upper radiator hose

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DublinChris
My Cars: 1998 Series 2 - 1.9TD owned from '98 216,000+ miles
Previously BX19DTR, BX19TD, BX19TZD

upper radiator hose

Post by DublinChris »

I am going to need to replace the top radiator hose part number 96133480 but the local Irish importer tells me that Citroen no longer make the part. Its the pipe that goes from rad to thermostat. I noticed when I went to check oil level that the part of hose from thermostat to the bend looked shiny/wet. It looks like it is sweating when hot and feels softer in that area so risk is its going to pop if system gets hot in traffic etc. Anybody got any ideas for original replacement parts? I have googled and I am coming up with part from Turkey which seems to be the ebay option. I also found a part from Mister Auto in UK but their part number is different - the photo shows a similar looking part but the description is a bit vague.

Thanks in advance
Let the good times roll

current every day 1998 Xantia turbo diesel 1905cc series 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: upper radiator hose

Post by CitroJim »

You'll need the one with the bayonet connector on the end Chris...

Problem is, if you can get a hose you may find you can't remove the bayonet from the rad cleanly and you may end up needing a new rad too and then you'll have the 'fun' with the bottom hose...

Given the potential aggro, I'd be tempted to splice in a new section of hose and not disturb the bayonets and rad...

Have you a link to the Mister Auto part? perhaps several eyes can make out something from it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/radiator-h ... ypeNr=4029

This is a link to the hose. I changed the rad a few years back (2011) so hoping that the old hose will come off cleanly - don't fancy getting another rad. Mind you the non genuine replacement I got which was considerably less than the cost of a genuine one - is not that great and I believe is contributing to a lot of the issues I have had having to replace various rubber components. The temperature rises too quickly in traffic etc and the fans cut in frequently. If stuck in long queues say up to an hour or so then there is not a great air flow and the system gets too hot rad is not that efficient. Once you hit open road temp drops right back down. Back in 2011 I could not afford the near €600 for a genuine one. I have replaced the bottom hose - that also took some work with part numbers etc eventually getting a genuine one. :cry:
Let the good times roll

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That hose from Mr. Auto looks right enough to me Chris... It's a bayonet type and cheap enough to take a risk..

Interesting on the performance of that after-market rad... Can you recall the make?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

CitroJim wrote:That hose from Mr. Auto looks right enough to me Chris... It's a bayonet type and cheap enough to take a risk..

Interesting on the performance of that after-market rad... Can you recall the make?
I have ordered the part from Mister Auto so see how that goes after that it might be a splicing job - other parts also available from Turkey.

The radiator I am reasonably sure was bought through GSF Car Parts - that's German Swedish French. It would have been approx Jan/Feb 2011 and I think it cost under €200 when the genuine article was something like €600 from Citroen. If I find the details I will post them up. :)
Let the good times roll

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Just looked at the hose on my 1.9TD - same ages as yours Chris - and It looks the same as the Mister Auto one...

GSF stuff is normally good and well up to the job... Often they supply OEM stuff - or often used to... Maybe times have changed...
Jim

DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

CitroJim wrote:Just looked at the hose on my 1.9TD - same ages as yours Chris - and It looks the same as the Mister Auto one...

GSF stuff is normally good and well up to the job... Often they supply OEM stuff - or often used to... Maybe times have changed...
Cheers Jim will let you know how it goes 8-)
Let the good times roll

wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

GSF offer different grades/quality against eeach part these days (but clearly identify if its cheap crap or quality). The quality stuff still is, as you say, oem equivalent.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

The radiator hose was fitted today and is a perfect fit 8-) For the record when I approached the local Irish importer and they checked part number 96133480 it was listed as no longer available from UK or France. After googling and finding a similar part ref Peugeot 1343N8 which was listed as fitting a range of Peugeots and Citroens including my model Xantia I went back to the local Irish importer and asked if they could get the Peugeot part. They checked and said yes they would have it the next day, so I ordered it on Friday and it was in Dublin yesterday.

Therefore for the record the top radiator hose 96133480 is exactly the same as part number 1343N8 8-)

Its kind of ironic that when replacement hoses are needed because they are old that Citroen don't supply them anymore :rofl2:
Let the good times roll

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Chris :D That's a result!

Also a very valuable bit of information on the part numbers... Thanks for that :)
Jim

wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Result! I had a similar problem with the bottom hose on my activa last year. NFP and no-where had any. Found that a diesel hose different part number (bought off ebay because it looked about right) fitted instead, though!
--
Iain

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

wurlycorner wrote:Result! I had a similar problem with the bottom hose on my activa last year. NFP and no-where had any. Found that a diesel hose different part number (bought off ebay because it looked about right) fitted instead, though!
Yes, the later (Bayonet hosed) 1.9TD (But not 2.1TD) and Activa TCT share bottom hoses and rads but not top hoses...

2.1TD also shares the same rad with the Activa and Bayonetted 1.9TD.
Jim

wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

The part numbers are different though :roll: and the diameter at the water pump end of the hose was larger by about 5mm (so not too large that a jubilee clip wouldn't sort it )
--
Iain

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A minor formality Iain ;)
Jim

wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Yep, just annoyed at how rubbish the cross referencing of parts is by Citroen. But then again... I expect no better!
--
Iain