Rare ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Rare ZX

Post by Stuart McB »

I just been on E bay and seen the 3 door ZX that I would really like. It's the rare 3 door 16 valve 2 liter model in silver with the all the bits. Just have alook you know what to look for. It's got a buy now of £1695, and it looks like a possible K reg. A liitle too much for me but I would like it in my garge. [:D]
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I saw this earlier on for a good bit less!
I might chase this because its close(ish) to where I work, and benj never replied to me about selling his. (Hopefully somebody else from the board is enjoying it [}:)] [;)] )
Looks nice in silver, and I must say I had never considered the similarity to the Saxo VTR/VTS. Obviously the quick baby Cits have had good parentage!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Im pretty sure its the one on auto trader as well as the photo looks identical. It seems to be missing its 2.0 badge and possibly the 16v one on the passenger side as well. I doubt it will sell on ebay but may be worth ringing him if it is the auto trader one. Bargain down due to the badges, the 16v cost me £14.50 to replace on mine! make sure its had a clutch change if high mileage as thats a costly job as well and cambelt at 70k as ive seen one with bents valves after a belt snap :)
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Check the oil filler cap!! Make sure it doesn't look like egg mayo in there! Check inside Radiator as well if you can't see coolant.. run and don't look back.[V] Look at the two ACAV Actuators, check the connecting pipes, if they are broken they're a bugger to glue and cost £35 each to replace. Check the Cat, if its badly corroded and the wrong car, this could be a Cit only replacement £320, please. I say the wrong car, certain years had up to three different cats fitted. Mine was the one that even EuroCats don't do. Test drive it, if it seems to be a bit jumpy around town, could be the throttle switch £60.
Other than those special pointers, just look for all the usual stuff, good luck.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

You want to see the mayo in mine, im sure its some kinda of record. When i took the pipes off and put a air compressor in one end the mess was quite obscene lol! Leaking head gasket is the problem but I have neither the time or money to fix it so just keep cleaning the pipes out every 6 weeks or so and its only leaking a bit of water out of the front :)
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Its definitely the same one that was on Autotrader for £1395, now increased to £1795! I'd say its worth £1200 - £1300, maybe less if its done a horrendous mileage. I'm always suspicious when the mileage isn't quoted, even with such an old car.
Darren and Gareth, what sort of mileages have yours done? Is the engine generally reliable? (I've read of the problems with the ACAV. Isn't everything else pretty conventional?)
The missing badges are a bit of a concern. I'd want everybody to know what it was! [}:)]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

mines done 99k and the head gasket is leaking at the front left. Tightened the head bolts but no change. One of my acav's was broken when I got it. Other than that it works fine. It does very slightly hunt the entire time regardles of revs but is only noticable to the driver and you cannot hold it at say 3000 out of gear as it is always going up and down. One of the many sensors is to blame i guess. I have had to spend a lot on mine and in hingsight it wasnt a good purchase but I always wanted one and it is great to drive but only really when youre caining it :)
the front of mines in a bit of a state as well due to doing the below at Goodwood but I got it back vaguely straight as you can see in the 2nd pic
http://www.visagti.com/pics/zx_16v/goowood_0004b.jpg
http://www.visagti.com/pics/zx_16v/northweald.jpg
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

Mi16 engine? isn't that 1.9?
it says "absolutely original" but I'm suspicious of stuff on ebay! Like the lack of mileage info, and those wheels are late model ones aren't they?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Looks like you need some Activa suspension on there, VisaGTi16v...lol
[:D]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomH</i>

Mi16 engine? isn't that 1.9?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There's also a few versions of the 2.0 16V lump as well..and most have appeared in the Pug 306!
I thought the Mi16 lump was the 1.9, unless they also called the 2.0 versions a Mi16.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

all bx 16v's and 405 mi16's up to early L reg had the 1905cc engine. The bx stopped then but he 405 carried on for a bit with the 1998cc heavier iron engine but was still called 405 mi16. That engine is the same as in the zx 16v and 306 s16. The same engine with a different inlet manifold and cams was then fitted to the 306 gti-6, xsara vts and some very late zx's which are rare as things get although there is one on ebay right now and ive mailed the bloke and he confirms it is a 167 with the different inlet manifold. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1
Phil, you try turning into a hard right chicane at 85 with dodgy front tyres, your car will lean even one as stiff as a zx 16v :)
The wheels on that silver ebay zx are standard 16v ones. The late 167 models came with xsara vts wheels although the only proof ive seen of this was a french one
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by VisaGTi16v</i>

Phil, you try turning into a hard right chicane at 85 with dodgy front tyres, your car will lean even one as stiff as a zx 16v :)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
OK, Fair enough! I those circumstances, then even an Activa would be struggling!
Not seen the course at North Weald, but if it's anything like Debden, then it'll be a sharp corner!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

not been to debden myself but my friends done it, the last section uses part of the kart track which sounds like fun :) a lot of people slate airfield sprints but they can make up good tracks, did one at Wethersfield which is right by debden/north weald and that was great.
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

i have a 2.0l 16v zx in red the 155bhp version
i have added a cotton green air filter from a volcane diesel and a s/s exhaust and decat pipe
the car flies as im young and into the cruising scene and wat have u it definatly raises a few eyebrows and blows alot of other cars away.
i used to have a 1.4 reflex and modded it in every way possible (bodywork)it was featured on a few web sites
i love zx's i wish they still made em im gonna have my 16v 4 ever
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I've had a look in one of those What car price guides and a Parker's and the price quoted for a minter is £1400. So I would seem that this one regardless of how rare it is, is way off the fair price mark. Still looks good. As I'm up for a new car in march (if the wife lets me)I was just wondering,
1) does the Volcane come in petrol?
2) does the Volcane come in any other colour that white,
3) can I get a 3 door?
And what kind of trim do you get. currently ZX Avantage TD.