xantia rear brake excessive fluctuation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Plum
My Cars:

xantia rear brake excessive fluctuation

Post by John Plum »

My question regarding an MOT failure for rear brake excessive fluctuation is, if the rear height corrector cylinder is not good (permits sinking) would this affect braking efficiency and balance?
Its a Xantia MK 2
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: xantia rear brake excessive fluctuation

Post by CitroJim »

No, not when the engine is running John...

I suspect you have the old familiar 'wedging' problem and need to overhaul your calipers... There are plenty of threads about this very subject and the precautions to be taken..

Have a look at this thread to gain an idea of how to remove the caliper bolts safely and how to clean up any corrosion...

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=31410
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This is the first thread I posted on, with the same issue. It also has decent photographs clearly showing what the problem is;

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=38467
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Muchos Grathias gentlemen :)

I did a complete overhaul a couple of years ago. But I'l be taking a close look to see how they have fared. Possibly jus need bleeding and re-greasing on the slide. I had used copper slip, but I'm thinking they need something better.... whatever that might be. They started to squeal.
John Plum
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

James, thanks for posting up that link :D I was looking for it but could not find it... I must 'SuperSticky' it now it's found again...

John, when you last overhauled the rears did you replace the thin tin covers over the calipers? I ask as I've seen them discarded in the past and that's a recipe for lots of road crud to contaminate things badly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Ah well, Jim, thats a very good question:
I did everything, even red oxide on the cleaned-up metal, and used a paper gasket, But: Replace those tin covers? No. The sheer time delay and hell of getting them on an awkward journey.... I felt bad about it at the time, but managed to forget about it.

Do you reckon they are even available?
Last edited by John Plum on 14 Nov 2016, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
John Plum
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

BTW, you shouldn't use copperslip or similar metal-loaded grease on any joints that move in normal operation, as it is slightly abrasive and will cause wear.
You also shouldn't use on brake calipers, as it is not temperature stable, and when the brakes get hot, it will run and contaminate the pads (which could be your current problem).
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The other problem with using a metal based grease is that the corrosion is caused by an electrolytic reaction between the metal of the calliper and the training arm, and adding a third metal to the mix may well make things worse. I have considered putting a thin piece of plastic between the arm and calliper, to act as a shield between them.

Euro Car Parts do have those rear brake kits available, and are not expensive (under £10 for both sides), but I would check the kit before leaving the store. The first one I bought had a split in the bag, and a few bits were missing. The salesman agreed that this was not my fault, ordered another set, and checked it personally when it came in.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Citro ... 30c&000416
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:The other problem with using a metal based grease is that the corrosion is caused by an electrolytic reaction between the metal of the calliper and the training arm, and adding a third metal to the mix may well make things worse. I have considered putting a thin piece of plastic between the arm and calliper, to act as a shield between them.
I cut a paper gasket, spread it with grease, and used that. Worked nicely. Now poised to re-inspect after two years...
John Plum
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

John Plum wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:The other problem with using a metal based grease is that the corrosion is caused by an electrolytic reaction between the metal of the calliper and the training arm, and adding a third metal to the mix may well make things worse. I have considered putting a thin piece of plastic between the arm and calliper, to act as a shield between them.
I cut a paper gasket, spread it with grease, and used that. Worked nicely. Now poised to re-inspect after two years...
Would be nice to see the strip down photos to see the results of that.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Here you are then: a link to my previous overhaul, with gasket visible in pictures:

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 19#p425819
John Plum
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

John, that's valuable link back to a valuable thread on this subject :D

Very interesting comments on the use of copper grease, thanks for that. Stuff I was unaware of...
Jim

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I do this every year just to check on the brake condition. But I found that greaseproof paper was only lasting one year and needed replacement each time. Someone on the forum suggested the thick black damproof plastic membrane. I've used that for nearly 3 years with no problem. The easiest way to ascertain whether you have a problem with the back brakes is to jack each side up in turn and give the wheels a good turn.. they should turn with hardly any resistance and rotate at least 3 or 4 times before stopping. If they don't you need to strip the brakes.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

c.morewood wrote: The easiest way to ascertain whether you have a problem with the back brakes is to jack each side up in turn and give the wheels a good turn.. they should turn with hardly any resistance and rotate at least 3 or 4 times before stopping. If they don't you need to strip the brakes.
Ive inspected the 1mm gasket paper (greased) - its fine. Your spin check is a good one. mine are not spinning nicely , unlike when when I last re-fitted them with all new pads and discs. Although I cleaned ups and greased the pins and edges nicely at that time, I think it probably needed new pins. I'm about to take off the pads now to inspect them.
John Plum
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, ECP do sell the rear brake kits, with the covers, springs and all.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+