Citroen C5 Maintenance Interval.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sunderas
My Cars: 2009 Citroën C5 Exclusive 2.0 Hdi

Citroen C5 Maintenance Interval.

Post by Sunderas »

Hi all.

I am new in these forums partially due to the fact that I've recently acquired a 2009 Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi Exclusive.
I have a manual for it's maintenance but to be fairly honest it looks a bit dodgy. As such I would like to ask you guys/girls what is the maintenance intervals for this model. I would also like to know which ones are the major ones (not just oil and filter change) and at what millage & year do these occur. :?:

Also if anyone's here from Cheshire area, could you recommend a decently priced garage? I am not looking at dirt cheap. Just good but not plain robbery like the main dealerships/garages seem to be.

Thank you all in advance.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen C5 Maintenance Interval.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There is a section on this forum for recommended garages, and here is the link;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... m.php?f=15

Welcome to the forum, by the way. I have a 2004 C5 HDi, and the service interval on her is 12,500 miles. I also have a Haynes manual (known as BoL, for Book of Lies!), and that does have the major service interval details.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

For the 2.0 HDi, it's every 20,500 miles / or 2 years or 12,500 miles or 1 year for harsh or hard driving conditions as a rule. Some go for a more frequent oil change though in between services.

Your timing belt will depend on exact engine you have:
for the 2.0 HDi DW10BTED4 / RHR (136 PS (134 hp/100 kW)) it will be 140,000 miles or 10 years
for the 2.0 HDi DW10BTED4 / RHF (140 PS (138 hp/103 kW)) it will be 95,000 miles or 10 years
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I've uploaded a pdf of the service spec for your C5. The formatting leaves a little to be desired, but all the info is there - it just takes a careful read to make sure it all makes sense :)
http://www.filedropper.com/e3am0105p0
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Welcome
I had to change my 2.0 hdi 163 2010 engine due to a failed turbo and oil pump :) I think it was FSH in fact quite sure..
I probably could have fixed it, still have the engine and don't think there is much else wrong with it - but

never will I wait 20K to change the oil after this...
(I bought it broken so it wasn't unexpected)

John
Sunderas

Post by Sunderas »

GiveMeABreak wrote:For the 2.0 HDi, it's every 20,500 miles / or 2 years or 12,500 miles or 1 year for harsh or hard driving conditions as a rule. Some go for a more frequent oil change though in between services.

Your timing belt will depend on exact engine you have:
for the 2.0 HDi DW10BTED4 / RHR (136 PS (134 hp/100 kW)) it will be 140,000 miles or 10 years
for the 2.0 HDi DW10BTED4 / RHF (140 PS (138 hp/103 kW)) it will be 95,000 miles or 10 years
Is there a way I can find out which one has been fitted on mine
Do you think the water pump has to be replaced at the same time or does it have a different longevity? I just don't want to encounter the problem plenty of Insignia owners have found that the manual tells them to replace the belt and only the water pump some thousands of miles later, when the latter seizes and the engine goes kablamo! Thanks!
Sunderas

Post by Sunderas »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:There is a section on this forum for recommended garages, and here is the link;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... m.php?f=15

Welcome to the forum, by the way. I have a 2004 C5 HDi, and the service interval on her is 12,500 miles. I also have a Haynes manual (known as BoL, for Book of Lies!), and that does have the major service interval details.
Thank you! :-D
Sunderas

Post by Sunderas »

I will need to replace the "fabulous" chinese/whatever tires this care came with on the front and replace the crusty old Primacy (which I think are the factory ones), on the back.
The car comes with some rather nice 17 in alloys but the measurement for the stock tyre is quite odd. It is a 225/55 R17. This makes it hard to find decent tires with these markings below ~100 pound mark, unless you are mounting some budget tyres. This leaves me with a dilema. Tyres with 45 depth at the same 225 R17 sizing come with a much more pleasant price tags. Decent branded tires can be found near the ~75 pound mark, making it a considrable ~100 pound saving.
Is it feasible to make that replacement? I know the tires are thinner and comfort will suffer a bit, but my wallet won't and I really want to avoid the dodgy budget tires (just saw a test done to 3 branded tires and 3 budget ones and the "worst" branded one took 6 meters less to stop that the dodgiest of the cheapos in dry conditions and almost 9 in wet o.o !).
Will the car look hidious even if this change is possible?

