Bleeding Xantia TD injector pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Bleeding Xantia TD injector pump

Post by CitroJim »

Heating can be arranged James... Coil the filter inlet pipe around the top hose ;)

Back in the 70's you could buy a kit to allow your screen wash to be heated like that before it hit the windscreen!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The filter head shown was what I put onto the 205TD as the original unit had issues, it was not the plastic 'top hat' one. You can get that type both with and without a primer button by the way...

There are some types too with coolant passages aka early 405 / 205 but these are best avoided due to excess plumbing, coolant air lock potential with such modifications not to mention most types of these have the split filter so you have a top and bottom part with the filter sandwiched in the middle which is quite messy to change too.

Regarding that plastic white thermovalve, if its not already leaking you may get away with something suitable to bung it (avoid sealant)

Regarding fuel heating, well the 205 had the nasty 'back of block' heater that loved to take in air, so I made a heater using some standard 15/16mm plumbing pipe and a piece of microbore pipe. I gently squashed them one at a time in a vice to give one 'side' a flattish edge. I then cleaned them up with rough emery and clamped them side by side. At this stage I was able to place a line of plumbers solder in the middle of them and take them to the gas stove (not recommended but I did not have a blowlamp to hand!)

The 'microbore' pipe had the fuel supply from the bulkhead pipe to the filter head. The larger plumbing pipe had the coolant return feed to the bottle as this permanently circulates plus it was easier than trying to cut into the heater hose too.

Pics...

The cable ties are *not* holding it together they are just there for the sake of it ;)

I painted it in black smooth-rite (minus the ends) a bit after taking those pics. I ran that for a long time without issue. "Your miles may vary" as they say but I found it does not heat the fuel "enough" to be anywhere near the ignition / flashing point for diesel...

The factory top hat type 'thermovalve' from memory actually only heats fuel up to about 15c from what I recall anyway. :)
Last edited by spider on 22 Nov 2016, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spider

Post by spider »

Actually I just found this > https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=29244 , I'd already sort of covered it :D
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:Heating can be arranged James... Coil the filter inlet pipe around the top hose ;)

Back in the 70's you could buy a kit to allow your screen wash to be heated like that before it hit the windscreen!
I looked at this for my 205 "back then" but they were plastic so not ideal for fuel. The alternative I tried coiling copper pipe even with sand filled did not work too well. :) But I was too mean to buy a tool to do it. :oops:
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Your heater solution is very elegant Andy... I like it...

It would be even more effective if the small copper pipe was tightly coiled around the cooper coolant pipe...

No special tools needed. Just make sure the small pipe is well annealed ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:Your heater solution is very elegant Andy... I like it...

It would be even more effective if the small copper pipe was tightly coiled around the cooper coolant pipe...

No special tools needed. Just make sure the small pipe is well annealed ;)
I did try that Jim :) I used (read: wasted) a bit of microbore pipe trying that so it looked like the 'heated washer jet adaptor' things but I guess it was lack of experience. I'd not annealed the pipe either which no doubt did not help. :oops:

If I do it again, at least I'm well armed now to deal with it.

I do not have a pic of it in black smooth-rite unfortunately, although it blended in quite well. Reminds me of the metal lower coolant pipe (Between the bottom radiator hoses) I obtained a new one as a matter of course when I was changing the water pump and that (apart from the ribbed ends) had a healthy does of rust proofing too. Timed that quite well actually as the old one was upon removal and inspection not far off crumbing. :D
Andy.

kiwifrog
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 93 Xantia 1.9 TD
66 VW Panelvan
93 ST1100 Honda m/c

Post by kiwifrog »

Cool thanks for all the input , does anyone know what the sensor is on the back of the stock filter canister ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

kiwifrog wrote:does anyone know what the sensor is on the back of the stock filter canister ?
Yes, that's the water in fuel sensor and it will light a lamp on the dash if it detects water in the bottom of the filter housing as a result of watery diesel.

It's shocking for crying wolf and was deleted in later cars. Most now are disconnected...

It can be fully disregarded as not needed :)
Jim

kiwifrog
(Donor 2020)
66 VW Panelvan
93 ST1100 Honda m/c

Post by kiwifrog »

I removed the filter housing to get a better look at the thermostat, O ring is VERY brittle and split. I will get a new O ring and make sure the thermo is clocked properly to get correct flow, refit and hopefully problem solved. PS there was a lot of crud in the bottom of the housing so its now spotless.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Kiwi :D That star clip is jolly hard to get off so well done!

Make sure any replacement O ring is diesel-proof by soaking likely candidates in a jar of diesel for a while... Some may well not be... Same applies to their LHM suitability...

Try to get an O ring made of Viton if at all possible..
Jim

kiwifrog
(Donor 2020)
66 VW Panelvan
93 ST1100 Honda m/c

Post by kiwifrog »

Yes I nearly lost the star clip when I went flying across my bench. There is another small O ring I just discovered stuck inside the thermo hole.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ping!!!!! I know exactly what you mean...

Technically it's referred to as a 'pingf**kit' :lol:

Is that other O Ring on the other end of the white part?
Jim

spider

Post by spider »

I'm 99% sure if you just screw in a plastic bolt or something (might have to carefully tap the housing, not too deep!) you will have permanent fuel heating.

Last time I looked that part itself the thermovalve is not available separately. Its the complete housing unit.

Regarding the 'water in fuel' as Jim has said it was deleted from later models, they either have a bung in there or the housing is not tapped for it. Interestingly the wiring multiplug is still in the loom on some models but I guess that's half expected.
Andy.

kiwifrog
(Donor 2020)
66 VW Panelvan
93 ST1100 Honda m/c

Post by kiwifrog »

CitroJim wrote:Ping!!!!! I know exactly what you mean...

Yes correct, it got left behind when I pulled the thermo out.
spider

Post by spider »

kiwifrog wrote:

Yes correct, it got left behind when I pulled the thermo out.
You need a set of these, very useful for small o-rings and the like, much better than struggling with a "terminal" type screwdriver:

http://www.toolsandfishing.co.uk/draper ... 1037-p.asp

I have a set (but not this brand) and although they are not used that often they are quite invaluable when you do need them. They are quite small, might not be obvious from the picture.
Andy.