Xantia full beam headlights not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Xantia full beam headlights not working

Post by Dommo »

Hi all

Does anyone know whether there is a specific relay that engages the full beam lights on a Xantia? I've read in the owners manual that the headlights are on individual fuses under the engine bay fusebox, I figure it is unlikely for both full beam lights to have failed so am I right to think there will be a relay lurking somewhere? This is on my '96-'97 Activa. The full beam tell-tail on the dashboard still lights when I try and flash someone but the actual bulbs at the front of the car don't light.

I did find this thread regarding a similar issue, but I can't open the links, Jim have these disappeared?
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=25026

Thank you.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia full beam headlights not working

Post by RichardW »

Dommo wrote:I figure it is unlikely for both full beam lights to have failed
Possibly, but it's the most likely cause, so I would check them before you go on a wild goose chase only to find they are both knackered :lol:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dommo wrote: I did find this thread regarding a similar issue, but I can't open the links, Jim have these disappeared?
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=25026
Try them now Dom,

I have fixed the links..

Sorry for the delay I was out all yesterday...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

IF the cross over wires have gone.....don't bother fixing them.
Just make a new loom for the lights and take the opportunity to do the "headlamp mod" adding bypass relays and new earths.

http://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52577
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Sticky - I have done that mod on my white VSX already so know it is a good idea to do. But I would like to fix the stock set up to buy some time if it's something simple.

Thanks Jim, I'll have a look at the pictures now. I tried reading the voltage at the bulbs last night but unfortunately I discovered that my multi meter no longer works, I think the leads are damaged :( I did look at the bulbs however and they don't look to have any damage on the filament at all. I'll try checking the voltage with one of my dads multi meters next time I see him.

Thanks guys.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

You can buy replacement leads for a multimeter fairly cheaply.
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

So it would appear that while both bulbs look PERFECTLY intact, they were in fact both blown! Who'd have thought it?

And my dad has repaired my multi meter - the connector had fractured off the main board so he resoldered it back on for me.

Cheers chaps.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dommo wrote:So it would appear that while both bulbs look PERFECTLY intact, they were in fact both blown! Who'd have thought it?
Seen that a few times now Dom, in all sorts of bulbs... Mainly in small ones...

Bloody frustrating isn't it :twisted:

Still, delighted it was a simple and easy fix!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Certainly is frustrating Jim - it's great that it's a simple fix but I really didn't expect both full beam bulbs to look perfectly OK and both have failed at exactly the same time, very odd!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I had exactly the same thing happen to me on a Renault 4 in 1980 Dom. The difference was that car had 6v electrics and the bulbs were ordinary tungsten...

Never found a reason.. Like yours, maybe just old age and coincidence...

The only car I've owned with worse lights than an XM but only marginally so :lol:
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Do bulbs fail sooner if run at a lesser voltage than designed for ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Bulbs tend to blow as they power up. I know somebody who built an advanced audio linked lighting system, that could very accurately track stereo sound placement, and different colour lights for the bass, mid-range and treble tones. At first it would eat light bulbs like they were going out of fashion, so he scratched his head a bit, and then added a little tweak to the program. When the unit powered up it switched on a low power feed to the bulbs, so as to keep the elements warm. This meant that there was a huge drop in bulb failures, as it reduced the thermal shock.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Stickyfinger wrote:Do bulbs fail sooner if run at a lesser voltage than designed for ?
Not in my experience.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James (HR) Yes, a soft-start is an excellent idea for extending the life of anything with a filament in it... Often in valve heater chains a thermistor will be used to achieve the same as your friend's software did...

Most household incandescent bulbs blow immediately on switch-on...

James (Elma) Yes, under-running helps enormously. It's why I always keep my Xantia dash bulbs dim!
Jim

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Modern stage lighting almost always uses filament pre-heat, to avoid bulb failure during critical performances.
Reason bulbs blow on switch-on from cold is simple: a tungsten filament's resistance increases with temperature, like most (but not all) materials. So, when it's cold, a large current rushes in; when hot, the resistance rises and limits the current to the proper working level. Pre-heating (feeding enough voltage in so the filament is hot, but not producing visible light) gets the resistance up, gently, to approaching working level. It also makes sense for things like old-style traffic lights, pre-CFL and -LED.

Reducing the voltage on a tungsten lamp by 10% increases lamp life by 400%, iirc*.
Over-running by 10% reduces lamp life to 85%*.
*Long time since I looked this up; do check.

"Long life" tungsten bulbs are usually simply made to run at maximum on a higher voltage (eg 250v), and so in normal use are "under-run". Decades ago, both British Rail and NCB (coal mines) had a requirement for long life lamps for tunnels and other inaccessible places. The approached the big lamp companies with their requirement, but the companies declined to offer a product. BR, NCB and London Transport resolved to set up their own lamp production factory, at which point the commercial lamp manufacturers capitulated. Thus was born (among others) the famous British Home Stores "Long Life Lamp", from my father's company, Crompton.

If replacing small lamps in instrumentation and dashboards, always go for 14v items, not 12v. Alternatively, simply make use of the dimmer!
Chris