C5 rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Guy3326
My Cars: Citroen C5 bus

C5 rear suspension

Post by Guy3326 »

Hi all just need someone to point me in the right direction if possible i know this may have have been covered a 1000 times on here before but its some times easier to just ask than searching through a 100 different threads...... so my C5 has started to leak quite a bit of fluid from the osr ... i have lifted the car up and found it to really start leak out of the shocker gaiter when its jacked up .... so i removed the big clip holding the gaiter on and slid it down and found the inside of the gaiter to be full of oil is this normal ??? ..... this now made the push rod visible which was quite losse within its housing i could wiggle it about quite a bit which made more oil leak out ..... will this have to be a full new shock absorber or can you remove reseal / repair the push rod / leaking seals ect ..... thanks
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: C5 rear suspension

Post by lexi »

You can renew the seals and gaitors. Make sure you are jacking the car while on high setting. The fluid can come out if it is not on high while jacking. High level in reservoir can make this worse. This happened to mine when I forgot to put on high while jacking.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
BOTW
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5, 2.0Hdi 2001
Peugeot 307SX, 2004
Citroen XM

Post by BOTW »

It's normal. Oil should be added into the gaitor after you change it. Check gaitor and clamps. On mine the gaitors were dry, had cracks and the clamps didn't keep the gaitor tight onto the strut. Seals and gaitors can be changed from the R-clip end, without removing the strut from it's retaining plate.

Skickat från min SM-G903F via Tapatalk
Guy3326
My Cars: Citroen C5 bus

Post by Guy3326 »

Thanks for your replys i dont think i had it in high mode when i jacked it up will try it next time .... the gaiter underneath seems to be wet but the fluid level is hardly moving so im leaving it for now i think