Thanks! :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sunderas wrote: Is there a way I can find out which one has been fitted on mine
Do you think the water pump has to be replaced at the same time or does it have a different longevity? Thanks!
If you post or PM your VIN, I can tell you what engine you have. As far as the water pump goes, it is almost always recommended to have that done at the same time as it easier to access at the same time the cam belt is being done and will save you labour costs when it eventually needs replacing.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sunderas wrote:I will need to replace the "fabulous" chinese/whatever tires this care came with on the front and replace the crusty old Primacy (which I think are the factory ones), on the back.
The car comes with some rather nice 17 in alloys but the measurement for the stock tyre is quite odd. It is a 225/55 R17. This makes it hard to find decent tires with these markings below ~100 pound mark, unless you are mounting some budget tyres. Will the car look hideous even if this change is possible?
Thanks! :)
I've had a huge range of tyres on my X7, which are the same size wheels as yours. There are / were plenty of tyres sub-£100 that do just fine and I live in rural Wales - so the roads are like flapjacks. I personally don't bother getting tyres from the usual places like Kwik Fit or ATS or National Tyres, opting instead to have them delivered and then getting them fitted. You can save significant amounts of money and get the tyres you want - as the depots usually only flog the tryes they are contracted to sell and don't have the choice.

I have used these: Camskill
and these: Oponeo

Falken, Fortuna, Kumho all do the job and last as long as the Premium branded tyres IMO - and I used to go through a set of fronts every 5 months. Always check the Noise levels, the wet braking and economy tags and you can't go wrong. I never stick the really cheap ones on, but never had any issues with the mid range.

The 225 55 17 W are the recommended tyres. Although there were other sizes available - they may have different sized rims and disks, so be aware of this and if you do change anything -let your insurance know... It has been commented that lower profile tyres can be noisier on the X7, so consider that and also that a lot of the front bumps are soaked up by the tyres first! :)

Marc
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

As for the water pump, I'd change it anyway.
They're not expensive, and so much hassle to change that you might as well do it while the belt's off.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Tyres - this is my personal opinion - gained from personal experience.
I used to buy 'cheap' tyres for my Mk1 C5, mainly due to the fact that they had a good warranty scheme, and they were cheap - about £55 each, but will not again.
My reason for this is that I found that I was replacing the cheap tyres every 9-10,000 miles, due to the outer 1/3 of the tread pattern wearing below the legal, the reason for this was roundabouts, - I realised that if I approached a roundabout fairly quickly the side walls would cave in, the tyres would then start to roll under the wheels, then I would over-steer to compensate, the result would be worn tyres. Once I started fitting Michelins to the Mk1, I managed to get nearer 20,000 miles per set.

note - to automatic drivers especially - Keep the same make/size of tyre on the same axle - the gearbox likes it that way. :-D

And.......... lower profile tyres by design do not 'roll' as much and do not 'give' as much when going over speed humps!!

I use Blackcircles to get a price, then go to my local tyre fitter who matches the price within £10. I trust my tyre fitter - the others...........?? :?: :?: :?: :?:
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Some good points there Stu - especially regarding keeping matched sets for auto users!

When I had the mid range tyres, they didn't wear on the outside - they just wore out! :rofl2: Not many roundabouts here either - but these days I drive within the limits, so I fear it's Sunday Driving syndrome creeping in (God I hope not). I used to use Black circles until they were taken over (AA I think) but can't be sure - maybe that was the other one - and their prices shot up, so voted with my wallet and went to the previously mentioned suppliers and had some great deals the others couldn't match. I think tyres are a personal thing and everyone is looking for something different in them - for me it's low noise good wet grip, but overall it has to be tread life for me. :-D

Marc
Sunderas

Post by Sunderas »

Hi all, Thank you so much for all your answers. As soon as I get some time in my hands I will definetely arrange for the tires. I just need to find were to get 'em fitted, balanced and aligned.

Another question arises. I was sure that this model would warn you when a lightbulb goes out. Thisis becuase I've been in several Peugeots around this time and they all immediately warned you (annoyingly some times) that a specific bulb went out.
The other day one of my H7 blew and no warning. I was stuck to driving with one for a couple of days. The moment I bought the new Philips xtreme the other one went the same way. Still no warning nor beeps nor nothing. Can anyone tell if this is normal or if it should be signaling something?

Thanks!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Yep, no bulb out indication in the early C5s.