT WORK!!. The old saying, you get what you pay for, comes into effect here. If you take a look at the seller's feedback, you'll probably see alot of disgruntled customers.
matureoak
My Cars:

Post by matureoak »

Chemex, I agree with you. In any case, I am not going to be telling my insurers what I do with my car and what I don't do. Insurance premiums are sky high as they are/ What do you think eh?
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Yes the insurance WILL NOT be valid if they find out that you have had it modified. How will they find out if you don't tell them???? There is absolutely NO WAY anyone cn tell that it has been modified.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Agreed, but its not really a modification in my book, its more of an adjustment. [:D]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

There seems to be a lot of info around re the TD performances, does anyone know where I could find some data on a bog standard non tubo ZX? (its even bog standard grey) I'm not thinking in terms of tuning here, just be handy to have some sort of datum-line-base on which to judge if a car is either down on performance or up on fuel consumption before it goes seriously wrong?
I have no idea for example what speed my ZX should be capable of in any given gear, or at what temp it should normaly run. My car could have the throttle cable set to limit perfomance as someone mentioned on here and I wouldn't be aware of it..
Also can anything be done, apart from keeping the servicing up to date, to make a bog standard 1.9D a little more responsive without risking ruducing the life of the engine? Don't get me wrong, I love my ZX.. But - - I must admit it can be a pain sometimes when i want to overtake, I press the throttle pedal and sit there thinking "c'mon car, today would be nice" [:I] And it can be embaressing going uphill in town and being overtaken by a lady pushing a pram.. [:D]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Autocar tested a Reflex (lightest!) in 1991 and state max 97 MPH, 0 - 60 14.7 secs, 30-70 17.6 50-70 20 mpg overall 39, touring 47 - weifgt 1060kg.
Setting the throttle pedal/cable is easy. just hold the pedal down or get someone to sit in the car and see if the lever to which the cable attaches to on the pump will open any further. Adjust the cable by moving the clip to a different notch. Warning - don't do it up too tight - you will break the cable fastening butterflys off the cable and the car will stop (you may be able to thread a nut on to get it going again). Also excessive load may damage the bearing on the pump. The lever should be fully open when the throttle is pushed hard into the floor.
have you made sure no mats are under the pedal?
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

James,
Sadly there is not much you can do with the 1.9 N/A engine - you do not have the turbo to 'play' with.
To those above not telling their insurance co's - the wording will be along the lines 'not modified in order to improve its performance'. You are running the risk of the insurance co deciding not to pay out if you have a prang as you have not declared all facts - they are getting keen on this with modern diesels - I have heard the loss adjusters are inspecting ECU to check for signs of chipping. Agree that it might be difficult to detect, but as you are potentially leaving yourself open to an unlimited damages claim your insurance will not pay, is it worth it[?][?]
matureoak
My Cars:

Post by matureoak »

Hi Richard
Of Course it's worth it. I mean, who is goin to check the ECU on a clapped out citroen ZX out of all cars? If they check the markings on the pump and find that they are out, still, what does that prove? I seriously the underwriters are not going to dig this deep on a Citroen?
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

No ECU to check on the early turbo d's.
IanD
My Cars:

Post by IanD »

Regarding Insurance companies......on a mechanical fuel injected TD theres no way they would be able to check/prove anything in the event of a claim. On HDi's it's a different matter though, they WILL check in the ECU compartment these days as "chipping" is so common.
With regards to Allard & the DervDoctor, what equipment do they use when tuning the mechanical fuel injected TD's? Is it a case of playing with the fuel & boost & watching out the back for smoke levels or do they have the proper equipment such as a laptop to be able to see what the ECU is seeing, boost gauge & smoke meter? Also how long does it take for them to do?
Cheers,
Ian
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Regarding tuning and insurance; I guess it wouldn't be too difficult, given the number of XUDs out there, and the ease of tuning, for an insurance investigator to find that the tamper-proof plugs had been removed from an injector pump. Or that the turbo had been tweaked (spanner marks on rusty nuts etc!).
When I enquired about the effect of intercooler mods with Direct Line, they quoted about 20% premium increase, so I haven't bothered!
Simon Canfer
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Been away for a while.
Allard charged 80 quid for the tune up of my Xantia. 10 quid for an engine low friction treatment. 16 quid for a copy of their tuning book and 34 quid for a K&N air filter.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Thanks Jeremy. I have had speedo readings of 110 mph on the M5 several times in the early hours of the morning, with no passengers and not much in the boot. [:D] so 97 max seems a bit low..
I will check the pedal movement when I can collar someone to press the pedal for me, and try 0 to 60 when I get a few free days to spare lmho. [:I] [:D] The mpg seems right, I ave 40 mpg in mine. thanks again for the info. [:)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Come off it - the acceleration may not be in the GTi class but to describe it as a 'few days' is a bit uncharitable!
I think these cars a quite good aerodynamically which shows up as the ease with which they will hold high speeds. My impression is that the speedo is reasonably accurate at 70 but whether it goes into overdrive after that I can't say. Ours will reach an indicated 90 with surprising ease and will undoubtably go a great deal faster given time etc.
As a matter of interest the fuel consumption seems to be about the same as my TD BX estate and certainly not any better. This is not a result of proper measuring but just a general feeling.
I seem to remember What Car got slightly better performance figures and loved the ZX on its introduction.
jeremy
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Jeremy, my ZX is auto so the MPG is not as good as a manual would be.. As for "a few days", it was meant to be amusing hehe. I love my lil ZX across the board.. But its not perfik! :-)
Reminds me, another dash bulb gone, now its hard to read my temp guage in the dark. :-( and the inacesabilty of those bulbs is a bad joke..