ZX 1.9D TDC Help!!?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andrew Robey
My Cars:

ZX 1.9D TDC Help!!?

Post by Andrew Robey »

I'm really struggling to find TDC on my ZX...? Have got the Haynes' instructions, BUT....
First point is that I don't see any way to get both holes in the injection pump sprocket lined up with their holes - the positioning is all wrong. I can get ONE lined up, with the Camshaft sprocket hole also in right place...BUT Cylinder 1 is on exhaust stroke (I've got the rocker cover off and can see the valves opening/closing). Again, there appears to be no way to get the Camshaft sproket lined up with C1 valves closed...?!
Finally, although need to sort the above first, where in God's name is the cylinder block hole for the flywheel TDC pin...?! If I crawl on the floor and shine a torch up under the starter motor, I can just see a little hole above and behind motor, but it bears no relation to the (fuzzy)Haynes picture..?!
HELP.[xx(]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Have you tried turning the engine over one complete cycle- the injection pump only rotates at half engine speed, so you may have to turn it over a couple of times to get them to match. And yes, that little hole is the one you're looking for. In fact its actually a lot easier to find if you take the starter motor off first.
//NiSk
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The engine is timed with No.4 piston, thats nearest the cam belt, if this is the one you are working on and both the pump sprocket peg holes wont line up at the same time as the camshaft probe holes, then the timing is not correct.
The crank timing probe location is behind the starter motor, those not used to finding it should remove the starter to make this job easier, once you know where it is, with a decent probe it can be re-located without the need to remove the starter.
The pulley keyway on the crankshaft will line up with the cylinders when the probe is inserted into the flywheel, just remember that the engine leans rearwards, meaning the keyway will be slightly to the rear by the same amount.
Dave
Andrew Robey
My Cars:

Post by Andrew Robey »

Dave,
The Haynes categorically says, and I quote, "for the purpose of timing the engine, TDC referes to the position of No 1 cylinder at the top of it's compression stroke. On all engines in this manual (XUD), No 1 cyliner is at the flywheel end of the engine"
Could they really have got it THIS wrong...??![:0]
Working on No 4 (timing belt end), I get the hole in the camshaft sprocket and ONE of the pump sprocket hols to line in with TDC.
Still fiddling around trying to get a bolt in the flywheel!!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hehe..you could have the original BOL then, its well at odds with my four books, and they don't make a distinction between turbo and naturally aspirated versions, nor do they need to because they are basicaly the same engine.
No1 at the flywheel but timed with No4. at the other end, yours should be no different.
Dave
Andrew Robey
My Cars:

Post by Andrew Robey »

Flywheel pin now in!
Took the starter motor off in the end, as the front of my engine is liberally coated with oil from the filler, and I didn't fancy smearing it all over my arms and hands!
Erm, Dave, not sure I understand 'original BOL'..? Maybe I'm just being dense, but would you expand on that...? Means nowt to me.
That's all for today now - a happy Sunday tomorrow with my arms wedged down the side of the engine trying to undo all the engine mounting / tensioner fixings. Joy![}:)]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hehe BOL = Book Of Lies.
Dave
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Burns</i>

Hehe BOL = Book Of Lies.
Dave
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
AKA The Haynes Manual...